Canada

Old Nov 18th 2015, 11:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I often equate the whole Island as like Lilliput - a little country in its own right. (you remember the People's Democratic Party for the Liberation of Cowes) or the PDPLC!!! That was me!
Splitter!!!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 2:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you live in London and are planning on moving to NS, then of course property will be much cheaper. If you're in Shropshire and moving to Vancouver, then it will be much more expensive.
Originally Posted by Moses2013
Indeed, but some people just don't get that. It's mostly the people who moved from a city to a rural part of Canada who say it's cheap, but if you lived in Northern Ireland and moved to Vancouver certainly not cheap at all.
While this is true that does involve people moving from one situation to the complete opposite. While that might be a dream for some folk, maybe moving from similar to similar is actually a bit more likely.

My 1900s 2-bed terraced house (small yard, no garage, no drive) in almost the cheapest part of Bristol when I bought, fetched £150k in 2005. My 4 bed detached, massive yard, big drive and garage in a city similar size to Bath and with all the advantages one gets from city living was a little over a third of that.

Two years ago my old house went for £195k. Current exchange makes that $390k.

$260k buys this in a good sized city an hour from Toronto.

Or this for $280k

Now Bristol is one of the more expensive areas for houses in the UK.

But then cities within an hour or two of Toronto are more expensive than many other parts of Canada too. Where I am - a city with two hospitals, many government offices, three universities and several colleges, lots of IT opportunities, huge retail, many call centres, transport hub, large catering, hotels etc - that $390k will by at least three 3-bed detached homes.

Low prices need not mean a lack of population, opportunities, amenities and all the rest.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
While this is true that does involve people moving from one situation to the complete opposite. While that might be a dream for some folk, maybe moving from similar to similar is actually a bit more likely. My 1900s 2-bed terraced house (small yard, no garage, no drive) in almost the cheapest part of Bristol when I bought, fetched £150k in 2005. My 4 bed detached, massive yard, big drive and garage in a city similar size to Bath and with all the advantages one gets from city living was a little over a third of that. Two years ago my old house went for £195k. Current exchange makes that $390k. $260k buys this in a good sized city an hour from Toronto. http://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS6358...e3351837_1.jpg Or this for $280k http://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS6358...e3352516_1.jpg Now Bristol is one of the more expensive areas for houses in the UK. But then cities within an hour or two of Toronto are more expensive than many other parts of Canada too. Where I am - a city with two hospitals, many government offices, three universities and several colleges, lots of IT opportunities, huge retail, many call centres, transport hub, large catering, hotels etc - that $390k will by at least three 3-bed detached homes. Low prices need not mean a lack of population, opportunities, amenities and all the rest.
We can bring many examples, but it's always down to what people are willing to pay and want. Of course you can get a lot more land for your money in remote locations of Canada where nobody wants to live, but overall cities are not cheap in Canada. Even in Canada many people live in small apartments.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 3:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasmarb
Wow surprised at the negativity!
I think I can clarify. The posters aren't for the most part being negative about Canada but are rather reacting negatively to your unsupported and apparently un-researched statement that you'd prefer to raise children there.

To use the well worn cliché: if we all had a penny for every time a new poster says this we could all afford to live in London.

You've been asked to clarify but so far haven't responded.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 4:08 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

All in good fun.

Bottom line is, for the most part, Canada is no better than the UK in generally living terms or opportunities, bringing up the kids, or house prices. Of course, if you're moving from a rubbish council estate to a nice suburb things will obviously be much different.

I think it's great that canadians move to Europe to live as it gives them a much wider appreciation of the world and culture rather than their weekly dose of tim hortons and strip malls.

Unfortunately many folks have to pay the financial and emotional expense to find out for themselves.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 4:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

While this is true that does involve people moving from one situation to the complete opposite. While that might be a dream for some folk, maybe moving from similar to similar is actually a bit more likely.

My 1900s 2-bed terraced house (small yard, no garage, no drive) in almost the cheapest part of Bristol when I bought, fetched £150k in 2005. My 4 bed detached, massive yard, big drive and garage in a city similar size to Bath and with all the advantages one gets from city living was a little over a third of that.

Two years ago my old house went for £195k. Current exchange makes that $390k.

$260k buys this in a good sized city an hour from Toronto.

http://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS6358...e3351837_1.jpg

Or this for $280k

http://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS6358...e3352516_1.jpg

Now Bristol is one of the more expensive areas for houses in the UK.

But then cities within an hour or two of Toronto are more expensive than many other parts of Canada too. Where I am - a city with two hospitals, many government offices, three universities and several colleges, lots of IT opportunities, huge retail, many call centres, transport hub, large catering, hotels etc - that $390k will by at least three 3-bed detached homes.

Low prices need not mean a lack of population, opportunities, amenities and all the rest.

Where my mum lives in the UK, her 3 bed lovely house backing onto a nice river in a quiet neighbourhood is worth around 150k GBP. She's on the cusp of beautiful countryside, 10 minute walk to the town centre with a Tesco, Sainsburys, a train station that gives easy access to loads of the country, and stuff. It's also within a 45 minute drive to 5 major cities with loads of employment opportunities and diversity, and within an hour of 4 international airports and a passenger ferry terminal. You can be on the beach within 35 minutes too nibbling on your fish & chips. No skiing though.

So you're right, low prices need not mean lack of population, opportunities, amenities and all the rest.

Can't get all the above in Moncton by the way :-)
Old Nov 18th 2015, 4:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can get a lot more land for your money in remote locations of Canada where nobody wants to live, but overall cities are not cheap in Canada. Even in Canada many people live in small apartments.
But I just gave you examples that are NOT in remote parts of Canada.

And houses. Not even apartments, of which there are more!

In just a small stretch along Lake Ontario between 45 and 90 minutes drive from Toronto there are over 150 houses under $400k each in their own cities of 80k to 150k populations.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 4:41 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Splitter!!!
In a crazy world the biggest fool is bound to be king.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I often equate the whole Island as like Lilliput - a little country in its own right. When I'm old enough to vote I'm going to campaign for independence - like I did for the Isle of Wight back in the day (you remember the People's Democratic Party for the Liberation of Cowes) or the PDPLC!!! That was me!
Caulkhead?
Old Nov 18th 2015, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We can bring many examples, but it's always down to what people are willing to pay and want. Of course you can get a lot more land for your money in remote locations of Canada where nobody wants to live, but overall cities are not cheap in Canada. Even in Canada many people live in small apartments.
If your willing to live in the middle part of the country, SK/MB seems pretty cheap to live in a city, housing in both of their larger city's seems reasonable.

But I am in BC lower mainland region, and so pretty much everywhere that isn't here seems cheaper for the most part......
Old Nov 18th 2015, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In just a small stretch along Lake Ontario between 45 and 90 minutes drive from Toronto there are over 150 houses under $400k each in their own cities of 80k to 150k populations.
Bit of a fixer upper, but seems okay. Oshawa wasn't exactly a small place, and is right next door to another fairly decent size city Whitby, pretty much offers anything you'd need on a regular basis, and isn't far from Toronto with many people commuting to Toronto from this region.

406 Gliddon Ave MLS®-E3348940 for Sale | RE/MAX
Old Nov 18th 2015, 5:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

We actually live here.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say that the houses you posted are in remote parts, because I don't know where they are. I just said that you will obviously get more land for your money in remote parts of Canada, compared to England. I also don't find those houses that cheap and I can find hundreds of houses under €150K only 30 mins away from where I live in the Rep of Ireland, however that's not the point. Don't forget that Bristol is England's sixth most populous city, so you can't compare it with Moncton. It would be more relaistic to compare with Ottawa. And it seems possible according to el_richo, as mentioned here:

Where my mum lives in the UK, her 3 bed lovely house backing onto a nice river in a quiet neighbourhood is worth around 150k GBP. She's on the cusp of beautiful countryside, 10 minute walk to the town centre with a Tesco, Sainsburys, a train station that gives easy access to loads of the country, and stuff. It's also within a 45 minute drive to 5 major cities with loads of employment opportunities and diversity, and within an hour of 4 international airports and a passenger ferry terminal. You can be on the beach within 35 minutes too nibbling on your fish & chips. No skiing though.

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 18th 2015 at 6:08 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 6:51 pm
Oscar nominated

I didn't say that the houses you posted are in remote parts
Well in response to me saying one could buy houses for a fraction of the cost of an older, smaller house in a cheap part of Bristol, coming back with "Of course you can get a lot more land for your money in remote locations of Canada where nobody wants to live" certainly sounded like you meant nobody could want to live where it was cheaper.
You also said "but overall cities are not cheap in Canada" but most of them are...just not the big ones.

I also don't find those houses that cheap
I don't either. They're double what I paid for mine. But the point I was making was like for like. City for city, rather than rural for city or city for rural.

Don't forget that Bristol is England's sixth most populous city, so you can't compare it with Moncton.
I didn't. I compared Bath to Moncton. But whether it's Bath or Bristol, we're still talking all the benefits of city living rather than moving rural to city.

It would be more relaistic to compare with Ottawa.
Comparing Bristol to the capital of Canada? Really?

And it seems possible according to el_richo, as mentioned here:

Not sure what that proves. Other than Sainsburys and Tesco that pretty much describes where I am and where three bedroom detached houses can be bought for less than £50k.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:27 pm
Beep

Not sure what that proves. Other than Sainsburys and Tesco that pretty much describes where I am and where three bedroom detached houses can be bought for less than £50k.
It proves as much as your previous post, that housing can be cheaper in areas that offer easy access to city, countryside, travel, amenities, diverse employment, etc.

Although i'm curious how the Fish & Chips are in Moncton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.