Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I work if I move back to UK temporarily?

Wikiposts

Can I work if I move back to UK temporarily?

Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I work if I move back to UK temporarily?

Originally Posted by carley_jackson
I had to give my National Insurance card to the British Government when I moved away. I don't have it anymore.
You may have given it away, but no you didn't have to. Are you confused with an NHS card?

It takes a year from applying to citizenship until the actual exam, I don't want to wait. I have my permanent residence card though so I don't think i'll have a problem getting back into canada..
Don't want to wait? How many times have we heard that one before? Is there a reason why you haven't become a Canadian citizen already

Stay away too long and your permanent residence will be gone and that usually means stuck for life outside Canada, also since you're not a Canadian citizen, you can't sponsor for a spouse visa while living outside the country.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
You may have given it away, but no you didn't have to. Are you confused with an NHS card?

Don't want to wait? How many times have we heard that one before? Is there a reason why you haven't become a Canadian citizen already

Stay away too long and your permanent residence will be gone and that usually means stuck for life outside Canada, also since you're not a Canadian citizen, you can't sponsor for a spouse visa while living outside the country.
NHS card, never seen one of those either and I worked in the NHS for many many years.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
NHS card, never seen one of those either and I worked in the NHS for many many years.
A few seconds search leads to:
http://www.swallowbecksurgery.co.uk/...edicalCard.jpg
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
How super. I've still never seen one in real life, nor asked to see one in 25 years working in the NHS so can't imagine why you would have to hand it in.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:07 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
How super. I've still never seen one in real life, nor asked to see one in 25 years working in the NHS so can't imagine why you would have to hand it in.
Now i have one of those, but think that might be from moving back to the UK from Canada at some point. Not sure what purpose it serves as I don't think I have ever showed it to anyone. Still dont have a NI card though. You should email someone and ask for both
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

carley_jackson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The responders missed one very important point in your posting. You are a Permanent Resident in Canada and sponsoring your spouse abroad. You must reside in Canada during the processing, if you move abroad to be with your spouse, your application will be refused. Only Citizens can sponsor while residing abroad.

Sponsors

Sponsor
130. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a sponsor, for the purpose of sponsoring a foreign national who makes an application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the family class or an application to remain in Canada as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class under subsection 13(1) of the Act, must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who
(a) is at least 18 years of age;
(b) resides in Canada; and
(c) has filed a sponsorship application in respect of a member of the family class or the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class in accordance with section 10.

Sponsor not residing in Canada
(2) A sponsor who is a Canadian citizen and does not reside in Canada may sponsor an application referred to in subsection (1) by their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child who has no dependent children if the sponsor will reside in Canada when the applicant becomes a permanent resident.
That really answers my question doesn't it, I'm gonna have to suck it up for another 'x' amount of months. Thanks for the info very helpful
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:25 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

That really answers my question doesn't it, I'm gonna have to suck it up for another 'x' amount of months. Thanks for the info very helpful
Get citizenship, makes everything easier. Will definitely reduce x.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

carley_jackson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ

No i'm not confused, I don't have the actual national insurance card anymore. (it was blue and red with black writing on) BUT my parents were the ones who did all the immigration paperwork so i'm not entirely sure what happened to it.

I hadn't taken my citizenship test because I was studying at University and really didn't have time to study for that too. Now I am finished school though I have begun that application.

It doesn't really matter now, It seems I am not able to go to the UK while applying to sponsor my spouse so i'll be grounded here in Canada until thats taken care of.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

My situation is complicated but i'll try to keep it to the point. I moved to Canada with my family when I was 18 from England. I left behind my boyfriend. After being here for 5 years and completing university my boyfriend and I miraculously managed to keep our relationship going (HUGE phone bills, endless hours of skyping and msn). He came over for a year on a work visa and we finally got married in April.

So now, his visa has run out and he's had to go back to England and I'm still in Canada. The problem is that we both want to eventually live in Canada together but have to wait for his immigration papers to be processed and god only knows how long that will take. I am wondering if I am able to go back to England and work/live with my husband while his permanent residence stuff goes through? If I went back to England (hopefully it would be a year at the most) how would I get my national insurance number back? Would I need to apply to go back there? I am a British Citizen but have permenent residence in Canada.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Carley
Can't the OP just do what so many other BUNAC'rs do, apply outland and have her husband extend his permit to a visitor's visa? Or is it different if you're not a citizen?
Also, I don't think there's a necessity to get a lawyer to do it, that's a lot of money to get someone else to check the stuff you're going to check anyway. My OH and I did the whole thing ourselves and to our knowledge we filled in the forms correctly (not sent them back anyway!)