Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Old Aug 17th 2015, 1:41 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
So it's basically just a time thing then for you and any other nurses (my wife included)? Even if it is 12+ months processing..
And to confirm you are getting processed through the 'old system' and not NNAS is that correct?

I was under the impression, and I'm glad I've finally made sense of some of the negativity, that working as a nurse, even if it not the full duties of a RN, IS possible.
Whether that is as a HCA, RPN or PSW..

Can someone confirm that after being assessed by NNAS, and being deemed NOT required to sit further modules/training, and waiting to sit exam, (is that called NCLEX?) you CAN work on a temporary registration in ontario?

Ta
I am processing (present tense) through CNO not NNAS- they came into place last year and I haven't heard anybody of who has come out the other side so to speak...

HCA is a UK term for PSW - Personal Support Worker. It's not a given that a IEN would be able to work as a PSW as they have their own certification and course and it depends on the employer whether they would accept a lack of the "right" certificate.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I am processing (present tense) through CNO not NNAS- they came into place last year and I haven't heard anybody of who has come out the other side so to speak...

HCA is a UK term for PSW - Personal Support Worker. It's not a given that a IEN would be able to work as a PSW as they have their own certification and course and it depends on the employer whether they would accept a lack of the "right" certificate.
Ok. So you are going through CNO. Let's hope nnas are more efficient. My wife has been relatively pleased with their efficiency when responding to any queries so far. But the timescale I can live with. As long as I know there's a simple enough route to actually working!

My questions previously still stand though.

It was mentioned earlier by 'kasiadoran' that nurses uk qualifications were usually ok for a LPN. If that's the case then great.

But if NOT. (As no one seems certain about anything?...)

- where are the extra modules located in ontario?
- are they ALL college based ?
- what's the duration?
- what's the cost?
- is there any grants/funding available?

Since you've been living there/waiting for 14months or so tirytory, any idea ? You mentioned a course for PSW?

Last edited by Roberto1980; Aug 17th 2015 at 6:01 am.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

I did send paper work for assessment to try and see if I will be eligible to obtain registration without any extra assessments etc...i got an answer pretty quick and it was a positive one...this was for the province of nova scotia, however the salary was a lot less than RN which would not work for my family, the idea was to be mortgage free and just comfortable...with the wage cut it just wouldn't work...we would have been in the same boat.. then the job prospects for LPN...in nova scotia it was mainly nursing homes...i work with blood cancers...i do chemo...complicated iv's my work my cancer nursing is very important to me...i guess I could perhaps take a step back for few months if someone could guarantee it will only take few months but there is no guarantees...i don't want to compromise my capabilities and skills...but people do that and they are happy with their choices...and eventually they do get RN registration so i guess as long as you are aware it will be long and rocky road...well at least you are well prepared
Just one more thing...so I was deemed to be eligible to sit an exam for LPN and at the same time I was told I can apply for temporary registration whilst I am waiting for the exam...again it was Nova Scotia so it might be different in Ontario or BC...
Full RN registration which i did apply for and went over fir 5 days assessment: modules it all depends majority is online based nut if you need to do skills, medication or placement hours then it needs to be in canada within the college that you applied to...i qualified in uk about two years ago so relatively new curriculum and I was missing on maternity hours as in uk we do not do maternity care...that's midwifery over there it appears basic midwifery is thought to nurses...and then few online modules mainly legal and professional aspects of Canadian nursing

Last edited by kasiadoran; Aug 17th 2015 at 6:49 am.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

hitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant future
Exclamation Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Hey all!

I moved to BC from the UK in 2013. I trained as an adult nurse (BSc). I graduated and went straight into ICU. I applied under the old system, so I can't judge or comment on what is currently happening. I applied to the CRNBC. I had an OSCE - I did not have to do any upgrading, nor to 'make up' hours. I was exceptionally lucky - only met one other person who has managed this feat!

For all those potential RN's I would recommend that whilst waiting, start studying for the NCLEX. I cannot stress this enough. Do NOT take this exam for granted.

Although you may think the big hurdle is getting 'registered' with your specific province - Unfortunately, that is the beginning of the journey to becoming a RN. You will not be able to qualify for full practising registration if you do not pass the NCLEX (you have three attempts).

Dedicate many, many, many hours (sweat, blood and tears included) to study for that exam whilst waiting - that is the best advice I can give to all potentials!

Being a nurse (and studying nursing) is something to be proud of - remember this whilst you are going through all this! Feel free to PM me or reply back if you'd like any advice or tips for the NCLEX!
Old Aug 17th 2015, 3:08 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. So you are going through CNO. Let's hope nnas are more efficient. My wife has been relatively pleased with their efficiency when responding to any queries so far. But the timescale I can live with. As long as I know there's a simple enough route to actually working!

My questions previously still stand though.

It was mentioned earlier by 'kasiadoran' that nurses uk qualifications were usually ok for a LPN. If that's the case then great.

But if NOT. (As no one seems certain about anything?...)

- where are the extra modules located in ontario?
- are they ALL college based ?
- what's the duration?
- what's the cost?
- is there any grants/funding available?

Since you've been living there/waiting for 14months or so tirytory, any idea ? You mentioned a course for PSW?
Well everyone is judged case by case so no one is going to give you the answer you want. No I haven't looked into extra modules as the RPN course in Ontario is a two year course (as previously discussed extensively) and I have done a three year Diploma plus working as an RN in my home country for 13 years so if i didn't qualify to sit the RPN exam I would literally give up in disgust I think! No I haven't looked into PSW courses- I noticed one advertised the other day on the radio but that's it. Google around the areas you're contemplating moving to. From what I can gather all secondary education is individually funded. Not like the UK nursing bursaries. People diss working for the NHS but in comparison to here there are many advantages. For instance I was talking to a surgeon yesterday about the local OR shut down that happens several times a year due to lack of money and the nurses just don't get paid and have to take the time off. I can't imagine that happening to UK nurses..
Old Aug 17th 2015, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Well everyone is judged case by case so no one is going to give you the answer you want. No I haven't looked into extra modules as the RPN course in Ontario is a two year course (as previously discussed extensively) and I have done a three year Diploma plus working as an RN in my home country for 13 years so if i didn't qualify to sit the RPN exam I would literally give up in disgust I think! No I haven't looked into PSW courses- I noticed one advertised the other day on the radio but that's it. Google around the areas you're contemplating moving to. From what I can gather all secondary education is individually funded. Not like the UK nursing bursaries. People diss working for the NHS but in comparison to here there are many advantages. For instance I was talking to a surgeon yesterday about the local OR shut down that happens several times a year due to lack of money and the nurses just don't get paid and have to take the time off. I can't imagine that happening to UK nurses..

I'm a bit confused. don't be offended it doesn't take much lol

So you are applying for registration as a RPN, but are hoping / expecting that you do NOT have to do any further modules?

Has that been the experience for the majority of uk nurses on here without the degree?

If so, great. (for my wife's situation also)

You say everyone is judged on a case by case basis. Then how can you be sure you would have to do a 2 year RPN course to gain required modules?

Have you not even had a sneaky peak to see how much the RPN modules cost? (just incase)

And are you not itching to at least tick along by working as a PSW in the meantime? Is that not an option? Is that PSW course a standard / recognized curriculum / qualification throughout colleges in Ontario?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

RPN/LPN training in Canada is 2 years. I know of a couple of RN's that didn't make requirements as a RN but did manage as RPN/LPN and passed the CPNE. PSW or CCA as known in NS work more in the community and LTC to working in hospitals. Pay isn't that much. As a RN in NS with over 20 years experience I certainly make more than I did in the UK
Old Aug 17th 2015, 5:04 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

I'm a bit confused. don't be offended it doesn't take much lol

So you are applying for registration as a RPN, but are hoping / expecting that you do NOT have to do any further modules?

Has that been the experience for the majority of uk nurses on here without the degree?

If so, great. (for my wife's situation also)

You say everyone is judged on a case by case basis. Then how can you be sure you would have to do a 2 year RPN course to gain required modules?

Have you not even had a sneaky peak to see how much the RPN modules cost? (just incase)

And are you not itching to at least tick along by working as a PSW in the meantime? Is that not an option? Is that PSW course a standard / recognized curriculum / qualification throughout colleges in Ontario?
You're confusing me now! I'm saying that for instance if Joe Bloggs with a right to work and reside in Ontario upped and decided to be a nurse one day with no previous experience (Registered Practical Nurse rather than an Registered Nurse) then it would be a two year course for them to complete self funded and then pass two exams. What I was saying is that my three year Diploma and experience should be ample enough for the CNO to put me forward to just sit the exam without any further study given that I was working at a higher level (RN) in the UK. The problems have mostly arisen from UK RN's going for RN status in Canada and the difference in education. An RN in Canada takes a 4year degree course so UK nurses education is not considered equal to the Canadians.

As for a PSW I would have to pay to take a course that is for an unqualified job in the UK and would mean with three children that I would pay out more in childcare than I earn and gas as Caleo has pointed out in a few posts already.

Do you understand what the various nursing positions are and what they mean compared to the UK? Maybe your wife should be posting since she would invariably have a better grasp of it all. You know that the Registered Practical Nurse is NOT the equivalent of a UK staff nurse and therefore does not earn as much as the Registered Nurse here?

I just did a brief search of PSW jobs in Ontario, and some of them require 3 certificates and a year of experience for $12 an hour. Essentially at today's exchange rate you will earn less than the UK minimum wage of £6.50...

Last edited by Tirytory; Aug 17th 2015 at 5:19 pm. Reason: Edited to add...
Old Aug 17th 2015, 5:08 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
RPN/LPN training in Canada is 2 years. I know of a couple of RN's that didn't make requirements as a RN but did manage as RPN/LPN and passed the CPNE. PSW or CCA as known in NS work more in the community and LTC to working in hospitals. Pay isn't that much. As a RN in NS with over 20 years experience I certainly make more than I did in the UK
I think we are nurses talking to a husband of a nurse who doesn't really grasp the various acronyms within one province let alone another province...

And you're pay is better because you are an RN whereas I'm/he is talking about RPN or even a PSW role to tide them over. Good for you btw to get there. Maybe one day for me in about 6yrs time
Old Aug 17th 2015, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian nurses face the same challenges when they move to the UK. A friend of ours gave up after two years of trying to become certified.
She was a paediatric oncology nurse in Canada - no matter what she did there was always one more requirement. The stress endured ended up causing the breakup of her relationship.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 5:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
Good point! Perhaps I need to look into this route some more, however it's only NOC - B so would def need a job offer. I've already been emailing lots of places. Fingers crossed
Just (belatedly) picking up on this. Most people require a job offer to get a visa, and Skill Level B is still 'skilled' so shouldn't make any difference to that? Which visa route are you looking at?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 5:29 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
Canadian nurses face the same challenges when they move to the UK. A friend of ours gave up after two years of trying to become certified.
She was a paediatric oncology nurse in Canada - no matter what she did there was always one more requirement. The stress endured ended up causing the breakup of her relationship.
Oh I'm sure! Although ironically I was just googling RPN positions and the first ad up was for come work in Ireland and the UK

I knew in coming here I was giving up what I had and settling for less from a nursing career perspective. It was the trade off for gains made in other areas. The above poster Kasiadoran made excellent points about not giving up what she'd worked for and I feel very similarly to her but I was in a different position with hubbie's job taking precedent.

Last edited by Tirytory; Aug 17th 2015 at 5:38 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 5:33 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just (belatedly) picking up on this. Most people require a job offer to get a visa, and Skill Level B is still 'skilled' so shouldn't make any difference to that? Which visa route are you looking at?
I didn't score enough points when I tried the wizard out to get near an ITA at this point (on my own merits) and how can you get a job offer if you don't have full registration to work? It appears to me at least that you need to be able to work in Canada as a nurse before you can apply for PR? Unless I'm wrong somewhere?

And actually thinking about it- registration with the College of Ontario requires you to have the right to work in Ontario (twp or PR) it seems to be a catch 22 situation.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't score enough points when I tried the wizard out to get near an ITA at this point (on my own merits) and how can you get a job offer if you don't have full registration to work? It appears to me at least that you need to be able to work in Canada as a nurse before you can apply for PR? Unless I'm wrong somewhere?
No, you're not - as I said above most won't be able to apply for PR without a job offer (LMIA/PNP), and whether the job is Skill Level O, A PR B shouldn't make any difference to that, hence my query to KerryCullen1987.

Of course some will score above the magic 450 without a job offer and stand a chance of being selected from the pool, perhaps if they're young/speak French/have a spouse with a masters/PhD.

But most people won't score enough unless they're in Canada working or have a PNP nomination.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are nurses talking to a husband of a nurse who doesn't really grasp the various acronyms within one province let alone another province...

And you're pay is better because you are an RN whereas I'm/he is talking about RPN or even a PSW role to tide them over. Good for you btw to get there. Maybe one day for me in about 6yrs time
If he wants a better idea on RPN/LPN pay then there is usually a pay scale in the union collective agreement at the end as a amendment so all he needs to do if find out what Union/s cover the province and look for collective agreements. Also my understanding is jobs are getting difficult for Canadians never mind a IEN plus all this seniority malarkey means most if not all start casual and then look for jobs part time then full time.

I was lucky as it appears NS is like other provinces and getting harder and harder to get registered especially when it is known in a few years we are going to have a nurses crisis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.