Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

Wikiposts

Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

Old May 23rd 2009, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Special1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

Hi everyone,

I had just sent this as a reply to a thread (which had come to an end?!) but think its best to start a new one:~

I've been in BC for just under 2 months and just skimming the above messages.

OMG: I didn't realise they can take your UK licence away from you if you fail your test here!

I'm quite dreading doing the test.
I have the book but not looked at it and I attempted the online practice theory test - I narrowly failed - I found some of the terminology is different (its in Canadian!). I will read/study the book and hope this will assist.

Im thinking of taking some driving lessons so I get used to road and driving on the right hand side.
Did anyone bother doing this?
How long did it take to get used to driving on the right? Will I need many lessons?

I didn't drive that much in the UK, maybe thats a good thing so I don't have (m)any driving habits.

How long did it take to book for the practical test and any tips for it please?

PS: I swear that when I do get a car I will need to put a note on the dashboard to remind myself to stick to the right!!!

Advices appreciated.
Many thanx,
S
Old May 24th 2009, 12:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

Don't tell them you have a UK license and there's no problem.
Old May 24th 2009, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise they could do that either, is it just in BC? I failed my first test in NS and didn't get mine taken away!

I have a NS licence, if we moved to BC would I need to do a test again or just swap for a BC licence?
Old May 24th 2009, 1:51 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I'll post this link here too for lots of info about driving in all the provinces:

http://www.drivershandbook.com/topic/2/
Old May 24th 2009, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

yes they can and they did !

they take your license before the test and they won't give it back if you fail in BC, well they did that to my OH
Old May 24th 2009, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

danniek will become famous soon enough

The reason they take it away is because it is against the law for you to have more than one subsiting licence. So, if you go and take the road test and fail, you automatically receive a learners licence. In turn, your UK one is taken as per that guideline.

Here is the legislation if anyone wants to have a peek. This one is the Alberta one, however the regulations are quite similar in all provinces.

Section 13(1)

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?pag...=9780779733125
Old May 24th 2009, 4:09 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

They don't take you license away if you fail the theory test. You can do this as many times as you want (and pay for).

You only have 90 days before your UK license expires (if you are here as a new resident) so you need to get your skates on if you want to keep driving. It is no surprise that you failed your theory test if you haven't read Roadsense for Drivers. You need to read this and get your theory test passed as soon as possible. It is very easy once you have studied the book.

IMO it is a very good idea to take a couple of driving lessons before you take your road test - if nothing else, the instructor will take you round a possible test route and show you all the things the examiner will be looking for.

The BC test is not as difficult as the UK test, but it is not a walk-over either. As far as ICBC are concerned, if you fail your road test you have shown that you are not sufficiently skilled to drive on BC's road unsupervised. So, they take your UK license away and issue you with a BC learner's license.
Old May 24th 2009, 4:13 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danniek
The reason they take it away is because it is against the law for you to have more than one subsiting licence. So, if you go and take the road test and fail, you automatically receive a learners licence. In turn, your UK one is taken as per that guideline.

Here is the legislation if anyone wants to have a peek. This one is the Alberta one, however the regulations are quite similar in all provinces.

Section 13(1)

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?pag...=9780779733125
The rules are different in Alberta because you exchange your UK license for an Albertan one. In BC you earn your BC license. They give you your UK one back once you pass the BC test.

I have a BC and a UK license. When I go to renew my BC license they ask me if I still have my UK license, and if I have got any points on it since the last time they asked.
Old May 24th 2009, 4:15 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Louisecooke
I didn't realise they could do that either, is it just in BC? I failed my first test in NS and didn't get mine taken away!

I have a NS licence, if we moved to BC would I need to do a test again or just swap for a BC licence?
If you have held your NS license for more than two years they will exchange it.
Old May 24th 2009, 4:19 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I happen to think it's a good idea to have to retake your tests. We got here just as the legislation changed in Alberta, from having to take the test to not having to take the test.

If I had taken the test, I would have known what a flashing red light meant or a flashing orange light, the 1st time I came across them. There have been other occasions where we have come accross a sign or something ans gone 'what does that mean?' Usually common sense see you through, especially if you have had many years of driving experience. It just makes sense to me - new country, new rules, new test to make sure you understand those rules.
Old May 24th 2009, 4:28 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by dbd33
Don't tell them you have a UK license and there's no problem.
If you have not held a full privilege drivers license for at least two years you have to enter the graduated licensing program. This means an extra test and up to two years of restricted driving.
Old May 24th 2009, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Special1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,
Thank U all for your responses.

I have been advised that I can drive on my UK licence for 3 months after landing in BC.
However, I still need take the theory and practical test.
After the 3 months - I will need to be accompanied.

Are there any other restrictions/deadlines?
I mean, I don't have a car in BC and I am not in urgent need of one - so please could someone explain the rush to do the driving tests before the 3 months. Thanks.

From reading the messages above, my understanding is that if I tell them I have a UK licence then I bear the risk of this being stripped from me if the fail the practical test. If/when I pass it they will give it back to me.
However, if I do not tell them then I will have to go via the "learner driver" path and this involves obtaining 2 years of driving experience etc...
So, probably best to tell them I have a UK licence.

Please could more experienced persons confirm the above & advise asap & what the 3 month deadline is about.
Especially since I dunno if I should be trying to hurry up and looking into getting my BC driving licence sooner rather than later!
I have been in BC for nearly 2 months now.

Look forward to your responses!

Many thanx,
S
Old May 24th 2009, 9:08 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Special1
Hiya,
Thank U all for your responses.

I have been advised that I can drive on my UK licence for 3 months after landing in BC.
However, I still need take the theory and practical test.
After the 3 months - I will need to be accompanied.
I answered these on the other thread. But, to recap, if after there months you have not passed the road test you can pass the theory test and get a learner's license. This will allow you to drive if accompanied by a qualified driver.

Are there any other restrictions/deadlines?
I mean, I don't have a car in BC and I am not in urgent need of one - so please could someone explain the rush to do the driving tests before the 3 months. Thanks.
Of course, if you don't intend to drive you don't need a license. You can always get a provincial ID card that serves all the other functions of a DL, apart from the driving bit.

From reading the messages above, my understanding is that if I tell them I have a UK licence then I bear the risk of this being stripped from me if the fail the practical test. If/when I pass it they will give it back to me.
However, if I do not tell them then I will have to go via the "learner driver" path and this involves obtaining 2 years of driving experience etc...
So, probably best to tell them I have a UK licence.
I think dbd33 was being a little mischievous. It is never a god idea to lie when the law and insurance are involved. It has a habit of coming back to haunt you.

Please could more experienced persons confirm the above & advise asap & what the 3 month deadline is about.
Especially since I dunno if I should be trying to hurry up and looking into getting my BC driving licence sooner rather than later!
I have been in BC for nearly 2 months now.
The three month deadline only matters is you want to continue driving in BC. If you don't need or want to drive you can take your time and do it whenever it is convenient, if at all.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

The rules regarding 3 months are a little vauge in the sense that it is the law to convert within 3 months of becoming a PR. On the other hand there is a bit of slack in the system. I was told I could'nt get a BC license even though I am a PR cos I'm work overseas and am never in BC for more than 90 days. So i ve been driving on my UK licence for the last 16 months. When my wife went to do her test then never asked how long she had been in BC as she was actually 12 days over the 90 day timeline. So if you leave BC in first 90 days for a holiday does that mean you get another 90 days as you ve not been present in BC for 90 days? Strange hey? it is a slight hinderance really for me cos every job I apply for requires class 5 driving licence.
Old May 24th 2009, 12:57 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottymallo
The rules regarding 3 months are a little vauge in the sense that it is the law to convert within 3 months of becoming a PR. On the other hand there is a bit of slack in the system. I was told I could'nt get a BC license even though I am a PR cos I'm work overseas and am never in BC for more than 90 days. So i ve been driving on my UK licence for the last 16 months. When my wife went to do her test then never asked how long she had been in BC as she was actually 12 days over the 90 day timeline. So if you leave BC in first 90 days for a holiday does that mean you get another 90 days as you ve not been present in BC for 90 days? Strange hey? it is a slight hinderance really for me cos every job I apply for requires class 5 driving licence.
If your permanent place of residence is BC, you do qualify for a BC license, regardless of your temporary absences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.