Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

Originally Posted by startwin
Interesting stuff - good research, Batty. However, it does not cover "any" treatment as the poster says, but emergency treatment that becomes necessary while in the UK, if deemed necessary by a medic.
My reference states *any* treatment.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074379

Vistors from all countries are entitled to emergency treatment as follows:

* Treatment given only in an Accident and Emergency (A&E) department or in a NHS Walk-in Centre providing services similar to those of an A&E department (excludes emergency treatment given elsewhere in the hospital);
* Treatment for certain infectious diseases (excluding HIV/AIDS where it is only the first diagnosis and connected counselling sessions that are free to everyone);
* Compulsory psychiatric treatment;
* Family planning services.

Whereas Australians fall under this section:

People Entitled to Some NHS Hospital Treatment – this is limited to treatment required for *any* condition that occurred after arrival in the UK (including pre-existing conditions which acutely exacerbate whilst here).

So I read this as the difference between breaking a leg and fronting up to A & E (all countries eligible as medical emergency) and having developed an ache in your leg that is annoying and would like to know what it is (Australians eligible because of reciprocal agreement).

Re: "Yes, saves on travel insurance but doesnt get you free treatment for long term illness that develop while you are away."

I think it does....for Aussies in holiday in the UK and vice versa.

Re: "That would be very discriminatory against Brits living in Canada or anywhere else other than Australia."

Australians pay tax to cover treatment for British holiday makers and vice versa. British Citizens in Canada don't pay tax towards this so not discriminatory.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:06 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I am not likening healthcare to insurance. I am likening the existence of meeting certain conditions to an entitlement to certain advantages;
One meets certain conditions with one country/ pays the required private insurance premiums to one insurance company and one qualifies for the duration of the period of meeting those conditions/paying the premiums.

One no longer meets those conditions (having left the country other than temporarily) or no longer pays the premiums, one no longer qualifies.

Seems simple enough.
It is. Simple I mean. My point though, as I mentioned when people started talking about how unfair it was that people that 'never paid into the system' were receiving treatment on the NHS, is that paying into the system means sweet FA. It does however, appeal to a sense of fairness that seems quite common. You contribute nothing? You get nothing. I thought it might be worth pointing out that some people can find themselves in positions where they contribute, but still get nothing.

(I think I do alright for my Canadian tax btw, there's a real sense of 'Value Added' )

But 'resident' doesn't qualify you for the same things that Permanent Residency does. I'm sure you know that. How can you say your job is no less permanent when you won't be allowed to keep it when the visa expires?
Residency in a foreign country, as opposed to PR, seems to take rights away from you rather than grant them. My job is permanent because it is. Just like despite the fact you may get sacked 6 months from taking that fab new account management role in your home country, you don't call it 'non-permanent'. Nobody has a permanent job these days. I'll be able to keep my job when my BUNAC expires because me n the mrs' spousal sponsorship case will be finalised before it does.
.. Hopefully.

Is the granting of a BUNAC Visa conditional on an applicant indicating they are returning to their home country?
They introduced rules for the 2008 program that prevented those in common law relationships with Canadian nationals from taking part, but in short, no. If I have no other status when it does expire though, I will have to leave, or have applied for a change of status to a visitor, on the understanding that I am resident, but now visiting Canada.

You may intend (hope?) to stay in Canada but it's not your decision is it? If you don't get PR status and a visa runs out and won't get renewed will you try another country or will you return to the UK? At the moment it would seem the only guaranteed right you have is to continue with UK residency.

So it would seem that you would still count as a UK resident until something changes that. There's an end to your temporary stay in Canada so you're out of the UK temporarily aren't you?
See above.
Have you left the UK yet? If you have did you read the P80 before you filled it in? It's all about intent. A lot of immigration form filling seems to refer to it. Hence people having to prove intent to leave by selling their homes, or intent to settle by signing up for education, renting apartments etc.
Had one been away from the UK for an extended period but returned there after a Visa entitling one to live somewhere else expired, even the infamous Habitual Residency Test rules would have accepted one as being UK Resdient; that being the only constant.
I don't think so. As a British resident I'm pretty sure I'd have to keep paying tax, national insurance etc. Or have it cross-referenced with my the amount I paid the Canadians as there's a reciprocal tax agreement between the two. When I left the UK I got my tax refund etc.

This might put things more clearly than I can, google legal definition of resident:

RESIDENT - A person coming into a place with intention to establish his domicil or permanent residence, and who in consequence actually remains there. Time is not so essential as the intent, executed by making or beginning an actual establishment, though it be abandoned in a longer, or shorter period.

.. Jerseygirl, yep. You do have to have travel insurance while you're on a BUNAC visa from UK to Canada.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windward
I'll be able to keep my job when my BUNAC expires because me n the mrs' spousal sponsorship case will be finalised before it does.
.. Hopefully.
Well that's a little different then. Your situation is more long term/permanent/indefinite than it first appeared.

Sponsorship was my route in but my status until acceptance was as a visitor. My only guarantee was returning to the UK so I was able to claim a council tax rebate (until the house sale) on the basis I was temporarily absent from the UK.

Given my, then, lack of permanent status in Canada and my ongoing UK residency I'd have had no moral problem in receiving NHS treatment if I happened to be back there. But since becoming a PR, I would have a moral problem with it.

Good luck with the sponsorship. Don't do anything that allows CIC to get anything wrong. Ours was a straightforward case. We made the mistake of thinking they'd use common sense. They made a procedural error and further mistakes. It took nearly three years instead of the 6 months it was supposed to take and we paid double the fees and double medical fees as a result. We got an apology for the error but no corrective action.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

i say - get what you can free to make up for all the years of taxes you paid

and with a clear conscience

Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you may be interested in this posted by a BE member whose back in the UK working for the NHS.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=53
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windward
As we've already established anyway, healthcare in the UK has nothing to do with insurance, the national kind or otherwise. It's more about a philosophy, the benefits of which - now that people can enter and leave countries so easily - must be provided to residents only, except in emergency.
National Insurance is badly named isn't it? Surely insurance is compensation for a possible situation (e.g. car accident, disease) whereas assurance is compensation for an eventuality (e.g. Death, retirement). If National Insurance only covers your pension then it should be 'Assurance'.