Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can i get my uk HGV mechanic qualifications assessed before i come to albert

Can i get my uk HGV mechanic qualifications assessed before i come to albert

Old Feb 12th 2023, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

markm1141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can i get my uk HGV mechanic qualifications assessed before i come to albert

i am immigrating to Calgary in June and have tried to apply to challenge the exam but its asking for an ID from a Canadian drivers license which i don't have as i am still in Scotland. Is it as simple as challenging the exam when i arrive in Canada or do i need to get my uk trade papers examined and how do i prove i have the required hours work experience. I started my trade in 2012 and qualified in 2015 and am still with the same employer to date. I have also secured my 2 year working visa for me and my wife and have booked my ielts test for march to start the PR prosses.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can i get my uk HGV mechanic qualifications assessed before i come to albert

Hi
it may have changed, as it was a few years ago now and maybe different as i am in BC

but i needed to show my apprentice log book, city & guilds certificates, and i filled out a form for my UK experience, and swore an oath for it

then i was allowed to challenge the IP test

cheers
jeremy
Old Feb 13th 2023, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

markm1141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can i get my uk HGV mechanic qualifications assessed before i come to albert

thanks for the reply i am trying to find the correct link to send my proof of hours worked. i also went to great lengths to try and convert my trade papers to the republic of Irelands equivalent to evade this whole prosses as Alberta will accept trade papers from there for some reason. but it cant be done so will just need to bite the bullet and start revising haha.
Old Feb 15th 2023, 10:57 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

From what I remember you get your trades certified at tradesecrets.alberta.ca I do think you still need to 'challenge' the exam to be able to have journeyman status.