Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can i take my dog when i move to Canada?

Can i take my dog when i move to Canada?

Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Kate Murray is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can i take my dog when i move to Canada?

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could please give me any advice? I am currently training to be a nurse, and as soon as I have completed my training am planning on emigrating my family to Canada ( Hubby, 4 children, 1 dog, and 1 cat ) Not 100% sure what Provence yet, am looking into Alberta, Nova Scotia, BC or Toronto. From research we have done first 2 seem most appealing.
But we have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier X American Bulldog puppy and am I correct in thinking that he is classed as a Pitt Bull in Canada, and therefore a banned breed?
I read on one website that any kind of Staff is illegal, but on another it said they are only totally banned in Ottawa but I will need to purchase a 'dangerous dog licence' in any other Provence
Any advice/suggestions, or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can i take my dog when i move to Canada?

Not sure if rules change but in 08 we fetched our staffie with no problems to NS
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add NS and most other provincial colleges will probably require some form of assessment and your transcripts must show clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Some UK nurses have ended up having to do courses to meet provincial requirements before receiving eligibility to sit CRNE
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Until you get a job and accepted into a Province then the dog is the least of your problems. Check the various Provincial legislation requirements regarding dogs.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the poster is trying to establish if the move is even "a go-er" with the dogs, before she gets too far into the immigration process.

As a dog owner myself, I know how this would influence a move like this.

From what I've read, even if the dog resembles one of the dangerous dogs on their list, you could have problems getting him in. But again, provences will vary.

If you are really serious about the move, and it looks like pooch is going to be a hurdle, it might be an idea to pass the puppy on to another loving family before, a - you get too attached, and b - he becomes less desirable.

Heart-breaking I know, but it's a tough job to make this move even just with humans.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Pit bulls arent banned in NS or AB, although they are in other Provinces (Ontario in particular).
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:24 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Pit bulls arent banned in NS or AB, although they are in other Provinces (Ontario in particular).
Yup - no pits in Ontario - - althugh I have seen them and people claim hey are staffies!! (Chuffin big staffies!)
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Kate Murray is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the advice guys, as much as I want to move to Canada, I couldn't get rid of my dog, I love him too much Have another 2 years left of my training, so plenty of time to find the right Provence for us as a family.
Have already spoke with an immigration attorney, who has told me that Canada is desperate for British trained nurses??
Anyone have any experience on this matter before I part with hundreds of pounds? Any recommendations of what company is the best to use to get visas sorted?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Canada is not desperate for English nurses, many English nurses now have to go through assessment like many others nurses from different countries, especially with the way current UK training is. Paperwork for immigration can be done by yourselves with clear instruction on the CIC website, many of us have done it without using anyone. A lot will depend on which province plus route you plan on taking for PR, if via the federal skilled route then minimum you will be required to have as it stands at the moment is 12 months full time employment but the list is closed until the new year when a new list is released
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

bryandd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi kate, as per your original question, Bull Terrier breeds are allowed in most provinces in Canada. The only province that has a full ban on Bull Terriers is Ontario. Some cities have particular rules in regards to Bull Terriers, but most places apart from Ontario are fine. The main thing you need to look into is getting him over there, as some airlines don't allow Bull Terriers. Air Transat do not allow Bull Terriers, but Air Canada does, so if you're using a pet transport company, make sure you let them know that you have a Bull Terrier. We're moving to Alberta in November from Glasgow, and we have a Staffie, and there's no way we're leaving her behind.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

jean1947 is an unknown quantity at this point

My two pence worth, how much does it/will it cost to fly the family and animals.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:55 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Yup - no pits in Ontario - - althugh I have seen them and people claim hey are staffies!! (Chuffin big staffies!)
those in Ontario prior to or within 90 days of the ban are 'grandfathered' in and not illegal.

they do however have to be sterilised, and muzzled at all times when not on private property. so there shouldn't be any pit bulls in ontario under the age of 7 years old. there is talk of trying to get the law repealed, though I doubt it will happen tbh.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:22 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheadboy
those in Ontario prior to or within 90 days of the ban are 'grandfathered' in and not illegal.

they do however have to be sterilised, and muzzled at all times when not on private property. so there shouldn't be any pit bulls in ontario under the age of 7 years old. there is talk of trying to get the law repealed, though I doubt it will happen tbh.
Out of interest When did the law come in in Ont?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Out of interest When did the law come in in Ont?
29 August 2005. Probably some time after lunch.

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...la-pubsfty.asp
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:50 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
29 August 2005. Probably some time after lunch.

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...la-pubsfty.asp
That would make sense_ when I was there in 2007 there were a lot of large "Staffies" around un muzzled. This time I saw zero but wasn't out of convention centre much!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.