British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Calling the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/calling-uk-908800/)

SambaDeAmigo Feb 4th 2018 2:09 pm

Calling the UK

Just wondering what everyone is using to make calls to the UK? Anything free out there that's reliable?
Google Voice (now Hangouts) used to be free but it's not anymore.

Former Lancastrian Feb 4th 2018 2:12 pm

Re: Calling the UK

Collect call is if they accept I think:lol:
I think a few use Face Time or other such apps.

SambaDeAmigo Feb 4th 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12434590)
Collect call is if they accept I think:lol:
I think a few use Face Time or other such apps.

Yeah I use whatsapp and skype etc.. with family and friends but I have to call one of my banks in the UK

Former Lancastrian Feb 4th 2018 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo (Post 12434600)
Yeah I use whatsapp and skype etc.. with family and friends but I have to call one of my banks in the UK

Well the bank isn't probably poor so might accept a collect call :rofl: Do they not have email?

Hurlabrick Feb 4th 2018 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo (Post 12434588)
Just wondering what everyone is using to make calls to the UK? Anything free out there that's reliable?
Google Voice (now Hangouts) used to be free but it's not anymore.

I use skype with some money on the account. Not free, but VERY low cost hardly worth worrying about.

rawsalad Feb 5th 2018 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12434609)
Well the bank isn't probably poor so might accept a collect call :rofl: Do they not have email?

yeah. a UK bank actually paying for a call! :rofl: Those guys had 0845 number at 15p/min and would make you wait 15 minutes .

But, while in the UK, my Canadian bank did have a free number to call.

Former Lancastrian Feb 5th 2018 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by rawsalad (Post 12435456)
yeah. a UK bank actually paying for a call! :rofl: Those guys had 0845 number at 15p/min and would make you wait 15 minutes .

But, while in the UK, my Canadian bank did have a free number to call.

I call absolute BOLLOCKS on this claim of a Canadian bank having a free number to call. Everybody and their dog knows that the UK banking system is far superior to the Canadian system. According to some we are still writing on stone tablets.

Edo Feb 6th 2018 6:58 pm

Whatsapp.

Piff Poff Feb 6th 2018 8:55 pm

I just use the landline, it doesn't cost that much. OH will buy a phone card to use when we are out an about on a Sunday, when he usually calls his son (he's blinking 27 years old now - you think he could figure out a phone works the other way around too!!! Grumble Grumble).

Snowy560 Feb 6th 2018 11:42 pm

WhatsApp & Viber.

Landline for UK institutions.

quiltman Feb 7th 2018 12:43 am

I use skype for calling UK folks such as HMRC, International Pensions, my UK bank and insurance companies. A 10 euro credit usually lasts at least a year. Find their UK landline numbers via www.saynoto0870.com as usually these numbers get answered quicker than even the 0800 ones!

llysmabley Feb 7th 2018 5:22 pm

I am with Rogers and my calls to the UK are just 10cents/minute anytime/anyday.
They even rang me to say Rogers has a way to reduce this to 5cents/minute if I change my contract. I didn't bother.

Allie73 Feb 9th 2018 11:57 pm

We use Vonage, and have done since before we moved to Canada. We have a UK phone number and a Toronto number. We didn't have to change the numbers when we moved to Canada.

DMajor Feb 15th 2018 5:32 pm

www.ringbritain.com

Engineer_abroad Feb 16th 2018 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12434635)
I use skype with some money on the account. Not free, but VERY low cost hardly worth worrying about.

+1