Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a company to ship belongings to Canada from the UK?

Can anyone recommend a company to ship belongings to Canada from the UK?

Old Apr 28th 2012, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

edgardavids76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone recommend a company to ship belongings to Canada from the UK?

I want to ship my belongings from Liverpool to the Ottawa area.

I've been told approx. £2000 for a 20ft container. It's not a full house move, probably 2 or 3 pieces of furniture, clothes, some books, etc.,
I'm not moving with lots and I could easily fit everything in a 10ft x 8 ft container. I am concerned about the weight however, as I have to transport tools for my work (tools that can't be bought or cost way more to buy in Canada).

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone recommend a company to ship belongings to Canada from the UK?

Use the search button and type in removal companies shipping goods to Canada.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Can anyone recommend a company to ship belongings to Canada from the UK?

Yes, I have heard of searching the internet. That's how I found this site.

I will do that of course, but recommendations from people who have done something similar would still be welcome.

Ta.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I meant the search button on this site just below the blue bar
Read this regarding tools and the rest of this link

Items Imported for Commercial Use
26. Goods which are temporarily imported for commercial purposes are not admissible as personal baggage. This would include goods imported for demonstration or exhibition, commercial samples, tools, or articles associated with commercial lectures or presentations. Such goods may generally be imported customs duty free, and may also be eligible for full or partial GST/HST relief, provided they meet certain conditions.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-1-1-eng.pdf

Rates of movers will vary with different shipping companies so get at least 3 quotes and if using a groupage rate (goods in with others) or sole container.
Chances are a 20' container is sufficient.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edgardavids76
Yes, I have heard of searching the internet. That's how I found this site.

I will do that of course, but recommendations from people who have done something similar would still be welcome.

Ta.
Hi -welcome to the site!

Former Lancanstrian means use the search button on this site -not the Internet. There have been loads of people on here who have asked the same question and loads of replies and threads about it.

It's on the yellow bar at near the top of the page

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Hi -welcome to the site!

Former Lancanstrian means use the search button on this site -not the Internet. There have been loads of people on here who have asked the same question and loads of replies and threads about it.

It's on the yellow bar at near the top of the page

Hope that helps!
Yellow bar looks more like salmon pink to me
Im in a helpul mood this morning so here goes
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...oods+to+canada

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Apr 28th 2012 at 2:57 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Salmon pink? you need your eyes tested clearly.... And you are responsible for letting people in and out of the country... god help Canada!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 5:41 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

I paid two grand five years ago for a door to door service. I had to load and unload the container. I'd say you have a pretty good deal. If you have lots of room, throw some cases of beer and beans in for good measure
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Heather 123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Can anyone recommend a company to ship belongings to Canada from the UK?

Originally Posted by edgardavids76
I want to ship my belongings from Liverpool to the Ottawa area.

I've been told approx. £2000 for a 20ft container. It's not a full house move, probably 2 or 3 pieces of furniture, clothes, some books, etc.,
I'm not moving with lots and I could easily fit everything in a 10ft x 8 ft container. I am concerned about the weight however, as I have to transport tools for my work (tools that can't be bought or cost way more to buy in Canada).

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi, we moved to Canada from Chester in the UK...not that far from Liverpool.We used a company called JOHN MASON.They come to you're home and

discuss what you need. I actually think they're based in Liverpool, I could be wrong though. They came up with all ways of packing things to keep space to
a minimum. I believe it's the space you take up that costs the money. You can
even have half a container if you want. seriously consider the furniture side of
things, if you don't REALLY need it don't bring it. I hate to state the obvious
but I,m sure you know were on a different voltage than the UK with regard to
power tools. Make sure you take out the insurance it is very important, VERY, VERY important. Speak to anyone who's moved internationally and they'll all tell you of missing items. As for price it cost us 4000.00 pound 7 yrs ago to move a full house, that included them packing for us. We used up half a container so that gives you an idea as to the size of those things. make sure
you ask how long it will take to get here, I,m thinking you might need you're
tools for work maybe. We found JOHN MASON international movers very
Good. We really did our research and contacted many companies and found
them to be the best.....and the cheapest! I can't imagine they've changed
much. Hope I've helped in some way...good luck with you're move to Canada,
it's an amazing country. Oh by the way if you buy tools here for work you can claim tax back for them when you file your yearly taxes so keep the receipts .
Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Massive apologies to Former Lancastrian for the misunderstanding.
I will indeed search this way.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll ask around about a half container.
No problem with stating the obvious, but no, I'm not bring anything you have to plug in. Hand tools only -I'm a stone carver and I can't find any tool manufacturer in Canada, Vermont in the states seems the nearest, so I really have to bring everything with me from the UK.
Yes, I might have to look at shipping tools separately to get them quicker.

Has anyone heard of a service where you pack your own stuff and actually deliver it to someone to load and then collect it yourself at the other end?
I'm after any way to save money here.

I've already downsized, de-cluttered, etc., and I won't be taking anything that I can buy over there. But I imagine I could almost fill a 10ft x 8ft container with my stuff...

Thanks again.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:49 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible to share containers with other people. Depends on the shipping company.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:26 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Salmon pink? you need your eyes tested clearly.... And you are responsible for letting people in and out of the country... god help Canada!
Are you both mad? It's quite evidently Apricot!

OP I went am presently 'mid' move and got quotes from a number of companies, I am using The Moving Partnership, they've been great for me as I had stuff in a couple of countries and they are grouping them altogether for me....they have also come to me several times and taken boxes away in batches, so I'm not surrounded with the damned things - with luck they may even all arrive! They have been so so so helpful though, they certainly get my recommendation.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:46 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Did you know that 15% of men are colour blind. Welcome to the 15%.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:59 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

To the OP. You could airfrieght things over there. But if the tools are very heavy it will cost quite a lot, but probebly less than £2000. Choose an airline that flys to your chosen destiation and call them for the price per kilo. I have sent airfreight, I had to deliver it to LHR cargo and filled in the forms and paid the required cost. I did not send furniture though, soft furnishings, excess clothing and the odd item i couldn't do without was sent, it then gave me the essentials that I needed within 24 hrs of arriving at my new destination, duvets, pots and pans, that kind of thing. HTH.fletch
Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:05 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

www.brytor.ca

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.