Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

can you buy a house on a twp?

Wikiposts

can you buy a house on a twp?

Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all
Default Re: can you buy a house on a twp?

We bought a house on twp - never was asked about pr. We are now in the process of applying - but when we bought our house we weren't. No-one asked about our intentions or anything - just proof of income, ie, job status and pay, letter from the employer confirming job - the same as in the UK really.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:17 am
One Quarter Canadian

Hortons to go is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, if you can stay for 6 months then how long till you can return. Also if you have kids then can you enrol them into school for 6 months?
???

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You can buy a house any time you like it is not tied to residence.

I know a couple that own property in Canmore but are retired in the UK. They just adhere to the rules for visitors, no stay longer than six months. Usually they stay for much shorter periods (avid skiers).
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We are here on TWP and bought house with no problems. We opted to put 30% down but we told mortgage broker this from the start
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I think someone one here (Poppy or something?) bought a house in NS on a TWP with 3% down recently. Although I believe the minimum has now changed to 5%...
amydavid and poppy2 have both just bought houses on TWP
both started threads about their experiences
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550777
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548127
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:17 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
amydavid and poppy2 have both just bought houses on TWP
both started threads about their experiences
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550777
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548127
Both slightly different situations though - We have been in Canada for over a year now and we got a 97% mortgage by proving David has a WP and the offer of working on a TWP for at least the next 3 years (we hope to have PR LONG LONG before then!) and then proof that we have payed rent on time for a whole 12 months as well as our electric bills. It did take some time to sort out as we still own a property in the UK as well, but in the end it worked out!

Large glass of wine at mine on the 30th August if you fancy it Val!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Large glass of wine at mine on the 30th August if you fancy it Val![/QUOTE]

sounds good to me
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hortons to go
Hi all, if you can stay for 6 months then how long till you can return. Also if you have kids then can you enrol them into school for 6 months?
???
A visitor typically gets a stamp allowing a six month stay but it's at the whim of the border official. You can get another six months by driving over the border and back but the individual official can choose not to let you back in. Each time you do it it's less likely that you'll be readmitted. Children of tourists are not eligible for state funded education, I suppose it would be possible to enroll them in private schools and/or get study permits for them but the bigger problem is that tourists cannot work. What you gonna live on?

on edit, scratch driving across the border. You can't drive on a foreign license after some number of days in Canada (30? 90?) and you can't get a local license because you don't live here. Neither can you register a car.

Last edited by dbd33; Jul 29th 2008 at 12:25 am.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:48 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
on edit, scratch driving across the border. You can't drive on a foreign license after some number of days in Canada (30? 90?) and you can't get a local license because you don't live here. Neither can you register a car.
I've never looked into that but are you sure? There are plenty of people who spend the summers in NS and I cant believe all of them dont drive. I would imagine if you have a house here and therefore an address in Canada you can register your car and probably get a license too regardless of your status (visitor/perm resident etc).

Certainly though if you arent here on at least a work permit you wouldnt be able to get study permits for your kids (they would have to have study permits if they werent permanent residents or citizens.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I've never looked into that but are you sure? There are plenty of people who spend the summers in NS and I cant believe all of them dont drive. I would imagine if you have a house here and therefore an address in Canada you can register your car and probably get a license too regardless of your status (visitor/perm resident etc).
I haven't looked into it as regards NS but my OH was in ON as a tourist for about two years. (She then got a study permit so as to have more status here while I was sponsoring her for PR). After the first year she brought her car, she used it on US plates with a US license and insurance as, in ON, she had no other option. Technically after 90 days and before having a study permit she was a unlicensed driver. That car now has ON plates but we have another one on US plates which we both use, though I believe it's an offense for a Canadian resident to do so.

Our neighbours have a similar problem. They winter in Texas and would like to insure their truck with a US carrier while it's in the US but that means getting Texas licenses and Texas plates. If they do that then they can't legally drive it for the full time they're in Canada. This situation bothers him, a retired miltary police officer, much more than it does me.