Reload this Page >

Campbell River

Campbell River

Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

MICC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Campbell River

Hi Guys
We have some job interviews on Vancouver Island next week, the first and most promising looking is in Campbell River, we were wondering if someone could give us a bit more info on that area, schools, crime stats, ammenities, wild-life, areas to avoid etc. We'd also be thinking about living outside of CR looking at a possible, 15-35 min commute in.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice
Default Re: Campbell River

campbell river is nice

but why drive 30 minutes to get there? do you plan to live atop Mount Washington??? you could almost live in Comox and drive there in that time

suggest you go visit before deciding, same rule applies to anywhere you are thinking of living/working as far as I am concerned
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

ukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

CR is a great place

I grew up on the very North of the island and family still there, CR feels like the end of the road as there really isn't much past in terms of built up towns so it is a great place for the space feeling.

You also have easy access to shopping both in CR and down into Courtney/Comox and you are only 4 hours from Victoria.

Great fishing/hunting/outdoors as well as great skiing up Mt Washington.
Can look a bit industrial as Logging is still big there but with that fluctuating they are concentrating on more tourism.

As for drive time you really have to have a look around to decide how long in Canadian drive times as it is different from here as there are less cars. You go north and in the winter you can drive all the way to Port Hardy (about 2 1/2 hours) without seeing another car. Do the same trip in the middle of summer and you get stuck behind a convoy of RVs heading north for the ferry and fishing.

If you have kids they might feel like they can't wait to get out but that is the same for most small towns in Canada - they all want to get to the big smokes - I was the same and now that I have kids I want to move them to a small town in Canada.

So it has a small town feel with some big town amenities fairly easy access to shopping but also outdoors.

As for education/places to avoid/crime etc you will have to see that for yourself as it has been 20 years since I was on the PHSS rugby team and we kicked Cari Highs butt so I can't comment.

Get out there and watch a whale, stare at a bald eagle and watch a bear fish during the salmon run and you will not get on the plane back but then anywhere on the island is great
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:52 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there - we live 20 mins from Campbell River and 10 mins from Courtenay. We have been here since May 07 and love the area. Please ask any questions you want or PM me.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the responses so far..
Gloveman - Have PM'd you... cheers.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Elsie lives in CR so pm her too.

My family live in Black Creek in between the two. We are planning on living in the area if we get our visas and are going out there this summer for 6 weeks. Soooooo looking forward to it.

What kind of job are you looking for? Do you have kids too?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi - Yes, two boys 6 & 9. We have IT Management job offer in CR, just need the face to face job interview formality, are flying out week after next.

Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MICC
Hi - Yes, two boys 6 & 9. We have IT Management job offer in CR, just need the face to face job interview formality, are flying out week after next.

A job interview that's a formality!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MICC

If you have not arranged your lodging for your stay. We have stayed at a great B&B in Black Creek which is only a 20 minute drive along the coast to Campbell River and they except children.Their website is www.blackcreekbedandbreakfast.ca.