Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th

Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th

Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Blinkered by emotion.
Tempered by reality?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
Tempered by reality?
Homesickness?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Homesickness?
Hasn't your experience of living in Canada changed your perception of the place even a little bit?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Hasn't your experience of living in Canada changed your perception of the place even a little bit?
I can't speak of the whole of Canada but, of the GTA, yes. However, within 6 months of returning to Glasgow I knew I'd made a big mistake by basically suffocating my whole career.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point

As a Canadian and British Expat I appreciate Jenny's honesty and message, living in a rugged country like Canada is a challenge and not for everyone. I beg to differ with the mention that we fain our happiness or lack thereof, we love to be honest and grind peoples gears at the same time, possibly when folks left the UK it wasn't because they were desperate for a new beginning but more likely sick of the 'whining/moaning' of those left behind.

As for drugs in highschools, a large majority of teenagers across the globe experiment during those years. Having gone to school in both at that age, the UK is no different by comparison.

For a straight forward talking Canadian like myself that may lack the creativity to go above sarcasm in his humour, "we will certainly miss you Jenny", have fun back home!

I love the UK, I love Canada, and I love that they are not the same place, and that much is an honest declaration.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 6:48 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rdashmore

As for drugs in highschools, a large majority of teenagers across the globe experiment during those years. Having gone to school in both at that age, the UK is no different by comparison.

I would disagree drinking is a huge problem for UK teenagers in comparison to Canadian teenagers..where as drugs seems more prevalent here in Canada..probably because UK kids are too busy drinking to have time to take drugs to the same extent.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I would disagree drinking is a huge problem for UK teenagers in comparison to Canadian teenagers..where as drugs seems more prevalent here in Canada..probably because UK kids are too busy drinking to have time to take drugs to the same extent.
At least the UK teenagers are paying taxes and not contributing to the violence and exploitation of the illegal drug trade.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

At least the UK teenagers are paying taxes and not contributing to the violence and exploitation of the illegal drug trade.
Oh really?

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/881841-b...se-deaths-soar

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ld-use-cocaine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nnabis-16.html
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:17 pm

In proportion to Canadian teenagers who seem to be held up as some of model of ethical standards because they merely druggies.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rdashmore
As a Canadian and British Expat I appreciate Jenny's honesty and message, living in a rugged country like Canada is a challenge and not for everyone. I beg to differ with the mention that we fain our happiness or lack thereof, we love to be honest and grind peoples gears at the same time, possibly when folks left the UK it wasn't because they were desperate for a new beginning but more likely sick of the 'whining/moaning' of those left behind.

For a straight forward talking Canadian like myself that may lack the creativity to go above sarcasm in his humour, "we will certainly miss you Jenny", have fun back home!

I love the UK, I love Canada, and I love that they are not the same place, and that much is an honest declaration.
+1
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How is nicking booze from the local off licence or breaking into working mens clubs and nicking the booze paying taxes?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
How is nicking booze from the local off licence or breaking into working mens clubs and nicking the booze paying taxes?
What makes you think its nicked?

Supermarkets sell booze, disinterested 16 year old checkout staff have no interest in policing other kids.

As the parallel thread points out, these studies are mostly carried out in a fairly well thought out acaedmically rigid way, with well defined, statistically valid data parameters. I havent looked at the study, but if its anything like the international literacy/ numeracy comparisons the difference between 5th and 18th (or 38th) in real terms is usually pretty microscopic. I dont know why people get all heated over it to be honest.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 5th 2012 at 7:50 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
That's so 1970s. These little Herberts.

Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

That's so 1970s. These little Herberts.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...gh-Cho-008.jpg
That's Former Lancastrian 3rd from the left, on the chopper!.... have you been hacking his private picture files again
Old Apr 5th 2012, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
What makes you think its nicked?

Supermarkets sell booze, disinterested 16 year old checkout staff have no interest in policing other kids.

As the parallel thread points out, these studies are mostly carried out in a fairly well thought out acaedmically rigid way, with well defined, statistically valid data parameters. I havent looked at the study, but if its anything like the international literacy/ numeracy comparisons the difference between 5th and 18th (or 38th) in real terms is usually pretty microscopic. I dont know why people get all heated over it to be honest.
I did an academic study when I was a copper in Preston in the 80s.
It was purely based on the number of arrests I had made or break ins attended and subsequent enquiries led to the arrest of teenagers responsible for nicking booze.
Smart teenagers get adults to buy the booze for them so in reality taxes were being paid. Plus isnt it illegal for a 16 yr old to be selling booze never mind iding persons of their age.
Good picture Oink brings back memories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.