Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Old Aug 19th 2015, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Originally Posted by caleo
Today I decided to look online to see if I could find any updates from applicants who have gone through NNAS. Seems like the process is not as smooth as they would like you to believe. Some RNs from US who have sat the NCLEX exam in the U.S. a were assessed as not being equivalent to RN in Canada.

Once the NNAS have assessed credentials you apply to the board of nurses - from what I read this can then take a further 20 weeks in Ontario.

People should also not assume that because they have a degree in nursing that they will automatically get the ok to write the RPN exam - this is not a given. It still depends on the course content and how your training equates. RPN here is not just a shortened RN course - and they have different competencies to meet in order to satisfy the biard of nursing. The competencies are available online on the board of nursing website (eg CNO).
I don't think assumption is being made at all here- yes there is a lot of uncertainty because all we are going on is hearsay and advise but I have been told by a lady from CARNA that having a BsCN rather than a diploma will open a lot more doors. However like you say due to the duties being different some form of module will no doubt be required I've no doubt in my mind that more work will be needed lol.
Are you able to advise of the kind of duties LPN/RPN perform? I have read on their official website and it seems no different to what nurses and health care assistants carry out.

Many thanks
Old Aug 19th 2015, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

LPN/RPN scope is very similar to RN. Some will not allow them to hang blood and they are not supposed to take high risk patients but from reading this isn't always the case
Old Aug 19th 2015, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

So realistically the qualifications are likely to compare at more of an equal level rather than CA/RN - UK/RN.
I've decided to apply for both. That way all information will be there to make an informed decision rather than putting all my eggs in one basket
Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:29 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
I don't think assumption is being made at all here- yes there is a lot of uncertainty because all we are going on is hearsay and advise but I have been told by a lady from CARNA that having a BsCN rather than a diploma will open a lot more doors. However like you say due to the duties being different some form of module will no doubt be required I've no doubt in my mind that more work will be needed lol.
Are you able to advise of the kind of duties LPN/RPN perform? I have read on their official website and it seems no different to what nurses and health care assistants carry out.

Many thanks

I don't think Caleo meant you were assuming you were ok, rather that NNAS is brand new and nobody really has no idea what they are going to treat as equivalent education. Plus it looks like it is only a report that goes forward to your provincial body of choice so it looks like the CNO for example still have the final say in what they decide is acceptable or not. From what I can gather a NNAS is just a Canada wide way of gathering documents and making sure they are acceptable. I thought Alberta and B.C. were easier to get registered in and shorter on nursing staff so I would definitely target them but obviously check all that out!! Don't take my word for it. I was reading on Allnurses yesterday about nurses struggling to get jobs in Ontario
Old Aug 19th 2015, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

hitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I thought Alberta and B.C. were easier to get registered in and shorter on nursing staff so I would definitely target them but obviously check all that out!! Don't take my word for it.

It took me two years (from start to finish) under the old system to get registered. Nowadays, it seems its getting longer!

BC has many RN openings! However it depends which part of BC you'd ultimately like to live in. As usual, the most in need are the for four 'critical care' specific areas- ICU, OR, ER and NICU.

If a RN wanted to work in the lower mainland (vancouver, burnaby, surrey, new west) they would ultimately have to have some form of critical care experience / credentials or be willing to work casual on a medical/surgical floor. There are not that many full-time permanent positions in the lower mainland and most of the positions that are available are casual. There are a few others such as mental health, but they are few and far between. Casual is great as you get your foot in the door - but you get no guarantee of hours and no extended benefits etc.

I don't know if this is BC specific or Canada specific but boy-oh-boy do these guys love their further education. ACLS, PALS, ATLS, NRP etc etc.

In the interior bc (kamloops, kelowna, east kootenays) critical care again takes precedence, but there are a few more openings for surgical/medical floor nursing. However, you'd be giving up the 'big city' life. However, Kelowna is beautiful in the summer.

To conclude this, BC is getting increasingly harder to get 'grounded' here, its expensive (alongside it being the best place in Canada ..-biased)! hehe.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

hitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
LPN/RPN scope is very similar to RN. Some will not allow them to hang blood and they are not supposed to take high risk patients but from reading this isn't always the case
What you say is true. It truly is hard to really say what a LPN can and can't do. It depends on the individual health authority / provincial body. It also depends on the specific area too. For instance, I haven't worked with any LPNs at all - I work in a critical care area (they tend not to work in critical care areas here).

What i've been told by my nursing union (I asked, just incase I had to work with one!) is that I can't delegate things a RN has do. I can't delegate an assessment. I can't delegate a plan/or an implementation. I can't delegate teaching. I can't delegate an evaluation. It is basically the nursing process. Ultimately, the RN is responsible for the LPN so we should be working together to accomplish patient specific goals.

Everybody will just have to figure out what LPNs can do in their specific province /health authority!
Old Aug 19th 2015, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

I don't think Caleo meant you were assuming you were ok, rather that NNAS is brand new and nobody really has no idea what they are going to treat as equivalent education. Plus it looks like it is only a report that goes forward to your provincial body of choice so it looks like the CNO for example still have the final say in what they decide is acceptable or not. From what I can gather a NNAS is just a Canada wide way of gathering documents and making sure they are acceptable. I thought Alberta and B.C. were easier to get registered in and shorter on nursing staff so I would definitely target them but obviously check all that out!! Don't take my word for it. I was reading on Allnurses yesterday about nurses struggling to get jobs in Ontario
Yes they do seem like just an organisation who assesses qualifications and provides a report its ultimately the nursing body that make the decisions on further education required.
I've actually had an email back from Nova Scotia board of nursing today (emailed last week). They appear to have less requirements than any where else - but again I could be wrong. The lady I spoke to has said they accept adult nurses from the UK but perhaps would need to do a module in paeds. The only requirements on there website is that a nurse has medical and surgical training ,so no mental health nurse or midwife can apply. Found this quite interesting and thought I would share..... If anyone has any info on this please correct me as I'm not 100%

Last edited by KerryCullen1987; Aug 19th 2015 at 7:18 pm. Reason: Missed word
Old Aug 19th 2015, 7:32 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
Yes they do seem like just an organisation who assesses qualifications and provides a report its ultimately the nursing body that make the decisions on further education required.
I've actually had an email back from Nova Scotia board of nursing today (emailed last week). They appear to have less requirements than any where else - but again I could be wrong. The lady I spoke to has said they accept adult nurses from the UK but perhaps would need to do a module in paeds. The only requirements on there website is that a nurse has medical and surgical training ,so no mental health nurse or midwife can apply. Found this quite interesting and thought I would share..... If anyone has any info on this please correct me as I'm not 100%
Well Silverdragon is an NS nurse so she will definitely be best placed to help you.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent, thank you!
Old Aug 20th 2015, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Silverdragon got her NS registration a while ago and since then it did change... the only trouble with NS is that on paper it is all very simple but it is not just peads but also midwifery. When I did my OSCE there in April one of the scenarios was to provide pre baby education for an expecting mother...then ultimately facilitate the delivery and then couple of post delivery appointments for mother and child. When the assessor asked me if this is something I would do normally I did say no as I am an adult nurse and what they asked me to do is a midwife/ health visitor role. To which I was told that they do cover midwifery in their curriculum...as expected final recommendation does require clinical hours for midwifery (80) and lecture hours...
Well Silverdragon is an NS nurse so she will definitely be best placed to help you.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 20th 2015 at 1:26 am. Reason: fixing the quote
Old Aug 20th 2015, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Thank you kasidorian, they really do make it sound simplier than it is.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I obtained my license through NS a few years ago but even then as it is now requirements was Adult, Paeds, Obstetrics and Mental Health. I was also required to do some top up and also offered assessment but as I had already started top up I declined assessment. Also at that time the government was offering to assist with paying courses unfortunately that is no longer on the books
Old Aug 20th 2015, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

sugarlips12 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello i am going through the NNAS process and its a nightmare!! they need information that is generally not provided by human resources in the UK such how many hours you have worked each year for the last 5 yrs! and even if you guess it, human resources are reluctant to sign it as they have no proof of what how many hours you did in another job role.
i have changed jobs alot in the last 5yrs so im having difficulties also human resources will send the NNAS forms back to you. but NNAS states it must come directly from the employer not you. but as its going overseas HR say NNAS must write to them as request the forms to be sent (but they wont). so your stuck! i think they have made it extremely difficult for international nurses to register.
on a brighter note if you have had the same nursing job for the last 5 yrs then you will probably have no problem.
also they require the original of your IELTS test scores ensure before booking you request a copy is sent to them. as you will need the copy you get for your visa application.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 5:27 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by sugarlips12
hello i am going through the NNAS process and its a nightmare!! they need information that is generally not provided by human resources in the UK such how many hours you have worked each year for the last 5 yrs! and even if you guess it, human resources are reluctant to sign it as they have no proof of what how many hours you did in another job role.
i have changed jobs alot in the last 5yrs so im having difficulties also human resources will send the NNAS forms back to you. but NNAS states it must come directly from the employer not you. but as its going overseas HR say NNAS must write to them as request the forms to be sent (but they wont). so your stuck! i think they have made it extremely difficult for international nurses to register.
on a brighter note if you have had the same nursing job for the last 5 yrs then you will probably have no problem.
also they require the original of your IELTS test scores ensure before booking you request a copy is sent to them. as you will need the copy you get for your visa application.
I have heard these reports on the Allnurses website but some folks don't like it pointing out that nursing isn't a bed of roses here. When did you apply out of interest? What province are you hoping to work in?
Old Aug 20th 2015, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

sugarlips12 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am hoping to work in Ontario i started my application earlier this year to be fair when i applied i didnt do my research into pitfalls etc finding out the hard way now!
yes i understand alot of nurses saying its not a bed of roses lol but show me nursing where it is lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.