Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

can anyone advise please

can anyone advise please

Old Jul 25th 2014, 10:39 pm
  #1  
forever blowing bubbles
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: cambridge ontario
Posts: 343
arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool can anyone advise please

hi everyone, wonder if anyone can answer this question for me. i work for a trucking company in Cambridge Ontario and am based in Cambridge. i work on a certain contract which means that i either pick up loads from Cambridge or Woodstock and deliver anywhere in a 100 mile radius. my company has decided that its too expensive to run the trucks 35 mins to pick up loads, so they have told us our trucks are going to based in Woodstock and we have to drive to Woodstock in our own cars. as we are local drivers that means a return journey everyday. we have been offered no compensation and have been told basically tough, thats whats happening. for me personally it means i have to buy another car as my wife needs one too, it would cost me a minimum $100 a week for gas, thats without any other expenses i.e wear and tear on the vehicle. my contract states im based in cambridge. my question is , can they legally do this ? thanks in advance
arniedog is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2014, 6:15 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: High River AB
Posts: 571
neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can anyone advise please

Originally Posted by arniedog View Post
hi everyone, wonder if anyone can answer this question for me. i work for a trucking company in Cambridge Ontario and am based in Cambridge. i work on a certain contract which means that i either pick up loads from Cambridge or Woodstock and deliver anywhere in a 100 mile radius. my company has decided that its too expensive to run the trucks 35 mins to pick up loads, so they have told us our trucks are going to based in Woodstock and we have to drive to Woodstock in our own cars. as we are local drivers that means a return journey everyday. we have been offered no compensation and have been told basically tough, thats whats happening. for me personally it means i have to buy another car as my wife needs one too, it would cost me a minimum $100 a week for gas, thats without any other expenses i.e wear and tear on the vehicle. my contract states im based in cambridge. my question is , can they legally do this ? thanks in advance
Hello, no idea of the legalities of it but from the trucking POV, Truck companies over here seem to have carte blanche on what they do regardless of what the contract says, especially if you are a TFW.
Quite honestly if I were you I'd move on to another company.
If you go on the trucking part of this forum you'll understand what I'm saying.
neilg14 is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2014, 3:29 pm
  #3  
forever blowing bubbles
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: cambridge ontario
Posts: 343
arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: can anyone advise please

Originally Posted by neilg14 View Post
Hello, no idea of the legalities of it but from the trucking POV, Truck companies over here seem to have carte blanche on what they do regardless of what the contract says, especially if you are a TFW.
Quite honestly if I were you I'd move on to another company.
If you go on the trucking part of this forum you'll understand what I'm saying.
Yeah I totally agree, nobody seems to give a damn. The resumes have already been sent out.
arniedog is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2014, 4:27 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,009
colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can anyone advise please

Originally Posted by arniedog View Post
hi everyone, wonder if anyone can answer this question for me. i work for a trucking company in Cambridge Ontario and am based in Cambridge. i work on a certain contract which means that i either pick up loads from Cambridge or Woodstock and deliver anywhere in a 100 mile radius. my company has decided that its too expensive to run the trucks 35 mins to pick up loads, so they have told us our trucks are going to based in Woodstock and we have to drive to Woodstock in our own cars. as we are local drivers that means a return journey everyday. we have been offered no compensation and have been told basically tough, thats whats happening. for me personally it means i have to buy another car as my wife needs one too, it would cost me a minimum $100 a week for gas, thats without any other expenses i.e wear and tear on the vehicle. my contract states im based in cambridge. my question is , can they legally do this ? thanks in advance

I don't see why they wouldn't legally be able to do this. The majority of people commute to their workplace and, essentially, that is all they are asking you to do. And people who commute to work aren't compensated for their commute so there would be no expectation for the company to compensate you.
colchar is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:05 pm
  #5  
Concierge
 
SchnookoLoly's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
Posts: 8,320
SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can anyone advise please

Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I don't see why they wouldn't legally be able to do this. The majority of people commute to their workplace and, essentially, that is all they are asking you to do. And people who commute to work aren't compensated for their commute so there would be no expectation for the company to compensate you.
+1 to what colchar said. I work in Mississauga and have a colleague who lives in Waterloo who commutes into this office. She doesn't get paid any compensation for her 1.5h-each-way commute...
SchnookoLoly is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2014, 7:19 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,348
Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can anyone advise please

I don't think it's the commute so much as the location. Contract says Cambridge, pick ups used to be split between there and Woodstock, now they're all being changed to Woodstock with no change in pay. Am I getting that right?

How do you currently work days when you have to get to Woodstock? I would think that if they were implementing a complete change of location beyond a certain distance it might be different. Their argument could likely be that you already travel to Woodstock part of the time as a commute so must be ok to do that.
Dashie is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2014, 7:20 pm
  #7  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,851
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can anyone advise please

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly View Post
+1 to what colchar said. I work in Mississauga and have a colleague who lives in Waterloo who commutes into this office. She doesn't get paid any compensation for her 1.5h-each-way commute...
I think this case is more as if they moved the office to Waterloo causing you to have commute. The worker, of course, has no leg to stand on; they can move the base of operations to Montreal if they so choose.
dbd33 is online now  
Old Jul 28th 2014, 7:21 pm
  #8  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can anyone advise please

Originally Posted by arniedog View Post
my contract states im based in cambridge. my question is , can they legally do this ? thanks in advance
It depends on the contract and if it really is a contract or just list of responsibilities. If you are in a legally binding contract, they move you and it is considered unreasonable, you are not willing to move and leave their employment because of it, you may be entitled to claim EI, you may be entitled to severance, however you should talk to en employment lawyer to be sure before making any decisions.

Leaving because of a 35 minute commute may be seen as unreasonable on your part.

Have you thought of what you will tell other prospective employers when asked why you left? It may affect your employability.

From an economics perspective, what the company are doing seems to make good sense. Employee relations is another consideration.
Aviator is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.