Wikiposts

Camcorders

Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:24 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camcorders

Once you downloaded it to your PC to edit, you can burn a DVD in either PAL or NTSC format. Thats the real advantage of Digital video. However, I did an experiment with a friend in england with a similar (but PAL format) camera. I could view his tape on my camcorder, but the output from his tape would not work on my TV through my camera, as it is NTSC only. Something to do with the different number of frames per second I suspect.

Although many TVs and DVD players in the UK support both NTSC and PAL, its probably safer to burn a DVD in PAL format if you can.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 24th 2005 at 8:30 am.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Although many TVs and DVD players in the UK support both NTSC and PAL, its probably safer to burn a DVD in PAL format if you can.
Well, if their TV was bought in the last ten years it's almost certain to be able to display NTSC DVDs. The DVD player will convert NTSC to a 'fake PAL' (aka PAL60) signal which the TV can understand, though they might have to change some menu options to enable that feature.

I'm sure that TVs and DVD players which can't play NTSC exist in the UK, but I've yet to find one.

However, one issue to be aware of when recording with an NTSC camcorder in the UK is that you may get flickering on the image if you tape anything in rooms with flourescent lights. Because the lights flicker at 50Hz and the camera records at 60Hz, you can get a 10Hz lighting flicker in the recorded footage... PAL cameras in 60Hz countries don't seem to have the same problem. It's not going to make the tape unwatchable, but it can be a bit distracting.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

aahtuk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lizwil98
So - are you saying that if I get a Canadian format minidv camcorder, I can burn a DVD in PAL format? Or are you saying that if I burn a DVD then anybody can watch that DVD - or do you have to specially burn it in UK format?

From my experience - you CANNOT burn a PAL DVD from NTSC video (I tried using SONY DVD burning software, and it would not let me since the formats are completely different).

BUT, as MarkG said - once you record Canadian NTSC video you will be able to burn an NTSC DVD, however my family back home is able to view it on PAL equipment which was a great relief. They are using a brand new PAL DVD player and a semi-new Panasonic PAL TV. Works OK (although there is a bit of a dicrease in smootheness of the video since PAL and NTSC vary by the number of frames displayed per second).

Hope this helps.

LET'S UNITE THE FORMATS, FOR LORD'S SAKE..... TO PAL
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

If you dont have a DVD burner but have a CDR burner then you can burn them as VCDs which isnt as good quality as DVD but will play NTSC on most PAL DVD players.

You can convert NTSC filmed digital video into PAL format using Canapus Pro coder. Have used this before to change the format, sent 2 discs to friends in the UK, one in NSTC format and the other PAL format converted from original NTSC format, burned onto 2 VCDs. Both formats worked fine in there UK DVD players.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

If it's short (<15 minutes or so) you can burn DVD-format video to CD and a lot of DVD players will play that. There's also SVCD, which is about half-way between DVD and VCD quality-wise, and should be supported by most DVD players.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aahtuk
From my experience - you CANNOT burn a PAL DVD from NTSC video (I tried using SONY DVD burning software, and it would not let me since the formats are completely different).

BUT, as MarkG said - once you record Canadian NTSC video you will be able to burn an NTSC DVD, however my family back home is able to view it on PAL equipment which was a great relief. They are using a brand new PAL DVD player and a semi-new Panasonic PAL TV. Works OK (although there is a bit of a dicrease in smootheness of the video since PAL and NTSC vary by the number of frames displayed per second).

Hope this helps.

LET'S UNITE THE FORMATS, FOR LORD'S SAKE..... TO PAL
I used Intervideo winDVD creator, came with my PC. No problems switching format. The stuff Sony gives you with the camcorder isnt even worth using as a coaster for your coffee mug
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I have something called Photo Explosion, it does a really good job of fixing photos and there is a feature called Picture to TV - you are supposed to be able to drag photos into a window and then burn them on a CD in PAL format. I tried it - sent it to my sister so my Mom could watch it on the TV as she gets really confused by the computer. It didn't work. I tried burning one in NTSC format - and that didn't work. I am obviously doing something wrong. I read the manual 500 times and I can't figure it out, so I quit before I chucked the book out the window!
Old May 30th 2005, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aahtuk
Another advantage of Mini DV Camcorders is that you can have an NTSC (American/Canadian) camcorder and the video you shoot and record onto a DVD+-R disk can be actually played back in Europe on PAL equipment! I was very relieved when I discovered that since now it is easier to share the video memories with the loved ones back home.
Have been thinking of buying a camcorder for our holiday in Canada in July. I want to be sure that whatever I buy will be compatible for when we move to Canada permanently.

Not knowing much about modern camcorders, can someone with a bit more knowledge than me (that will not be hard) point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for and the questions I need to ask the salesperson. It appears that Mini DV, or Firewire seems to be the way forward, but I have also had a DVD camcorder recommended. However, I have read that the DVD camcorders can freeze or produce "block" images, as the technology is not yet quite up to scratch. Any suggestions.

Also I have read on this thread that it is possible to get converters to charge Canadian camcorders in the UK, I assume that the opposite is possible too i.e. a UK camcorder to be charged in Canada.
Old May 30th 2005, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Ruslan124 will become famous soon enough

I agree with teh group that Mini DV is a good choice over the other tape formats such as Hi 8 but DVD Camcorders have benefits too so it depends on what you want from your recordings.

If you wish to edit your recordings on a PC and add music, titles and special effects then Mini DV is the way to go because the recorded video is uncompressed. Make sure you have plenty of memory and hard disk space on your PC if you plan to do this. Make sure you have or can get a firewire or USB 2.0 port on your PC (avoid USB 1.0) it is too slow. Make sure the Camera has a USB 2.0 or firewire port (or Sony equivelent of Firewire as mentioned in previous posting).

If you are happy to live with what you have recorded then DVD camcorders are a good choice for a hassle free recording. Remember though that DVD camcorders compress the recordings into MPEG format which means that if you are really fussy you would notice a little less quality than viewing a Mini DV tape which is uncompressed (this is generally not an issue for most people).

There is a 3rd option and that is compact flash based recording. This also records MPEG format to a tiny hard disk. This JVC has a 5 megapixel built in digital still camera and is a 3 CCD camera (in a nutshell 3 CCD camera should give better quality than a single CCD). It is also tiny and easy to carry around. The negative is that it is a little expensive.

http://www.i4u.com/article2827.html