Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can you change your SIN number?

Can you change your SIN number?

Old May 9th 2015, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can you change your SIN number?

If it was obtained by someone, can you apply to change it for security reasons? Alternatively, when someone becomes a PR, is their old SIN defunct?

Thanks.
Old May 9th 2015, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you change your SIN number?

In certain situations that involve the use of your SIN being used in fraud by someone, Service Canada may change it if asked, otherwise they won't.

Can I ask for a new SIN if I have been a victim of fraud? - Service Canada

Can I ask for a new SIN if my confirmation of SIN letter or SIN card has been lost or stolen? - Service Canada

Unless things have changed, a temp SIN with a 9 will change to a permanent one when you become a PR.

My permanent SIN wasn't the same one as my temp one.
Old May 9th 2015, 11:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanity
If it was obtained by someone, can you apply to change it for security reasons? Alternatively, when someone becomes a PR, is their old SIN defunct?

Thanks.
If you have a police report and are the victim of fraud, it is possible, but not easy. Just for the asking, it cannot be changed. Invariably when a SIN is stolen, notifying the credit bureaus and your bank is usually sufficient.

It is a bad idea to carry your SIN card around with you, we keep ours in the safe. Cannot think of a time in 20 years we have needed our SIN cards. One of my kids had some papers stolen with their number on it, told Equifax and Transunion and it has never been a problem. The thieves stole credit cards as well, then went to a gas station and filled up under CCTV.

One would think this was a slam dunk, however the police actually have to do something about it to catch the thieves, it seems it was a low priority (as in no priority).
Old May 10th 2015, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I had my wallet stolen several years ago, and it had my SIN card in there, along with credit cards, Care card, etc etc

I had to notify everyone, and a new SIN card, with the same number was issued.

I've always carried my SIN card with me
Old May 10th 2015, 3:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I had my wallet stolen several years ago, and it had my SIN card in there, along with credit cards, Care card, etc etc

I had to notify everyone, and a new SIN card, with the same number was issued.

I've always carried my SIN card with me
I only carry mine because I would lose it otherwise. Risk of losing it is greater from not carrying it then the risk of it being stolen, have to mug me to get my wallet, don't put it in my back pocket.
Old May 10th 2015, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't supposed to carry the card around with you.

Haven't they stopped issuing cards now anyway?
Old May 10th 2015, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix

Yes, when I got my SIN extended for my second IEC last December, they took away my old expired card and just issued me with a piece of paper. I guess it makes sense as they don't want people carrying it around with them anyway.
Old May 10th 2015, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by withabix

They now issue a piece of paper with the number on it, no card.

Greater risk of it being lost not in my wallet then in my wallet, and I get asked for it so much by government offices, easier and less likely to be lost if I carry it.

The mail CRA sends with the full number plastered on it, is more likely to be stolen then my wallet is.
Old May 10th 2015, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

there was a time when people would ask for your SIN number as ID

way back when, it was very common for shop assistants to try that on if you paid by cheque or a credit card they were not familiar with.

Then there was the failed experiment of the early 2000s ............. they decided there should be a special SIN card for those 65 and over.

If I remember correctly, it was black or very dark coloured, had some shiny bits, and your SIN number and name.

They had to replace those within about 4 years ......... the numbers and name faded and could not be seen.

I have a very new-looking SIN card
Old May 11th 2015, 2:39 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Who do you share your SIN with then?

Bank / employer / CRA / accountant ? / mortgage broker ? / credit agency request ?

Anyone else who it is considered safe to do so?
Old May 11th 2015, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

well, you certainly don't use it as ID, or give it to shop assistants!!!

As I said they used to "try it on" ............ people who were aware didn't fall for it!

You have to give it to your employer, and the tax department, and for access to government programmes and benefits.

Don't know about any one else ............ we haven't had a mortgage or a bank loan for years!

The official site says this ...........

Who can ask for my SIN:-

your employer
your income tax information
financial institutions from which you earn interest or income (for example, banks, credit unions, trust companies)
Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Régie des rentes du Québec (RRQ) benefits
Employment Insurance (EI) program benefits
Canada Education Savings Grants (CESG) and Registered Education Savings Plans (RESP)
Child Tax Benefit
Canada Student Loans
Goods and Services Tax (GST) / Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) claims
Social assistance benefits
Veterans benefits and programs
Workers Compensation benefits
child support payments.

When don't I have to provide my SIN:-

Some private-sector organizations may ask for your SIN.......... this practice is not illegal, but is discouraged.

Examples of when you don’t have to give your SIN:

proving your identity (except for specific government programs)
completing a job application before you get the job
completing an application to rent a property
negotiating a lease with a landlord
completing credit card application
cashing a cheque
applying for a video club membership
completing some banking transactions (mortgage, line of credit, loan)
completing a medical questionnaire
renting a car
subscribing to long-distance or cellular telephone services
writing a will
applying to a university or college.
Old May 29th 2015, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

Oops sorry just saw this. Thanks for the info. A mortgage broker insisted on taking it but I regret giving it to her
Old May 30th 2015, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanity
Who do you share your SIN with then?

Bank / employer / CRA / accountant ? / mortgage broker ? / credit agency request ?

Anyone else who it is considered safe to do so?
This is a good question - thank you for asking.

I'm filling out applications to put my daughter on waitlists for preschools. One of them is asking for both parents' SIN numbers. I'm not planning to give it to them, but why would they need them?
Old Jun 1st 2015, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Your SIN # should change when you become a resident or at least mine did ? Have they changed that also as recruiter your first digit tells me if your a TFW or not.