Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Old Aug 17th 2015, 6:02 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
If he wants a better idea on RPN/LPN pay then there is usually a pay scale in the union collective agreement at the end as a amendment so all he needs to do if find out what Union/s cover the province and look for collective agreements. Also my understanding is jobs are getting difficult for Canadians never mind a IEN plus all this seniority malarkey means most if not all start casual and then look for jobs part time then full time.

I was lucky as it appears NS is like other provinces and getting harder and harder to get registered especially when it is known in a few years we are going to have a nurses crisis
I genuinely can't foresee a time where I will be anything more than a casual worker. I want and need with childcare to have more than two weeks annual leave a year (even initially) at least until my youngest is years older, and I just know that seniority thing is going to drive me crazy! Still I have a lot of years left to work so I suspect I will get there in the end- perhaps at the end of my working life
Old Aug 17th 2015, 6:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
Canadian nurses face the same challenges when they move to the UK. A friend of ours gave up after two years of trying to become certified.
She was a paediatric oncology nurse in Canada - no matter what she did there was always one more requirement. The stress endured ended up causing the breakup of her relationship.
I suspect that depends on when the Canadian nurse was trained. My daughter took the same sort of nursing job in the UK as she'd had in Canada and only needed the IELTS test.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory

I'm saying that for instance if Joe Bloggs with a right to work and reside in Ontario upped and decided to be a nurse one day with no previous experience (Registered Practical Nurse rather than an Registered Nurse) then it would be a two year course for them to complete self funded and then pass two exams.

What I was saying is that my three year Diploma and experience should be ample enough for the CNO to put me forward to just sit the exam without any further study given that I was working at a higher level (RN) in the UK.

The problems have mostly arisen from UK RN's going for RN status in Canada and the difference in education. An RN in Canada takes a 4year degree course so UK nurses education is not considered equal to the Canadians.

As for a PSW I would have to pay to take a course that is for an unqualified job in the UK and would mean with three children that I would pay out more in childcare than I earn and gas as Caleo has pointed out in a few posts already.

Do you understand what the various nursing positions are and what they mean compared to the UK? Maybe your wife should be posting since she would invariably have a better grasp of it all. You know that the Registered Practical Nurse is NOT the equivalent of a UK staff nurse and therefore does not earn as much as the Registered Nurse here?

I just did a brief search of PSW jobs in Ontario, and some of them require 3 certificates and a year of experience for $12 an hour. Essentially at today's exchange rate you will earn less than the UK minimum wage of £6.50...
Why mention what someone would have to do if starting from scratch? That's confusing matters a little.
We are discussing UK trained nurses (with qualifications and experience) and what their transferrable requirements are, and what they will be required to do to work..

And yes although my wife is the nurse, I surprisingly do understand what the various positions are and their equivalency. Ive took a bit of an interest as it's important for my family.. I'm just trying to establish answers to some fairly straightforward questions.. I would have thought someone who has been living in Canada and out of work / waiting for 14 months or whatever then you would know.

You say you expect to by-pass any further modules, and sit the exam.
Can you tell me if you will then be 100% eligible to work as an RPN? No further complications or hoops to jump?

You said above you would have to pay to do a course to become a PSW (as badly paid the role may be)..
How much does that course cost?
What is the specific course called?
Do all colleges in Ontario run the courses?
Are they full / part time?

Look, I'm not deliberately trying to pester you, I suppose we are in agreement that nursing in Ontario is difficult. But I like to simplify things.

I have so far established (albeit not officially) that my wife with 7 years experience with a degree should NOT be required to sit further modules in order to sit the NCLEX become registered as a RPN.
All good.

Last edited by Roberto1980; Aug 17th 2015 at 8:10 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980

You said above you would have to pay to do a course to become a PSW (as badly paid the role may be)..
This may give you a starting point in regards PSW Personal Support Worker (PSW) Program (C112)-2015-2016
Old Aug 17th 2015, 8:27 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Why mention what someone would have to do if starting from scratch? That's confusing matters a little.
We are discussing UK trained nurses (with qualifications and experience) and what their transferrable requirements are, and what they will be required to do to work..

And yes although my wife is the nurse, I surprisingly do understand what the various positions are and their equivalency. Ive took a bit of an interest as it's important for my family.. I'm just trying to establish answers to some fairly straightforward questions.. I would have thought someone who has been living in Canada and out of work / waiting for 14 months or whatever then you would know.

You say you expect to by-pass any further modules, and sit the exam.
Can you tell me if you will then be 100% eligible to work as an RPN? No further complications or hoops to jump?

Look, I'm not deliberately trying to pester you, I suppose we are in agreement that nursing in Ontario is difficult. But I like to simplify things.

I have so far established (albeit not officially) that my wife with 7 years experience with a degree should NOT be required to sit further modules in order to sit the NCLEX become registered as a RPN.
All good.

Since the CNO has not finished my assessment I would have thought it was apparent that No, I do not with 100% certainty that I will be able to sit the exam. When they have finished assessing me, I hope or fully expect that it will just be the RPN exam and the Jurisprudence exam that I need to pass to work at RPN level.

The RPN exam is not the NCLEX- this is just the exam for Registered Nurses NOT RPN.

My patience has worn very thin. All questions have been answered numerous times on numerous threads if you actually understood the process well enough which you clearly don't or read any of the posts thoroughly. I suggest that you thoroughly re read this thread plus the CNO IMG section extensively and NNAS too, given that NNAS is just the first part and your wife will then need to apply to the CNO. Any information I have has come from reading these sections as well as other nurses experiences on here all of which is readily available to you.

Lastly I have no wish to be a PSW, and the length of time I have been here makes no difference to that. I suggest you do your own research regarding PSW courses, cost and availability. Why anyone would give up a Staff Nurse position to become a PSW in another country even if just temporarily I have no idea, but that's your concern.

Last edited by Tirytory; Aug 17th 2015 at 8:36 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 8:59 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking from a slightly different perspective but am in close working relationship with RNs, RPN (LPNs here) and PSWs- UK equivalent HCAs, why would you do the latter.? If LPN/RPN is a stepping stone to being an RN again then that doesn't seem a bad plan. I have followed this thread and feel that TiryTory has explained herself clearly enough- what exactly don't you get Roberto? She is one of the best people to try and help prospective nurses come over along with Caleo, Silverdragon and others but when you pop up in the threads you seem to antagonise.. I'm not sure why.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Aug 17th 2015 at 9:07 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

And this is precisely why I did give up...but it works in a bigger picture
QUOTE=Tirytory;11726096]Since the CNO has not finished my assessment I would have thought it was apparent that No, I do not with 100% certainty that I will be able to sit the exam. When they have finished assessing me, I hope or fully expect that it will just be the RPN exam and the Jurisprudence exam that I need to pass to work at RPN level.

The RPN exam is not the NCLEX- this is just the exam for Registered Nurses NOT RPN.

My patience has worn very thin. All questions have been answered numerous times on numerous threads if you actually understood the process well enough which you clearly don't or read any of the posts thoroughly. I suggest that you thoroughly re read this thread plus the CNO IMG section extensively and NNAS too, given that NNAS is just the first part and your wife will then need to apply to the CNO. Any information I have has come from reading these sections as well as other nurses experiences on here all of which is readily available to you.

Lastly I have no wish to be a PSW, and the length of time I have been here makes no difference to that. I suggest you do your own research regarding PSW courses, cost and availability. Why anyone would give up a Staff Nurse position to become a PSW in another country even if just temporarily I have no idea, but that's your concern.[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Since the CNO has not finished my assessment I would have thought it was apparent that No, I do not with 100% certainty that I will be able to sit the exam. When they have finished assessing me, I hope or fully expect that it will just be the RPN exam and the Jurisprudence exam that I need to pass to work at RPN level.

Lastly I have no wish to be a PSW, and the length of time I have been here makes no difference to that.

I suggest you do your own research regarding PSW courses, cost and availability. Why anyone would give up a Staff Nurse position to become a PSW in another country even if just temporarily I have no idea, but that's your concern.
Patience worn thin? ... Bit touchy for some reason is it not?...lol If you cant / don't want to answer my simple questions then fair enough.

Unfortunately (or fortunately whichever way you want to look at it) I don't actually have the luxury of having ample amounts of time to sit on a computer and digest every thread on this forum. Maybe I should take a 14 month career break and I could catch up in the merry-go-round that is 'nursing in Ontario'....

The facts are, I have not found the answer(s) / official clarification I was looking for. And its obvious no one on here knows. Re-reading this thread will do nothing to change that.
I fully understand all cases are different. But the lack of uk trained nurses now working as RPN's is concerning. But, maybe there are hundreds and they are out working and getting on with their new lives in Canada and not on an internet forum.

Why would anyone want to work as a PSW? Eh, to get out the house.. to keep some element of workplace skills up.. Enhance the CV...To bring in some sort of wage.. To give their new country a go and fight the impending pessimism...

Good luck in your own registration pursuit.
Lets hope your diploma education and skills are recognised and you don't have to give up your career..
Lets hope you get back to work asap and you wont have to put up with having to sit on this forum as much, inconveniently answering uninformed questions from people like me...

Now. Google......PSW Ontario... [ENTER]

Last edited by Roberto1980; Aug 17th 2015 at 9:31 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I had posted this earlier but can't see it so here's a repeat performance, if this info is any use.

A friend, UK degree, sat the OSCEs and passed all, no further training needed. Sat and passed the NCLEX with the minimum number of questions.
She's now working as an RN in the place she was working as a PSW, contacts are everything when looking for jobs here.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Speaking from a slightly different perspective but am in close working relationship with RNs, RPN (LPNs here) and PSWs- UK equivalent HCAs, why would you do the latter.? If LPN/RPN is a stepping stone to being an RN again then that doesn't seem a bad plan. I have followed this thread and feel that TiryTory has explained herself clearly enough- what exactly don't you get Roberto? She is one of the best people to try and help prospective nurses come over along with Caleo, Silverdragon and others but when you pop up in the threads you seem to antagonise.. I'm not sure why.

Ok here's a question.

If a uk nurse is to be assessed by NNAS, and deemed not required further training to register as RPN. And after sitting and passing the 'exam'..

- It is then all systems go to apply for RPN posts?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats
I thought I had posted this earlier but can't see it so here's a repeat performance, if this info is any use.

A friend, UK degree, sat the OSCEs and passed all, no further training needed. Sat and passed the NCLEX with the minimum number of questions.
She's now working as an RN in the place she was working as a PSW, contacts are everything when looking for jobs here.

Thanks. I'll pass this info on to my wife. It's getting too much for me to take in now
Old Aug 17th 2015, 10:25 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Patience worn thin? ... Bit touchy for some reason is it not?...lol If you cant / don't want to answer my simple questions then fair enough.

Unfortunately (or fortunately whichever way you want to look at it) I don't actually have the luxury of having ample amounts of time to sit on a computer and digest every thread on this forum. Maybe I should take a 14 month career break and I could catch up in the merry-go-round that is 'nursing in Ontario'....

The facts are, I have not found the answer(s) / official clarification I was looking for. And its obvious no one on here knows. Re-reading this thread will do nothing to change that.
I fully understand all cases are different. But the lack of uk trained nurses now working as RPN's is concerning. But, maybe there are hundreds and they are out working and getting on with their new lives in Canada and not on an internet forum.

Why would anyone want to work as a PSW? Eh, to get out the house.. to keep some element of workplace skills up.. Enhance the CV...To bring in some sort of wage.. To give their new country a go and fight the impending pessimism...

Good luck in your own registration pursuit.
Lets hope your diploma education and skills are recognised and you don't have to give up your career..
Lets hope you get back to work asap and you wont have to put up with having to sit on this forum as much, inconveniently answering uninformed questions from people like me...

Now. Google......PSW Ontario... [ENTER]
Your tone particularly in the bolded text leaves a lot to be desired and is both patronising and unnecessary. I have to say that if I was one of the helpful nurses on this forum, I would simply ignore your posts- just my humble opinion.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 10:26 pm
I need a walk

Ok here's a question.

If a uk nurse is to be assessed by NNAS, and deemed not required further training to register as RPN. And after sitting and passing the 'exam'..

- It is then all systems go to apply for RPN posts?

Don't start on me, I probably know even less about the subject than you do, and that is saying something!!!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Aug 17th 2015 at 11:24 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suspect that depends on when the Canadian nurse was trained. My daughter took the same sort of nursing job in the UK as she'd had in Canada and only needed the IELTS test.
This was in 2011 - She obtained her BScN approximately two years prior to that. I guess it all depends on the area - she was in London, England and was particularly interested in working at the Great Ormond Street Hospital in Pediatric Oncology. Eventually came back to Canada and was immediately hired.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

[ENTER]
PSW will not really enhance CV/resume except to say you know how to do basic patient/client care. Only other skill it may keep going and that is if the workplace allows PSW to do it is vitals, blood glucose monitoring. RN's and LPN's are expected to do a lot more but if not working in that capacity then the skills will not be maintained

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.