Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:19 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

Originally Posted by bodgerx
My sister in-law is a UK citizen in living in the US. Every time she comes back for a holiday she goes to the dentist/doctor etc and gets stuff done. They don't bat an eyelid.
Am I wrong in assuming she provides a UK address? I had a cousin who once returned on vacation from South Africa for a cancer operation. She lied as to her residency and, of course, received free treatment. She wasn't a happy camper when I told her she was a lying cheat.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:37 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
Am I wrong in assuming she provides a UK address? I had a cousin who once returned on vacation from South Africa for a cancer operation. She lied as to her residency and, of course, received free treatment. She wasn't a happy camper when I told her she was a lying cheat.
In my view if i got something like cancer i would try and move back purely for the NHS i know too many people in Canada that have had cancer and the treatments in Canada are not as great as in the UK.

But then i would actually be going back to 'live' and not just on holiday...
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Whether you pay tax or not as nothing to do with NHS entitlement. There are plenty of people living in the UK who don't pay tax and never have who are entitled to NHS treatment. To be entitled to treatment you must be a UK resident or if you are a visitor to the UK require emergency treatment. BTW emergency treatment does not necessarily mean a broken leg or appendicitis...is can be as simple as an ear infection.
I'm also pretty certain, but don't have time to look it up, that the free emergency treatment is only for the first 48? hours, so if you needed to be in hospital for longer then you pay for that part of the treatment. Maybe someone could look this up and check please?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
In my view if i got something like cancer i would try and move back purely for the NHS i know too many people in Canada that have had cancer and the treatments in Canada are not as great as in the UK.

But then i would actually be going back to 'live' and not just on holiday...
The treatment in Canada is actually very good at least in Ontario in Toronto . Very good hospitals - the drugs being covered for the main part by OHIP. As good as anything you'd probably get in the UK.

Cancer survival rates are higher in Canada then the UK
http://news.scotsman.com/health/UK--...ies.4296430.jp
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:54 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray1968
The treatment in Canada is actually very good at least in Ontario in Toronto . Very good hospitals - the drugs being covered for the main part by OHIP. As good as anything you'd probably get in the UK.

Cancer survival rates are higher in Canada then the UK
http://news.scotsman.com/health/UK--...ies.4296430.jp
It's more a question of the fact that 3 people in my wifes family have had cancer and out of all of them the best and fastest treatment was given to her aunty who would not have died had they left it.

Her uncle has had cancer for 2 years now and has had 3 different treatments and is on his last one next week b4 they pull the plug and her other aunty had part of her intestines removed to get rid of the cancer and she now cannot work for fear of bowel movemnets.

My aunty had lung cancer in england and the next day she started Chemo and radio...

So for me it's purely personal experiances.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

It's more a question of the fact that 3 people in my wifes family have had cancer and out of all of them the best and fastest treatment was given to her aunty who would not have died had they left it.

Her uncle has had cancer for 2 years now and has had 3 different treatments and is on his last one next week b4 they pull the plug and her other aunty had part of her intestines removed to get rid of the cancer and she now cannot work for fear of bowel movemnets.

My aunty had lung cancer in england and the next day she started Chemo and radio...

So for me it's purely personal experiances.
I have also had personal experiences ...we'll have to agree to disagree
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I'm also pretty certain, but don't have time to look it up, that the free emergency treatment is only for the first 48? hours, so if you needed to be in hospital for longer then you pay for that part of the treatment. Maybe someone could look this up and check please?
I can't find anything about that.

There is an interesting section on this page entitled 'Am I entitled to Primary Care Services?'

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074387
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

calgaryowl is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with cancer treatment in the UK is its a post code lottery. So if you returned to wrong area you could get very treatment, which stinks to be honest.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nooka
To be quite honest I think the comments about "deserving" ex-pats vs terrible health tourists is almost certainly discriminatory, and most likely racist.
How can you possibly equate someone who has never paid anything into the system with someone who has?

Disappointing to see that the disgraceful New Labour tactic of playing the race card against anyone who doesn't share your point of view is alive and well, even amongst ex-pats
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by spooooook
How can you possibly equate someone who has never paid anything into the system with someone who has?

Disappointing to see that the disgraceful New Labour tactic of playing the race card against anyone who doesn't share your point of view is alive and well, even amongst ex-pats
As someone else pointed out it's like insurance...If you drive your car uninsured don't expect a payout...

Also to point out that the tax that funds the NHS among other things is Called National Insurance...When was the last time you paid for that?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point

Also to point out that the tax that funds the NHS among other things is Called National Insurance...When was the last time you paid for that?
Errrr, I'm still paying it....
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone else pointed out it's like insurance...If you drive your car uninsured don't expect a payout...

Oddly enough, the UK is probably the only country I am ever likely to vist where I don't have medical coverage.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by spooooook
Errrr, I'm still paying it....
Then you must still be living there or at least working for the UK in some form.

Also i am pretty sure that if you work for a UK company but live abroad you can apply for rebates on services you do not recieve (???) not too sure but some tax guru might be able to shed more light on this.

Souv - what do you mean do you have an international medical insurance plan?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Of course it doesn't that's why the previous poster's comments should be ignored. It's comments like their's that make me so glad I no longer live there. Lately, it seems that Brits only concern themselves with "entitlements" never "liabilities" or "responsibilities" however one wishes to describe it. The suggestion that because one has paid for something for years, one it entitlement to something is ridiculous. Imagine trying to argue the same to an insurer once you have swapped companies to seek a better deal.
It happens here in Ontario, it's not just a British sentiment - I work as a therapist in the accident benefits side of auto insurance here in Ontario and wish I had a loonie for every time a client got huffy when the insurer won't pay for something, citing their entitlement as they'd paid insurance for years and never made a claim before ... tis human nature, not just a British-ism.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

National Insurance contributions have nothing to do with the NHS. NI contributions pay for social security benefits ie pensions.

NHS is funded from income taxes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.