Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can someone reason with my mind please....

Can someone reason with my mind please....

Old Nov 16th 2005, 3:30 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can someone reason with my mind please....

.....since you are all being very friendly today - I wonder if you could give me a shove in the right direction please.

Yesterday morning when I was out feeding the horses (and stranded in a corral about 100 ft from the house) a bear was lurking in the treeline near my garden. It was gently grunting and snuffling around - didn't come out of the undergrowth but was there! Now I am absolutely petrified of bears and was not in the best location to plan an escape route. The horses were absolutely freaking out but I had to abandon them and briskly made my way back to the house and locked the door. Then I sat at the window watching and the horses were just going crazy, so I plucked up the courage to do something. I quickly ran out to the truck and drove it around the back field beeping my horn, sat for a while in the middle of the field (safely inside my truck) and seeing no more movement guessed that it had run away.

The horses settled down again but I stayed in the house all day until school run time.

Now I know I am being a tad silly here - but today I am afraid to go out. Reason tells me that it will be long gone and that as I hold no garbage or foodstuffs outside then it wouldn't hang around..............however I am absolutely petrified of bears and everytime I try to pluck up the courage to go out, I just can't! My stomach is churning even at the thought of it.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 3:42 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can someone reason with my mind please....

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
.....since you are all being very friendly today - I wonder if you could give me a shove in the right direction please.

Yesterday morning when I was out feeding the horses (and stranded in a corral about 100 ft from the house) a bear was lurking in the treeline near my garden. It was gently grunting and snuffling around - didn't come out of the undergrowth but was there! Now I am absolutely petrified of bears and was not in the best location to plan an escape route. The horses were absolutely freaking out but I had to abandon them and briskly made my way back to the house and locked the door. Then I sat at the window watching and the horses were just going crazy, so I plucked up the courage to do something. I quickly ran out to the truck and drove it around the back field beeping my horn, sat for a while in the middle of the field (safely inside my truck) and seeing no more movement guessed that it had run away.

The horses settled down again but I stayed in the house all day until school run time.

Now I know I am being a tad silly here - but today I am afraid to go out. Reason tells me that it will be long gone and that as I hold no garbage or foodstuffs outside then it wouldn't hang around..............however I am absolutely petrified of bears and everytime I try to pluck up the courage to go out, I just can't! My stomach is churning even at the thought of it.
Slaps some sense into Tiaribbon, then runs back into house and hides behind sofa.

I'm sure it's gone by now. It was just looking for food, not stalking you.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Slaps some sense into Tiaribbon, then runs back into house and hides behind sofa.

Unless of course the bear is still hungry!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 3:50 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by willmore
Unless of course the bear is still hungry!
Argh!!! Now you see it is comments like this that are also lurking in my mind!!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 3:53 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Souvenir

I know - still worrying though, when your biggest defence is a water pistol! Gonna trade it in for a shotgun as soon as I get my Licence.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Daveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud of

where in ontario are you?
Old Nov 16th 2005, 3:56 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I know - still worrying though, when your biggest defence is a water pistol! Gonna trade it in for a shotgun as soon as I get my Licence.
I dunno. In the right hands a water pistol can be lethal. Particularly if it's hooked up to a pressure washer.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:09 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a fog horn attached to your belt and a bear pepper spray.

This time of year aren't most bears looking for some where to sleep?

here's an interesting article about bears bear study
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:14 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Daveyboy_The_Red
where in ontario are you?
I live in the White Zone - where it states that NO bears reside!! Midway between Peterboro' and Belleville.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:22 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Grah
Do you have a fog horn attached to your belt and a bear pepper spray.

This time of year aren't most bears looking for some where to sleep?

here's an interesting article about bears bear study
Thank you for that article - karma coming your way!

Pepper spray is now on my list of "must-have's" - on my way to get some now! Then my horses can finally be fed! Just one thing...........do you really think pepper spray works???
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:22 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

We've always been told that bears are actually quite shy and if you make noise when you're in bear country it warns them that you there and they will avoid you.

Here is a link to something I found for hikers in B.C. maybe it'll help in you in your plight.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; Nov 16th 2005 at 4:31 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:29 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the White Zone - where it states that NO bears reside!! Midway between Peterboro' and Belleville.
You need to let the local equivalent to park rangers know that you have a bear in a white zone. If s/he's down that far by your property, it may be a mature cub that has lost it's family. Either way, let them deal with it if you value your horses. The bear was probably hungry but they can (not often) get aggressive and try and go for the horses/you if the hunger is bad.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Edward de Par is on a distinguished road

Thats fear setting in there! This is a scary scenario for anyone not used to wild animals and the inner person realizes one's life could be in danger.

A bit of post traumatic stress will shut a person down and not able to function for a while. I heard its quite common not to be able to go out of the house and operate properly when something like that happens. It happened to me after a "bullying at work" scenario. Left the job and "froze" in the house for weeks. Couldn't even near the place ever again.

It's quite amazing how these things play with your mind and you keep going over and over it .
In any event,.. only the constant venturing out and getting back into a routine will get you back to normal bravety. Time heals.

Try going out and keeping close to the house and then venturing a bit further a field each time. Dont start with any pills or booze and you'll be fine.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:34 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that article - karma coming your way!

Pepper spray is now on my list of "must-have's" - on my way to get some now! Then my horses can finally be fed! Just one thing...........do you really think pepper spray works???
If pepper spray and MACE work in a similar way then yes..

I watched a documentary about polar bears in which Russian researcher in the Artic protected himself with mace against polar bears.. even deterring the alpha male during a full on charge..
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:35 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

The WHITE ZONE? Let's hope no one misconscrues that :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.