British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canada-5th-happiest-country-uk-18th-753880/)

MarylandNed Apr 5th 2012 12:41 am

Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...srael-UAE.html

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canad...164148262.html

Almost Canadian Apr 5th 2012 12:53 am

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 
Hasn't this been done before? Happy Canadians thread;)

bigals Apr 5th 2012 12:59 am

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 
Do they not realize us Brits are happy when we bitch,we tell it as we see it.
Canadians will tell you all is great even if their lives are falling apart so in my view just another waste of time and money poll

jenny heading home Apr 5th 2012 7:06 am

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 
what a load of rubbish.....many many canadians are so miserable, ignorant and rude.....they say have a great day....just out of habit, most of them don't actually mean it...they are so false and defiantly do not have a sense of humour....cant wait to get back to normality in the UK where we actually say what we mean, don't shy away from confrontation and live amongst genuine people again....pheww its been a long 2 years.....think twice people, and do lots of research on here before you make the move....there are lots of things covered up to make this place look like a dream .... like for instance the huge drugs problems in the high schools here, the crime rates...the UK is not such a bad place after all......read peoples stories on "moving back to the uk"

Tony-the-Tigger Apr 5th 2012 8:01 am

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 

Originally Posted by jenny heading home (Post 9990033)
what a load of rubbish.....many many canadians are so miserable, ignorant and rude.....they say have a great day....just out of habit, most of them don't actually mean it...they are so false and defiantly do not have a sense of humour....cant wait to get back to normality in the UK where we actually say what we mean, don't shy away from confrontation and live amongst genuine people again....pheww its been a long 2 years.....think twice people, and do lots of research on here before you make the move....there are lots of things covered up to make this place look like a dream .... like for instance the huge drugs problems in the high schools here, the crime rates...the UK is not such a bad place after all......read peoples stories on "moving back to the uk"

Blinkered by emotion.

christmasoompa Apr 5th 2012 9:02 am

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger (Post 9990098)
Blinkered by emotion.

So you know JHH personally then? It's just that I can't see anything in her previous posts to say she's emotional at the moment, instead it just looks to me as if she's put her perfectly valid viewpoint across.

It is an open forum after all, just because an opinion differs from yours doesn't mean you have to get personal or say it's 'blinkered by emotion'.

Just sayin'.

tomparker Apr 5th 2012 9:28 am

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 

Originally Posted by jenny heading home (Post 9990033)
what a load of rubbish.....many many canadians are so miserable, ignorant and rude.....they say have a great day....just out of habit, most of them don't actually mean it...they are so false and defiantly do not have a sense of humour....cant wait to get back to normality in the UK where we actually say what we mean, don't shy away from confrontation and live amongst genuine people again....pheww its been a long 2 years.....think twice people, and do lots of research on here before you make the move....there are lots of things covered up to make this place look like a dream .... like for instance the huge drugs problems in the high schools here, the crime rates...the UK is not such a bad place after all......read peoples stories on "moving back to the uk"

:thumbsup: ......Drugs were a massive problem in our daughters high school and including all you've mentioned above, and lots more, one of the main reasons we came back to the UK after just a year and a half in Canada :D

phat-dave Apr 5th 2012 10:28 am

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 
...

Tony-the-Tigger Apr 5th 2012 10:45 am

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9990162)
So you know JHH personally then? It's just that I can't see anything in her previous posts to say she's emotional at the moment, instead it just looks to me as if she's put her perfectly valid viewpoint across.

It is an open forum after all, just because an opinion differs from yours doesn't mean you have to get personal or say it's 'blinkered by emotion'.

Just sayin'.

Looks familiar. Been there, done it and had the same emotions. If she thinks I'm an ass then fair enough but when someone's argument is so black and white, it usually means they're not thinking clearly (like I was).
Does a whole nation have to be tarred with the same brush? And the UK is so much better?

"there are lots of things covered up to make this place look like a dream". Yes, this is a rational statement.

el_richo Apr 5th 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger (Post 9990279)
Does a whole nation have to be tarred with the same brush? And the UK is so much better?

You just did ;)

Tony-the-Tigger Apr 5th 2012 3:48 pm

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9990724)
You just did ;)

Please explain. I'm not with you. Question marks imply that I'm asking this, rather than making a statement. The comparisons were made by Jenny, not me.

el_richo Apr 5th 2012 4:37 pm

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger (Post 9990762)
Please explain. I'm not with you. Question marks imply that I'm asking this, rather than making a statement. The comparisons were made by Jenny, not me.

"UK" = generalising. The question is loaded to tar with the same brush.

Localisation is the key :)

MarylandNed Apr 5th 2012 4:50 pm

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9990162)
So you know JHH personally then? It's just that I can't see anything in her previous posts to say she's emotional at the moment, instead it just looks to me as if she's put her perfectly valid viewpoint across.

It is an open forum after all, just because an opinion differs from yours doesn't mean you have to get personal or say it's 'blinkered by emotion'.

Just sayin'.

Right - nothing wrong with a different opinion but some do have more value than others. There's a wide range of experiences and opinions. Her experience is unfortunate but certainly not typical and it has coloured her viewpoint and the language she uses. Her post was full of sweeping negative generalizations which are not true in my experience.

When considering opinions you have to be able to determine their value. Hers is an outlier and statistically is not going to apply to the vast majority of people. Seems like she just landed on one end of the bell curve. Does that make it "a valid viewpoint"? Maybe in your opinion but many would disagree.

It's not like there isn't a drug problem in the UK. It's not like the UK doesn't have crime. I remember reading an article a year or so ago that had the UK ranked as the most violent country in the EU with violent crimes rates above the US and South Africa. Is that also a "valid viewpoint"?

Tony-the-Tigger Apr 5th 2012 4:51 pm

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9990824)
"UK" = generalising. The question is loaded to tar with the same brush.

Localisation is the key :)

The key is actually in the question marks. As I said, I'm not making a statement.

I agree with your generalising point though. Her experience can't be compared with the whole of Canada or Canadians, nor can it be compared with the whole of the UK.

Tony-the-Tigger Apr 5th 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Canada 5th happiest country...UK 18th
 

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 9990843)
Right - nothing wrong with a different opinion but some do have more value than others. There's a wide range of experiences and opinions. Her experience is unfortunate but certainly not typical and it has coloured her viewpoint and the language she uses. Her post was full of sweeping negative generalizations which are not true in my experience.

When considering opinions you have to be able to determine their value. Hers is an outlier and statistically is not going to apply to the vast majority of people. Seems like she just landed on one end of the bell curve. Does that make it "a valid viewpoint"? Maybe in your opinion but many would disagree.

It's not like there isn't a drug problem in the UK. It's not like the UK doesn't have crime. I remember reading an article a year or so ago that had the UK ranked as the most violent country in the EU with violent crimes rates above the US and South Africa. Is that also a "valid viewpoint"?

IMO, very well put.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:19 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.