Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
You could re apply with NNAS and see if they process your credentials any faster?. You could sit the PSW course and work casual shifts around your kids / family life?. You could do a online/home study course in a health related field?
Please remember that you are not walking in TiryTory's shoes. Reapply? Even if it were allowed, perhaps she can't afford the rather large fee particularly as a mum of 3 not working? Work casual shifts? Perhaps not feasible with a newborn and two other children that would need equally 'casual' childcare when there's no family support around and any childcare provider won't let you sign up for the occasional odd shift. Studying? Not allowed on her current visa actually. To try and tell her what to do with her life is rather patronising at best I'm afraid.

You may think that TiryTory is particularly pessimistic, but having been on the forum for 8 years I'd have to say she's no different to the vast majority of other nurses who have been on here and been equally frustrated with the thousands they've had to spend and months/years of waiting before being able to carry on with their chosen vocation.

There are a lot of nurses in Canada who have tried to help you out many times on the forum and yet you're dismissing all of their assistance for some reason. Which is your prerogative, but at least now you know that you may need to allow for your wife not being able to work for a year or two after arriving and spending a few thousand on courses.

As to everybody else, I would ask that if you don't like the way Roberto is responding to you that you please just use the ignore button rather than having fun at his expense, which really isn't on (or at least have fun via PM rather than mocking him on the open forum).

Thanks all.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:10 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Highlighting the text in bold is the only way I know how to focus on a specific part of the post. I do not know how to multi-quote so that's my reason for doing so.
Not intending to be 'patronising'.
This post is not having fun as you put it Christmas, it is a serious post in response to comments that he made which I certainly feel need to be shared on an open forum. Maybe I'm misinterpreting his comments- let us see what others have to say? You yourself suggest he is being "rather patronising at best." It seems that he asks the same questions looking for different answers to questions that have the same response. I personally stand by this paragraph to you and my subsequent one to Roberto1980. Why should we use the ignore button- this is an open forum- that doesn't make sense. Hmmm maybe it is late and I'm losing the will to live on this one.

Roberto1980
It had nothing to do with using bolder text, it was the content of what you said that I had highlighted that I had the issue with. I highlight the text all the time.you missed my point there.
I absolutely 100% stand by that post that you quote. I feel that your comments were and nasty and personal and unnecessary. You are asking the questions to these nurses, don't then spout forth to TiryTory telling her what she should do. It is a good indication of your arrogance as well as your ignorance. The other posters will I am sure reply in no uncertain terms. Listen to what everyone says, everyone's circumstances are different as they keep telling you. Processes have just changed and the answers are not out there yet.
Just listen but don't then spout forth vitriol and advice to people who don't need it. Tirytorys life is immensely complicated with the recent move with a sizeable young family, new baby, getting hubby into a suitable GP job. It isn't for you to tell her that she should move provinces. She would be in a similar boat if she moved here for example to BC. Clearly they are quite happy with where they are if you could be arsed to read her previous posts... Oh I forgot- you haven't got hours in your day have you?.
My advice to you would be to leave the questions to your wife, the actual nurse choosing to engage then the forum members would, I am sure be happy to help her. You just simply go round and round in meaningless and irritating circles. If I were you I would leave it up to her- she might understand it a bit better!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Aug 18th 2015 at 7:35 am. Reason: Christmasoompa posted whilst writing my post and needed a response
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Highlighting the text in bold is the only way I know how to focus on a specific part of the post. I do not know how to multi-quote so that's my reason for doing so.
Not intending to be 'patronising'.
Use the multi-quote button (second from right at the bottom of each post). Click it on each post you want to quote, then hit 'new reply'.

HTH.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Please remember that you are not walking in TiryTory's shoes. Reapply? Even if it were allowed, perhaps she can't afford the rather large fee particularly as a mum of 3 not working? Work casual shifts? Perhaps not feasible with a newborn and two other children that would need equally 'casual' childcare when there's no family support around and any childcare provider won't let you sign up for the occasional odd shift. Studying? Not allowed on her current visa actually. To try and tell her what to do with her life is rather patronising at best I'm afraid.

You may think that TiryTory is particularly pessimistic, but having been on the forum for 8 years I'd have to say she's no different to the vast majority of other nurses who have been on here and been equally frustrated with the thousands they've had to spend and months/years of waiting before being able to carry on with their chosen vocation.

There are a lot of nurses in Canada who have tried to help you out many times on the forum and yet you're dismissing all of their assistance for some reason. Which is your prerogative, but at least now you know that you may need to allow for your wife not being able to work for a year or two after arriving and spending a few thousand on courses.

As to everybody else, I would ask that if you don't like the way Roberto is responding to you that you please just use the ignore button rather than having fun at his expense, which really isn't on (or at least have fun via PM rather than mocking him on the open forum).

Thanks all.
Here we go. The 'playground clique' that is BE strikes again.
Dare you say something to 'one of the regular crowd' and you're jumped on.

Yes reapply. Withdraw her current application and reapply using NNAS. Not impossible.

My point with the 'life suggestions' is, if she (and others) really want to continue working, there are ways. Even if it is tick along by taking on a lesser grade.
I think it is clear it's more tirytory's current personal circumstances that prevent her from doing so, not solely the registration process. i.e. even if she was currently free to sit the exam and register as a RPN and be legal to work, could she? Is there even posts in her small town?

I feel / and my slight gripe is she should be a little more careful / sensitive when portraying the process to new posters/nurses looking for advice (the origins of this thread!) As I have (I hope ) made sense of, the process for a uk RN is basically = Apply to NNAS, WAIT... sit exam... Gain registration...Apply for job...Work. Simple enough really in theory.
No need for all the fearful obstacles. We all have our own to overcome.

"Try and tell her what to do with her life"? No. She previously started a thread 'work ideas' - MANY people gave her suggestions, opinions + options. I am merely agreeing and highlighting what others said in that thread. (I gave a full quote previously)

This forum is merely a discussion board full of 'personalities' and opinions, you may well feel I have been patronising, well I feel others on many occasions are capable of being condescending and negative. And I'm not the only one who feels that btw.

I came on here initially to get some simple answers to some straightforward questions, I got part answers and then was told "my patience is worn thin" as if I'm a 4 year old getting told off lol

When I asked a simple question about the RPN + PSW courses/cost/location etc.
I was told basically "I'm not telling you/do your own research" .. Not exactly the helpful, friendly attitude from positive ex-pats assisting others in the need of clarification of things.

Last edited by Roberto1980; Aug 18th 2015 at 10:15 am.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Use the multi-quote button (second from right at the bottom of each post). Click it on each post you want to quote, then hit 'new reply'.

HTH.
Oh, and that multi - quote thing doesn't work for me ? lol
Old Aug 18th 2015, 10:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh, and that multi - quote thing doesn't work for me ? lol
I've just used it with no problem.

I feel / and my slight gripe is she should be a little more careful / sensitive when portraying the process to new posters/nurses looking for advice (the origins of this thread!) As I have (I hope ) made sense of, the process for a uk RN is basically = Apply to NNAS, WAIT... sit exam... Gain registration...Apply for job...Work. Simple enough really in theory.
You've missed out all of the courses at a cost of thousands of dollars that many other nurses on the forum over the years have been forced to do. So maybe not quite as 'simple' as you think., or as you've been advised by many that have actually been through the process.

"Try and tell her what to do with her life"? No. She previously started a thread 'work ideas' - MANY people gave
That's not this thread, so has no relevance here.

You reap what you sow. You've been rude to a number of forum members on several occasions, so it's no surprise that they're not going to give you instant answers I'm afraid. Perhaps think about your posting style and how that will impact any advice you are looking for.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
This post is not having fun as you put it Christmas, it is a serious post in response to comments that he made which I certainly feel need to be shared on an open forum. Maybe I'm misinterpreting his comments- let us see what others have to say? You yourself suggest he is being "rather patronising at best." It seems that he asks the same questions looking for different answers to questions that have the same response. I personally stand by this paragraph to you and my subsequent one to Roberto1980. Why should we use the ignore button- this is an open forum- that doesn't make sense. Hmmm maybe it is late and I'm losing the will to live on this one
The ignore button is there for a reason. I'm simply suggesting that you use it as you seem to have an issue with Roberto's posts - so you can simply not see them, but that's your choice. If you don't want to ignore him then no probs.

As for the 'having fun' posts, post no 199 (among others) are a perfect example of that. It's not ok to gang together and make fun of another forum member on the open forum, even if you disagree with him. I'm simply asking nicely that you keep that to PM's please.

Let's get this thread back on track please peeps, take any disagreements or sniping at each other to PM. Merci!
Old Aug 18th 2015, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Tad condescending ?

Last edited by Roberto1980; Aug 18th 2015 at 11:38 am.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

You've missed out all of the courses at a cost of thousands of dollars that many other nurses on the forum over the years have been forced to do. So maybe not quite as 'simple' as you think., or as you've been advised by many that have actually been through the process.

Not if you are a uk nurse with a degree. Looking to be assessed and registered to work as a RPN... You won't be required to sit any further courses. (as per the helpful info I received a few posts ago) RN yes, further courses, RPN no..
So you are wrong there.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

That's not this thread, so has no relevance here.

You've been rude to a number of forum members on several occasions, so it's no surprise that they're not going to give you instant answers I'm afraid. Perhaps think about your posting style and how that will impact any advice you are looking for.

Is there a rule that threads can not go off topic? I distinctly remember someone saying to me in the past when I suggested we go back on topic that "the forum is like a conversation in a pub, Can't expect people not to discuss other things blah blah)

One rule for the 'clique' again eh
Old Aug 18th 2015, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

You've been rude to a number of forum members on several occasions..

I am honestly unaware of where I have been 'rude to a number of members'?

Please show me where / when this has happened?

I will happily apologise if there has been a direct insult to someone..
Old Aug 18th 2015, 11:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Tad condescending ?
I stated a fact, which is that the function's working just fine. Nothing condescending in that at all.

Not if you are a uk nurse with a degree. Looking to be assessed and registered to work as a RPN... You won't be required to sit any further courses. (as per the helpful info I received a few posts ago) RN yes, further courses, RPN no..
So you are wrong there.
You specifically said RN in your post ('the process for a UK RN is....'). Hence my response.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 18th 2015 at 11:52 am.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 11:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Is there a rule that threads can not go off topic? I distinctly remember someone saying to me in the past when I suggested we go back on topic that "the forum is like a conversation in a pub, Can't expect people not to discuss other things blah blah)

One rule for the 'clique' again eh
No, I've asked that this thread is got back on track, because the squabbling is of no use to anybody and frankly my patience is wearing thin. Other subjects are fine, arguing and insults are not.

I don't know why you're ignoring my request but last chance - either post on the subject only or leave this thread please.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

You specifically said RN in your post ('the process for a UK RN is....'). Hence my response.

I'm sorry. You have got it wrong.
A UK RN yes, but being assessed and registering to become a Canadian RPN.

Here's my post #162

"I was under the impression, and I'm glad I've finally made sense of some of the negativity, that working as a nurse, even if it not the full duties of a RN, IS possible.
Whether that is as a HCA, RPN or PSW."

Following on from that post, I have been subsequently asking abut RPN modules and then PSW courses.

Last edited by Roberto1980; Aug 18th 2015 at 12:15 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm sorry. You have got it wrong.
A UK RN yes, but being assessed and registering to become a Canadian RPN.

Here's my post #162

"I was under the impression, and I'm glad I've finally made sense of some of the negativity, that working as a nurse, even if it not the full duties of a RN, IS possible.
Whether that is as a HCA, RPN or PSW."

Following on from that post, I have been subsequently asking abut RPN modules and then PSW courses.
I've no idea why you're mentioning post no 162? I was specifically responding to post no 214 (hence why I quoted it).

In that, you stated "As I have (I hope ) made sense of, the process for a uk RN is basically = Apply to NNAS, WAIT... sit exam... Gain registration...Apply for job...Work. Simple enough really in theory."

This was the post I replied to, where you specifically said 'RN' and said it was 'simple enough'. If somebody quotes a post and then replies, it means it's a response to that particular post only.

Hope that clarifies it now?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 18th 2015 at 12:40 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 12:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
This was in 2011 - She obtained her BScN approximately two years prior to that. I guess it all depends on the area - she was in London, England and was particularly interested in working at the Great Ormond Street Hospital in Pediatric Oncology. Eventually came back to Canada and was immediately hired.
The timing is about the same but the daughter worked in a trauma unit in Toronto and then one in central London. She eventually moved on from there to the Central African Republic and now to Iraq. I hope she doesn't count London on her Aid to Wartorn Places resume.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.