Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

can any one give us advice on job offers

can any one give us advice on job offers

Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

jess and toby is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool can any one give us advice on job offers

my partner has been offered a job as tiler in winnipeg canada paying 20 dollars an hour is this around the right mark
its also on a 3 year contract advice grately recieved
thanks
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can any one give us advice on job offers

No idea on the pay I am afraid.

But I assume that your partner will be getting a work permit through this job offer. If so, the maximum that a work permit can be issued for is 3 years. Job offers / contracts can only be for so long as your work permit, hence the 3 year part most probably.

It was just a techincality with my company. They extended my contract when I got a new work permit (my initial one was just for a year). Also, when I applied for BC PNP, they had to write a letter saying that they would put me on a permanent contract when I got PR.

For some jobs, the spouse / common-law partner of someone who gets a work permit can get an open permit, i.e. they can work pretty much any job with a few exceptions. But you might want to check if a tiler can get can an open work permit for their spouse / common law partner.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:56 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can any one give us advice on job offers

I used the Salary Guide in the Resource Centre of the Workpolis website to find out what tile setters earned. The website stated that wages across Canada ranged from $14.50 to $21.50/hour.

The rough guide for translating an hourly wage into an annual wage is to multiply the hourly wage by 2,000. So $20/hour works out to roughly $40,000/year.

The spouse of a work permit holder is eligible for a spousal open work permit (SOWP) if the primary work permit holder belongs to Skill Level O, A or B on the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

If my reading of the NOC website is correct, a tile setter belongs to Skill Level B and, as such, his/her spouse or common-law partner is eligible for an SOWP.

To see the chart for yourself, go to the NOC website, and click on the word "Matrix" in the left hand margin. Look in column 6, which covers Trades, Transport and Equipment Operators. Go down the column till you come to 728 - Masonry and Plastering Trades. Now follow that row till you reach the left hand column, and you'll see that the occupations in that row belong to Skill Level B.

Now go to the left hand margin of NOC's home page and click on "Search 2006." When you reach the search page, search for tilesetter. You'll get to a page that describes Tilesetters. On that page you'll see that the NOC code for tilesetters is 7283. The first three digits of that code, 728, lead me to believe that tilesetters fall under the larger umbrella of Masonry and Plastering Trades.

As we've already discussed, Masonry and Plastering Trades belong to Skill Level B. Therefore the spouse of a person who had a work permit on the basis of being a tilesetter would be able to get an SOWP -- if I've understood the website correctly.

Hope that helps.