Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can we use our UK pc in Canada? Anyone using Skype?

Can we use our UK pc in Canada? Anyone using Skype?

Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Paul Freeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Can we use our UK pc in Canada? Anyone using Skype?

We are new to this site and are hoping to be moving to Calgary for my new job around September this year. Wondering if anyone has any advice on whether it's worth taking our UK pc when we move, or if it's not worth it and we should just buy new when we arrive?
Also, is anyone using Skype to phone home? We are just starting to look into it and wonder if it's the best option?
Any advice gratefully received.
Many thanks.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:25 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we use our UK pc in Canada? Anyone using Skype?

Check the back of your PC. (Power supply up by the main back fan)

If it says 90-250vac 50-60hz then yes

Then check the monitor for this too

Some older machines allowed you to switch the power supply between 110 and 240 as well

If you have a printer and or other accessories you’ll do well to check the labels on their PSU’s too
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Yes we use Skype and have done for the 7 months we have been here. It is fabulous and saves us a fortune. It is cheaper to use Skype Out to call someone who hasn't a computer than buying a phone card. Skype Out calls to the UK cost 0.017 euros a minute!!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

I should have said that Skype calls from one computer to another (anywhere in the world) are completely free. All you need is headphones with a microphone.

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
Yes we use Skype and have done for the 7 months we have been here. It is fabulous and saves us a fortune. It is cheaper to use Skype Out to call someone who hasn't a computer than buying a phone card. Skype Out calls to the UK cost 0.017 euros a minute!!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I think Skype is great I use it a lot here in the UK, to phone friends and family. They have also recently updated the versions so that you can use web cams with it.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Use skype on my mac every day talking to family and friends all over the world!

Its excellent - very very clear.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and Yes!

Many desktop PC's have switchable power supplies between 240 and 110V. On my Compaq I peeled off the sticker that said 'UK 240V AC' and switched over to 110V, bought a new powerlead and Bob was my mothers brother. I didnt bother bringing a monitor over, bought one here instead. (but had crappo monitor at home anyway & upgraded to nice TFT one.)

Skype is excellent. The latest version supports videocalls and is very easy to use. (Important for my technowrinkly parents at the other end). I use it to talk to folks back home every week and yes its saved me a fortune in phone bills!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:36 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

If your pc doesn't have a voltage switch on the back near the power socket then you will need to replace the power supply once you get to canada. It is a simple task (and should be inexpensive) that can be done at any computer shop.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
If your pc doesn't have a voltage switch on the back near the power socket then you will need to replace the power supply once you get to canada. It is a simple task (and should be inexpensive) that can be done at any computer shop.
Thats a good point and what I had planned to do originally. Its also not beyond the DIY computer bodger if you dont want to pay Future Shop to do it
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:41 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro

most newer Pc's using an ATX switching power supply accept a wide input voltage, the ones we have here take 90-250v 50-60hz.

Only the older machines will have voltage switches
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:49 pm
Loving my life..

DanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Can we use our UK pc in Canada? Anyone using Skype?

I plan on just getting a new power Cable for my laptop? I guess that will be fine... no need to buy a converter... just a Canadian Plug with the transformer to give me 19v 6.3A then Robert will be my mums brother as well.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:06 pm
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by DanielH
I plan on just getting a new power Cable for my laptop? I guess that will be fine... no need to buy a converter... just a Canadian Plug with the transformer to give me 19v 6.3A then Robert will be my mums brother as well.
Definitely check your power supply(tranformer), all you probably need is just a new plug or plug adaptor as most laptop power supplies have been 90-250v as standard
That would be about $5
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:15 pm
Loving my life..

DanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Can we use our UK pc in Canada? Anyone using Skype?

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Definitely check your power supply(tranformer), all you probably need is just a new plug or plug adaptor as most laptop power supplies have been 90-250v as standard
That would be about $5
Thanks i just Looked and mine says 100-240V so all i will need is the bit from the wall socket to the transformer block...COOL.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:43 am
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
I downloaded skype when we got here and tried it twice to speak to a friend in the UK but the reception was terrible, it was very difficult to have a conversation. Do you think that it is because we are on dial up and not broadband? Tony
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:59 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Paul Freeman
We are new to this site and are hoping to be moving to Calgary for my new job around September this year. Wondering if anyone has any advice on whether it's worth taking our UK pc when we move, or if it's not worth it and we should just buy new when we arrive?
Also, is anyone using Skype to phone home? We are just starting to look into it and wonder if it's the best option?
Any advice gratefully received.
Many thanks.
We used skype and at first it was great, but my parents who are nearly deaf and have hearing aids, struggled with hearing us. We then started to have other problems and so gave up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.