Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can a UK citizen buy a property in Canada?

Can a UK citizen buy a property in Canada?

Old Jul 4th 2022, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

New Calgarian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can a UK citizen buy a property in Canada?

Hello!

Can a UK citizen buy a property in Canada? I searched this forum for any discussions on this topic. The last attempt on a similar topic was in 2004! So, I am hoping to read a range of new and up to date information and experiences of UK citizens moving to Canada and buying properties.

I am planning a move to Canada to live permanently with my wife who is a Canadian citizen. Right now, she is in rented accommodation. I am planning to sell my house in the UK and use the funds to buy a property in Canada. Has anyone done something similar?

Also, the key question is this: Can I buy a property in Canada while I am there as a visitor? I already spoke to a mortgage broker in Canada who told me that my wife could get a mortgage and I could put a large down payment to buy a house. However, I want to be absolutely certain of this possibility. This is why I am eager to read the responses from many different British expats who might have gone through a similar process. And it would be useful to hear from those who bought a property in the last five years.

Old Jul 5th 2022, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a UK citizen buy a property in Canada?

Originally Posted by New Calgarian
Hello!

Can a UK citizen buy a property in Canada? I searched this forum for any discussions on this topic. The last attempt on a similar topic was in 2004! So, I am hoping to read a range of new and up to date information and experiences of UK citizens moving to Canada and buying properties.

I am planning a move to Canada to live permanently with my wife who is a Canadian citizen. Right now, she is in rented accommodation. I am planning to sell my house in the UK and use the funds to buy a property in Canada. Has anyone done something similar?

Also, the key question is this: Can I buy a property in Canada while I am there as a visitor? I already spoke to a mortgage broker in Canada who told me that my wife could get a mortgage and I could put a large down payment to buy a house. However, I want to be absolutely certain of this possibility. This is why I am eager to read the responses from many different British expats who might have gone through a similar process. And it would be useful to hear from those who bought a property in the last five years.
We bought a property in Calgary while we were living in England and prior to activating our PR. This was in 2006.

I can't see any reason why you would not be able to do what you have proposed above, providing a lender, if you need one, is happy to lend you the money.
Old Jul 5th 2022, 4:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a property in NB while a 'visitor' using the proceeds of a UK property with no mortgage. In 2005.

I had a vague recollection of some additional fee or something being introduced in the last couple of years but I'm not sure if that was province specific or Canada.

I found this - https://www.khanllp.com/purchase-and...r-nonresidents - which suggests a mortgage of a maximum 65% and a 15% of purchase price as a tax in part of Ontario (with rebates possible eg becoming a PR within 4 years).But there's an exemption from the tax for you because you have a Canadian wife anyway.

I guess there might be similar approaches in other parts of Canada. It seems a small(?) part of Alberta has some restrictions
Old Jul 5th 2022, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Some provinces have a foreign buyers tax which is payable if you do not hold PR or are not a citizen.

BC -> https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...y-transfer-tax
Ontario -> https://www.ontario.ca/document/land...peculation-tax

There was also talk of a ban on foreign buyers at the federal level but it hasn't gone into effect yet. Worth checking if any of these scenarios apply to your situation.
Old Jul 5th 2022, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I bought a property in NB while a 'visitor' using the proceeds of a UK property with no mortgage. In 2005.

I had a vague recollection of some additional fee or something being introduced in the last couple of years but I'm not sure if that was province specific or Canada.

I found this - https://www.khanllp.com/purchase-and...r-nonresidents - which suggests a mortgage of a maximum 65% and a 15% of purchase price as a tax in part of Ontario (with rebates possible eg becoming a PR within 4 years).But there's an exemption from the tax for you because you have a Canadian wife anyway.

I guess there might be similar approaches in other parts of Canada. It seems a small(?) part of Alberta has some restrictions
I thought that one had to work in Banff to be able to buy a property there. That page suggests otherwise.
Old Jul 6th 2022, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We bought a property in Calgary while we were living in England and prior to activating our PR. This was in 2006.

I can't see any reason why you would not be able to do what you have proposed above, providing a lender, if you need one, is happy to lend you the money.
Thanks for this response.

This was the type of experiences I wanted to read about! Good to know you were able to buy a property in Calgary before you got your Permanent Residence.
Old Jul 6th 2022, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Good to know about your experiences of buying a property in Canada.
Old Jul 6th 2022, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bc2015
Some provinces have a foreign buyers tax which is payable if you do not hold PR or are not a citizen.

BC -> https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...y-transfer-tax
Ontario -> https://www.ontario.ca/document/land...peculation-tax

There was also talk of a ban on foreign buyers at the federal level but it hasn't gone into effect yet. Worth checking if any of these scenarios apply to your situation.

Thanks for that response.