Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Old Aug 20th 2015, 8:46 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Originally Posted by sugarlips12
i am hoping to work in Ontario i started my application earlier this year to be fair when i applied i didnt do my research into pitfalls etc finding out the hard way now!
yes i understand alot of nurses saying its not a bed of roses lol but show me nursing where it is lol
Sorry badly phrased! I meant the nursing registration process. Nursing is nursing worldwide, although you should probably be make yourself aware of seniority as part of your research into nursing here.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

mjsmith83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sugarlips12
hello i am going through the NNAS process and its a nightmare!! they need information that is generally not provided by human resources in the UK such how many hours you have worked each year for the last 5 yrs! and even if you guess it, human resources are reluctant to sign it as they have no proof of what how many hours you did in another job role.
i have changed jobs alot in the last 5yrs so im having difficulties also human resources will send the NNAS forms back to you. but NNAS states it must come directly from the employer not you. but as its going overseas HR say NNAS must write to them as request the forms to be sent (but they wont). so your stuck! i think they have made it extremely difficult for international nurses to register.
on a brighter note if you have had the same nursing job for the last 5 yrs then you will probably have no problem.
also they require the original of your IELTS test scores ensure before booking you request a copy is sent to them. as you will need the copy you get for your visa application.
Try contacting the pay office and they should be able to provide all the information you need for HR.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question...i did the initial RN assessment before the NNAS so I find couple of things confusing... in ontario do I still apply via NNAS for LPN /RPN registration? In nova scotia LPN was under different college etc
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
Just a quick question...i did the initial RN assessment before the NNAS so I find couple of things confusing... in ontario do I still apply via NNAS for LPN /RPN registration? In nova scotia LPN was under different college etc
My understanding is if trained outside of Canada regardless if RN or LPN you have to go through NNAS but should state on CNO website
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Thank you silverdragon
Old Sep 14th 2015, 5:25 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

So an email from the CNO last week to my enquiry which states that I am still in a queue for evaluation and I assume from that unlikely to receive an evaluation in time to apply for the January 2016 exam at the end of October.

I have contacted the Office of Fair Commission and spoke to someone (a very nice lady) who deals with the CNO. Unfortunately I am not a one off, the CNO apparently has a huge backlog of RPN applications as IEN nurses worried about the RN process applied for RPN instead or as well as. The time scale didn't seem abnormal to her and she receives frequent phone calls about this.

She said that CNO are meant to be showing some leniency in regard to processing time as it is their fault i.e. If it takes three years to process I will be out of practice time, but I have seen some anecdotal evidence that suggests that they are not lenient

Anyhow, I have another person to email to request "transparent" information to which I am apparently entitled to and won't affect my application. Again

I am merely being factual and this relates to registration with the CNO before NNAS commenced. The only caveat being is that nurses going through NNAS still have to apply to the CNO (if they wish to work in Ontario). Whether NNAS applications will have their own route through the CNO is anyone's guess, and NNAS own website state that it can take 12 months to process. They have been set up for over a year now I believe so I guess time will tell

At 18 months from application going in, I have had a third child who is now six months old and applied and gained PR in that time period which is frankly ridiculous. I have started to look into an RN course which is four years, two years only an hour away, two years at two hours away full time. I'm not sure it's manageable with the kids to be honest and my husband's job but we'll see- to go from RPN to RN would require two years at an hour away part time but of course I have to get RPN status first

Make of the above what you will...

Last edited by Tirytory; Sep 14th 2015 at 6:36 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 11:12 am
Muskoka, Ontario

I can't edit my above post now but I found out yesterday that the nearest university has said to someone else that unless you trained as an RPN in Ontario they will not give you credits towards the RN course so it means if I eventually get an RPN role I will not be able to be an RN without going back to school for four years to study..starting from scratch

I just wanted to clear that up for anyone considering that route..
Old Sep 15th 2015, 11:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I can't edit my above post now but I found out yesterday that the nearest university has said to someone else that unless you trained as an RPN in Ontario they will not give you credits towards the RN course so it means if I eventually get an RPN role I will not be able to be an RN without going back to school for four years to study..starting from scratch

I just wanted to clear that up for anyone considering that route..
Thanks for the update, and for sharing the process. Sorry it's not better news for you though, particularly after waiting so long.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your update...this is pretty much my story so far...and I am just fed up

So an email from the CNO last week to my enquiry which states that I am still in a queue for evaluation and I assume from that unlikely to receive an evaluation in time to apply for the January 2016 exam at the end of October.

I have contacted the Office of Fair Commission and spoke to someone (a very nice lady) who deals with the CNO. Unfortunately I am not a one off, the CNO apparently has a huge backlog of RPN applications as IEN nurses worried about the RN process applied for RPN instead or as well as. The time scale didn't seem abnormal to her and she receives frequent phone calls about this.

She said that CNO are meant to be showing some leniency in regard to processing time as it is their fault i.e. If it takes three years to process I will be out of practice time, but I have seen some anecdotal evidence that suggests that they are not lenient

Anyhow, I have another person to email to request "transparent" information to which I am apparently entitled to and won't affect my application. Again

I am merely being factual and this relates to registration with the CNO before NNAS commenced. The only caveat being is that nurses going through NNAS still have to apply to the CNO (if they wish to work in Ontario). Whether NNAS applications will have their own route through the CNO is anyone's guess, and NNAS own website state that it can take 12 months to process. They have been set up for over a year now I believe so I guess time will tell

At 18 months from application going in, I have had a third child who is now six months old and applied and gained PR in that time period which is frankly ridiculous. I have started to look into an RN course which is four years, two years only an hour away, two years at two hours away full time. I'm not sure it's manageable with the kids to be honest and my husband's job but we'll see- to go from RPN to RN would require two years at an hour away part time but of course I have to get RPN status first

Make of the above what you will...

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 16th 2015 at 4:08 pm. Reason: Attempting to fix quotes
Old Sep 16th 2015, 5:17 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
Thank you for your update...this is pretty much my story so far...and I am just fed up
Yeah me too. My husband said to me last night that if I want to go home so I can practice as a Staff Nurse he would completely understand and would fully support the decision. I have until June next year to complete 100 hours so doable. This situation was never the plan.

In fact talking to York University (Toronto) nursing faculty yesterday about bridging course ... I would need to apply to NNAS to assess me as an RN (RPN not sufficient to get on the course) clearly as a previous Diploma education, I'm going to fail, I can then apply to this almost two years bridging course in York to which she said it is fiercely competitive to get a place on and pay $14000 and it's two hours away from where I live every day even if you do get a place...
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 12:57 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Me again!

I had my letter on Thursday saying that I was eligible to sit the CRPNE.... Application went in by return of post. I have an exam date and had better get studying
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Me again!

I had my letter on Thursday saying that I was eligible to sit the CRPNE.... Application went in by return of post. I have an exam date and had better get studying
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 2:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Me again!

Well done! Now the hard work begins.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Me again!

Hurrah!!! No pressure.....
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 5:35 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Me again!

Now get down to hard work girl like Dr TT ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.