British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Can i aply for TWP if alraedy have a PR application in?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/can-i-aply-twp-if-alraedy-have-pr-application-584579/)

scottieb Jan 15th 2009 7:26 pm

Can i aply for TWP if alraedy have a PR application in??

Hi,
Does anyone know if we put a Pr application in can we still go to Canada and apply for TWP if we get a job offer?

I know the estimated time is 5yrs for PR and we would like to get there sooner.
We know we can apply for PR on a TWP but can we do it the other way round?
S&L

lucieg Jan 15th 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Can i aply for TWP if alraedy have a PR application in??

Originally Posted by scottieb (Post 7173408)
Hi,
Does anyone know if we put a Pr application in can we still go to Canada and apply for TWP if we get a job offer?

S&L

Hi,

The processing times have changed for new applications because of the new rules that have just come into place dictating who can even apply. 6-12 months is the time quoted for PR applications from people who are in one of the 38 occupations or who have arranged employment. You can apply for a TWP while your PR application is being processed as long as your employer can get you a positive LMO.

NatsnSid Jan 15th 2009 7:36 pm

[QUOTE=scottieb;7173408]Hi,

We had an offer of employment under PNP - we had no LMO, but had a certificate from BC PNP to say we are accepted as a nominee and also a letter to the border control to state that Simon is required urgently to start work and to process his work permit. (If there was an LMO I never got a copy of it!).

We put our PR in just after this certificate arrived (May/June time) - we flew out Nov 08 (as house sale was not happening) and requested work permits at port of entry. This was possible as we had the job offer and letter (plus TWP application form etc etc)/information with us. I was given an open work permit and the children added to my husbands work permit so they could go to school here.

Not sure how this works or is different if you are not on the PNP scheme though? Which scheme are your applying PR through?

Hope you get your questions answered
Nats

christmasoompa Jan 15th 2009 7:43 pm

Hi,

S&L

You certainly can do if you are eligible for a SW application - but as Lucie rightly said, things have changed recently. The huge backlog meant that additional filtering needed to be done and if you are not in an occupation on the list below (plus have the requisite points) then you no longer qualify as a SW so getting a job offer would be your only option anyway.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada

Hope that helps. :)

gibsonslanding Jan 15th 2009 9:25 pm

[QUOTE=NatsnSid;7173452]

Hi,

We had an offer of employment under PNP - we had no LMO, but had a certificate from BC PNP to say we are accepted as a nominee and also a letter to the border control to state that Simon is required urgently to start work and to process his work permit. (If there was an LMO I never got a copy of it!).

We put our PR in just after this certificate arrived (May/June time) - we flew out Nov 08 (as house sale was not happening) and requested work permits at port of entry. This was possible as we had the job offer and letter (plus TWP application form etc etc)/information with us. I was given an open work permit and the children added to my husbands work permit so they could go to school here.

Not sure how this works or is different if you are not on the PNP scheme though? Which scheme are your applying PR through?

Hope you get your questions answered
Nats

ditto, ditto, ditto.....the only difference, is that me and kids are going end of this month.......exactly same as you, just a gap......