British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Calling all nurses!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/calling-all-nurses-846195/)

jennyj83 Dec 18th 2014 12:30 pm

Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Canadian Dream,

How long did it take between invite for SEC and attendance at SEC?

Did you find it difficult to get a place on the one year re-entry course at Kwantlen?....and how much is it costing?

I applied in Aug 2014 before NNAS stuff started. It has taken a few months t get all documentation together but finally everything is with CRNBC so hoping for an invite to SEC in New Year. I'm really hoping to get on IEN re-entry course in Sept 2015 but thought it might be a pipe dream.

I'm Canadian but trained in UK so moving home and avoiding any hassle with immigration. CRNBC is hassle enough!

Any advice/info greatly appreciated!

bats Dec 18th 2014 3:18 pm

I've a friend who is studying for her NCLEX exam, she passed her OSCE. I think it took 18 months to come through. She applied for RPN at the same time and that still hasn't come through. In the meantime she's working as a PSW.

MolokoPlus Dec 28th 2014 12:56 pm

Hi, I'm currently going through the NNAS verification process as well and the "notarization" bit threw me too. Did you ever figure it out? I've emailed them asking for clarification about exactly what it is that they require so hopefully all will be clear soon.

CanadianDreams Jan 18th 2015 3:13 am

Originally Posted by jennyj83 (Post 11506769)
Canadian Dream,

How long did it take between invite for SEC and attendance at SEC?

Did you find it difficult to get a place on the one year re-entry course at Kwantlen?....and how much is it costing?

I applied in Aug 2014 before NNAS stuff started. It has taken a few months t get all documentation together but finally everything is with CRNBC so hoping for an invite to SEC in New Year. I'm really hoping to get on IEN re-entry course in Sept 2015 but thought it might be a pipe dream.

I'm Canadian but trained in UK so moving home and avoiding any hassle with immigration. CRNBC is hassle enough!

Any advice/info greatly appreciated!

Hi Jenny

I got the invite for the SEC in January 2014 and originally they didn't have any places until the april but I was lucky and got in on a cancellation as I live in Langley so easy for me to attend, it then took 6 weeks for the results to come back. I was then lucky again and very persistent with admin at Kwantlen and got a place for the September 2014 one week before, I originally had a place for January 2015.
If your here in BC and ready to go at the drop of a hat then it's possible.....once you get invited for SEC email them saying you can attend at short notice ( if you can) :)

Good Luck :)

kasiadoran Feb 18th 2015 9:46 am

can someone please just provide me with a simple answer...we are thinking NS, I am dealing with the registration now...applied before the changes, flying over in April for the Full Nursing assessment, then I know I will need to do extra modules so it will take whatever it takes...am I completely wrong thinking that I would like to get a registration first...then apply for the job...then with the job offer apply for either visa or PNP...I would rather stay in UK until the registration is sorted...but everyone is doing it completely different...am I wrong?

Silverdragon102 Feb 18th 2015 10:53 am

You need to do what you need to do for you and your family. Sounds about right for me though what you have planned

caleo Feb 18th 2015 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by kasiadoran (Post 11568890)
can someone please just provide me with a simple answer...we are thinking NS, I am dealing with the registration now...applied before the changes, flying over in April for the Full Nursing assessment, then I know I will need to do extra modules so it will take whatever it takes...am I completely wrong thinking that I would like to get a registration first...then apply for the job...then with the job offer apply for either visa or PNP...I would rather stay in UK until the registration is sorted...but everyone is doing it completely different...am I wrong?

Getting registration in Canada (for the majority of nurses nowadays) is the hardest part of the process. I think you are doing the right thing - making sure you have your registration here, then you can work on getting a job and moving forward.

Good luck!!

kasiadoran Feb 19th 2015 5:54 am

Silverdragon 102 and Caleo thank you;)

nicobenn Feb 19th 2015 12:48 pm

HI
Im in the process of moving or trying to move to nova scotia , i have to sit an assessment in june as missing hours in maternity and mental health as experience doesnt seem to count, just go on training completed 18 years ago and then hopefully will be able to sit the exam after this if i pass. i have been nursing for 18 years and am currently working as an advanced nurse practitioner in genral practice and urgent care in the UK and this is what i want to do in NS does anyone have any experience as to whether our nurse practitioner qualification is reconised or anyone successfully doing this in NS.

kasiadoran Feb 19th 2015 1:03 pm

nicobenn just sent you a message

Garbatellamike Feb 19th 2015 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by nicobenn (Post 11570112)
it wont let me open message kasiadoran

nico you need to have made 3 posts to access PM capability - it is spam protection....

Silverdragon102 Feb 19th 2015 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by nicobenn (Post 11570078)
HI
Im in the process of moving or trying to move to nova scotia , i have to sit an assessment in june as missing hours in maternity and mental health as experience doesnt seem to count, just go on training completed 18 years ago and then hopefully will be able to sit the exam after this if i pass. i have been nursing for 18 years and am currently working as an advanced nurse practitioner in genral practice and urgent care in the UK and this is what i want to do in NS does anyone have any experience as to whether our nurse practitioner qualification is reconised or anyone successfully doing this in NS.

Have you recognised UK qualification for Advanced NP? This may help Out of Province NP

nicobenn Feb 19th 2015 2:51 pm

HI
yes i have submitted all paperwork but obviously need to register as RN before they will even look at NP qualification just wondered if i will get the same red tape i have had for RN qualification and if any successfully has managed to work as NP .

anders101 Feb 19th 2015 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by nicobenn (Post 11570202)
HI
yes i have submitted all paperwork but obviously need to register as RN before they will even look at NP qualification just wondered if i will get the same red tape i have had for RN qualification and if any successfully has managed to work as NP .

I don't know anyone who has managed to get their NP qualification transferred to NS. Typically, you have to do the course again, as the programme is quite different. Also unless you are looking to work in a more remote area, there are very few NP posts available. It is still a fairly new concept here and both the Doctors and Nurses and wary of them in a lot of settings. The Doctors seem fiercely protective of their status and are not welcoming of the new role. As an example, there is only 1 NP in the entire hospital I work in. She struggles to get support and recognition from the rest of the staff. There are many many unemployed Canadian NP's in the province just waiting to pounce on any job.
Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but just saying it as it is.....

kasiadoran Feb 19th 2015 5:29 pm

I know it's the same for practice nurses...still very new and still very few