British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Can you fail the medical for being overweight? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/can-you-fail-medical-being-overweight-650777/)

engineer80 Jan 22nd 2010 10:20 pm

Can you fail the medical for being overweight?

We haven't even filled out any immigration forms of any kind yet but something has been playing on my mind and after reading another poster's post about medicals I thought I would just go ahead and ask the question. Can you fail the medical simply for being overweight? OH is definitely a larger guy (he hasn't weighed himself recently but I'd say he has about 3 stone to lose to achieve his healthy weight). This doesn't stop him from being mobile though, on the contrary he is on his feet all day with his job and goes about his day with minimal problems. The only consequence of the weight is varicose veins and for that reason our doctor has recommended he slims down. Has anyone with a similar condition been denied their visa? I really don't want us to pursue immigration if there is no chance of success to begin with. Any feedbak would be much appreciated! :thumbup:

Alan2005 Jan 22nd 2010 10:24 pm

Re: Can you fail the medical for being overweight?

As far as I know being a fatty doesn't make you medically inadmissible to Canada.

engineer80 Jan 22nd 2010 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8273906)
As far as I know being a fatty doesn't make you medically inadmissible to Canada.

:lol: That's good to know, thank you.

Bali2010 Jan 22nd 2010 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8273906)

What a relief:lol:

Alan2005 Jan 22nd 2010 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by engineer80 (Post 8273912)
:lol: That's good to know, thank you.

Originally Posted by Bali2010 (Post 8273955)
What a relief:lol:

I don't have any expert knowledge, however I've seen this question lots of times on this forum over the years and I don't recall anyone report failing the medical purely because they were a bit on the chubby side.

fledermaus Jan 22nd 2010 11:14 pm

Nope. I'm here.

Getting There Jan 23rd 2010 1:21 am

I'm here too. Worried about it before the medicals and it wasn't a problem. As long as you are basically healthy and functioning, it should all be fine.

Eamonn.

bsmith Jan 23rd 2010 1:27 am

Originally Posted by engineer80 (Post 8273900)
We haven't even filled out any immigration forms of any kind yet but something has been playing on my mind and after reading another poster's post about medicals I thought I would just go ahead and ask the question. Can you fail the medical simply for being overweight? OH is definitely a larger guy (he hasn't weighed himself recently but I'd say he has about 3 stone to lose to achieve his healthy weight). This doesn't stop him from being mobile though, on the contrary he is on his feet all day with his job and goes about his day with minimal problems. The only consequence of the weight is varicose veins and for that reason our doctor has recommended he slims down. Has anyone with a similar condition been denied their visa? I really don't want us to pursue immigration if there is no chance of success to begin with. Any feedbak would be much appreciated! :thumbup:

...though if other airlines follow Air France's lead, you may have to pay for an extra plane seat on the way over! :rofl:

Partially discharged Jan 23rd 2010 2:25 am

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 8274264)
...though if other airlines follow Air France's lead, you may have to pay for an extra plane seat on the way over! :rofl:

And the problem with that being?

Auld Yin Jan 23rd 2010 2:39 am

I don't think obesity is considered a medical condition. It's like smoking and drinking to excess, both of which are not recommended.

athena88 Jan 23rd 2010 6:56 pm

Dont worry, my husband is a bit over weight and we were a little concerned but he had no problems although the doctor (a lovely but very blunt old lady) poked at his flabby bits and told him he was fat and then told me he was fat and had to do something about it :eek: luckily he found it funny and she did him a favour he goes to the gym 3 times a week now. :thumbsup:

good luck with it all xx

thefinneys Jan 23rd 2010 9:12 pm

Hi,
I had a baby before the medical and was still carying a lot of weight. The lovely old doctor who did my medical informed me that I was overweight and needed to lose it! I was really worried about it too but it was all fine!

engineer80 Jan 23rd 2010 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by thefinneys (Post 8276228)
Hi,
I had a baby before the medical and was still carying a lot of weight. The lovely old doctor who did my medical informed me that I was overweight and needed to lose it! I was really worried about it too but it was all fine!

That's good to know! I know I'm not quite back into my size 10 jeans after having our one year old (or even size 12 for that matter!) so I suppose I am a bit concerned for myself too.

fledermaus Jan 23rd 2010 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by engineer80 (Post 8276239)
That's good to know! I know I'm not quite back into my size 10 jeans after having our one year old (or even size 12 for that matter!) so I suppose I am a bit concerned for myself too.

size 14 would hardly raise an eyebrow.

woodworm Jan 23rd 2010 11:12 pm

according to the Government of Canada, obesity is an "epidemic" here with a third of the population being overweight/obese.. (http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/R...prb0511-e.htm:)

so no worries chubby people will fit in with the locals :)