Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th

Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th

Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...srael-UAE.html

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canad...164148262.html

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 4th 2012 at 11:46 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th

Hasn't this been done before? Happy Canadians thread
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Do they not realize us Brits are happy when we bitch,we tell it as we see it.
Canadians will tell you all is great even if their lives are falling apart so in my view just another waste of time and money poll
Old Apr 5th 2012, 6:06 am
Just Joined

jenny heading home is an unknown quantity at this point

what a load of rubbish.....many many canadians are so miserable, ignorant and rude.....they say have a great day....just out of habit, most of them don't actually mean it...they are so false and defiantly do not have a sense of humour....cant wait to get back to normality in the UK where we actually say what we mean, don't shy away from confrontation and live amongst genuine people again....pheww its been a long 2 years.....think twice people, and do lots of research on here before you make the move....there are lots of things covered up to make this place look like a dream .... like for instance the huge drugs problems in the high schools here, the crime rates...the UK is not such a bad place after all......read peoples stories on "moving back to the uk"
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jenny heading home
what a load of rubbish.....many many canadians are so miserable, ignorant and rude.....they say have a great day....just out of habit, most of them don't actually mean it...they are so false and defiantly do not have a sense of humour....cant wait to get back to normality in the UK where we actually say what we mean, don't shy away from confrontation and live amongst genuine people again....pheww its been a long 2 years.....think twice people, and do lots of research on here before you make the move....there are lots of things covered up to make this place look like a dream .... like for instance the huge drugs problems in the high schools here, the crime rates...the UK is not such a bad place after all......read peoples stories on "moving back to the uk"
Blinkered by emotion.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 8:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Blinkered by emotion.
So you know JHH personally then? It's just that I can't see anything in her previous posts to say she's emotional at the moment, instead it just looks to me as if she's put her perfectly valid viewpoint across.

It is an open forum after all, just because an opinion differs from yours doesn't mean you have to get personal or say it's 'blinkered by emotion'.

Just sayin'.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 8:28 am
Just Joined

tomparker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jenny heading home
......Drugs were a massive problem in our daughters high school and including all you've mentioned above, and lots more, one of the main reasons we came back to the UK after just a year and a half in Canada
Old Apr 5th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Last edited by phat-dave; Apr 5th 2012 at 9:47 am.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So you know JHH personally then? It's just that I can't see anything in her previous posts to say she's emotional at the moment, instead it just looks to me as if she's put her perfectly valid viewpoint across.

It is an open forum after all, just because an opinion differs from yours doesn't mean you have to get personal or say it's 'blinkered by emotion'.

Just sayin'.
Looks familiar. Been there, done it and had the same emotions. If she thinks I'm an ass then fair enough but when someone's argument is so black and white, it usually means they're not thinking clearly (like I was).
Does a whole nation have to be tarred with the same brush? And the UK is so much better?

"there are lots of things covered up to make this place look like a dream". Yes, this is a rational statement.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Does a whole nation have to be tarred with the same brush? And the UK is so much better?
You just did
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
You just did
Please explain. I'm not with you. Question marks imply that I'm asking this, rather than making a statement. The comparisons were made by Jenny, not me.

Last edited by Tony-the-Tigger; Apr 5th 2012 at 2:59 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Please explain. I'm not with you. Question marks imply that I'm asking this, rather than making a statement. The comparisons were made by Jenny, not me.
"UK" = generalising. The question is loaded to tar with the same brush.

Localisation is the key
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Just sayin'.
Right - nothing wrong with a different opinion but some do have more value than others. There's a wide range of experiences and opinions. Her experience is unfortunate but certainly not typical and it has coloured her viewpoint and the language she uses. Her post was full of sweeping negative generalizations which are not true in my experience.

When considering opinions you have to be able to determine their value. Hers is an outlier and statistically is not going to apply to the vast majority of people. Seems like she just landed on one end of the bell curve. Does that make it "a valid viewpoint"? Maybe in your opinion but many would disagree.

It's not like there isn't a drug problem in the UK. It's not like the UK doesn't have crime. I remember reading an article a year or so ago that had the UK ranked as the most violent country in the EU with violent crimes rates above the US and South Africa. Is that also a "valid viewpoint"?

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 5th 2012 at 3:53 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
"UK" = generalising. The question is loaded to tar with the same brush.

Localisation is the key
The key is actually in the question marks. As I said, I'm not making a statement.

I agree with your generalising point though. Her experience can't be compared with the whole of Canada or Canadians, nor can it be compared with the whole of the UK.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Right - nothing wrong with a different opinion but some do have more value than others. There's a wide range of experiences and opinions. Her experience is unfortunate but certainly not typical and it has coloured her viewpoint and the language she uses. Her post was full of sweeping negative generalizations which are not true in my experience.

When considering opinions you have to be able to determine their value. Hers is an outlier and statistically is not going to apply to the vast majority of people. Seems like she just landed on one end of the bell curve. Does that make it "a valid viewpoint"? Maybe in your opinion but many would disagree.

It's not like there isn't a drug problem in the UK. It's not like the UK doesn't have crime. I remember reading an article a year or so ago that had the UK ranked as the most violent country in the EU with violent crimes rates above the US and South Africa. Is that also a "valid viewpoint"?
IMO, very well put.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.