Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Old Aug 16th 2015, 5:01 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
Good point! Perhaps I need to look into this route some more, however it's only NOC - B so would def need a job offer. I've already been emailing lots of places. Fingers crossed
I think I will do the bridging from RPN to RN course rather than all the hassle of OSCE's, modules and NCLEX. There is also the issue that if you work as an RPN by the time you complete all the above, you will have not done enough recent RN practice hours and RPN hours don't count I think. A friend of Caleo's is facing this issue now. Not sure if/how it's being resolved?

Caleo????
Old Aug 16th 2015, 5:06 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think that's because you have started the process over there? Is there a reason why your not doing RN over there now?
I'm not sure I understand? Doing RN over there now?

When I looked at criteria, I felt it was pretty clear I wouldn't meet RN requirements without all the extra modules etc, so I felt for me it was better to go for RPN and go from there. Given how long it's taken for me so far to get exactly nowhere I half wished I'd gone for the RN now, but I looked at NNAS recently and it did reinforce why I made the initial decision. I am only Diploma trained though although have been nursing for 13 years.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I'm not sure I understand? Doing RN over there now?

When I looked at criteria, I felt it was pretty clear I wouldn't meet RN requirements without all the extra modules etc, so I felt for me it was better to go for RPN and go from there. Given how long it's taken for me so far to get exactly nowhere I half wished I'd gone for the RN now, but I looked at NNAS recently and it did reinforce why I made the initial decision. I am only Diploma trained though although have been nursing for 13 years.
That makes sense. I think it is more difficult because of the diploma vs BsC. It shouldn't but that's how they seem to operate over there. The lady from CARNA has said it will give me an advantage having the BsC. Are you allowed to work over there whilst waiting for your RPN cert, if so what kind of visa are you on?
Old Aug 16th 2015, 5:14 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

That makes sense. I think it is more difficult because of the diploma vs BsC. It shouldn't but that's how they seem to operate over there. The lady from CARNA has said it will give me an advantage having the BsC. Are you allowed to work over there whilst waiting for your RPN cert, if so what kind of visa are you on?
You can within a year of recent practice if they have assessed you and you are just waiting to sit the exam.. They didn't assess me in time for me to do that- that would have been last December. I'm here on the back of husbands temp work permit and we have just received COPR..
Old Aug 16th 2015, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

You can within a year of recent practice if they have assessed you and you are just waiting to sit the exam.. They didn't assess me in time for me to do that- that would have been last December. I'm here on the back of husbands temp work permit and we have just received COPR..
Oh wow. It's my mission to get out there!!! What's the cost of living like in comparison to the UK?
Old Aug 16th 2015, 5:55 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Oh wow. It's my mission to get out there!!! What's the cost of living like in comparison to the UK?
Personally I find it more expensive here. Food certainly is, everything else seems on par. Gas is cheaper obviously but we spend about the same because I travel further than I did in the UK. Internet more expensive for lower speeds and usage. There are also other costs which we didn't have in the UK, snow clearance, snow tyres and swapping them over and storage etc, even just snow boots and coats and pants for the kids every year. We also have 4x4's here whereas back home my husband pootled around in a Fiesta. It all adds up.

Have you done the Elgibility test for visa points btw? I tried based on a nursing information and would 't have scored enough points without a job offer to get an ITA?
Old Aug 16th 2015, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Personally I find it more expensive here. Food certainly is, everything else seems on par. Gas is cheaper obviously but we spend about the same because I travel further than I did in the UK. Internet more expensive for lower speeds and usage. There are also other costs which we didn't have in the UK, snow clearance, snow tyres and swapping them over and storage etc, even just snow boots and coats and pants for the kids every year. We also have 4x4's here whereas back home my husband pootled around in a Fiesta. It all adds up.

Have you done the Elgibility test for visa points btw? I tried based on a nursing information and would 't have scored enough points without a job offer to get an ITA?
Yeah have done that. Won't have enough points unless I get a job offer; my husband is a plumber and it's the same for him. Which is a very difficult decision in itself because I have to first go through the NNAS process then all the modules etc before getting a nursing license then I have to find a job! If I don't get one I can't go! I've no idea where to start with that to be honest?!
Old Aug 16th 2015, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

It's handy to know about all of these extra costs because it's something you don't necessarily take into consideration especially when you are moving for a better quality of life
Old Aug 16th 2015, 6:11 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

It's handy to know about all of these extra costs because it's something you don't necessarily take into consideration especially when you are moving for a better quality of life
If you search my previous threads, I started one on cost of living to which a lot of expats here answered- should help! Mm I think the nursing registration problem has left immigration a problem too as in the old system nurses were on the FSW shortage list.. It doesn't work that way anymore.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

If you search my previous threads, I started one on cost of living to which a lot of expats here answered- should help! Mm I think the nursing registration problem has left immigration a problem too as in the old system nurses were on the FSW shortage list.. It doesn't work that way anymore.
Thank you I will look at that.
In the mean time I will continue to message every health provider in AB and BC lol
Old Aug 16th 2015, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

I am/I have ... 14 months in and still waiting to be put forward for the RPN exam (called LPN in other provinces). It's not about taking a step back, it's about not being able to work to the capacity that you are trained for in the UK, but regardless of this I did opt for the RPN route thinking it would be quicker and I could get started. Sadly for me this is not the case.
So it's basically just a time thing then for you and any other nurses (my wife included)? Even if it is 12+ months processing..
And to confirm you are getting processed through the 'old system' and not NNAS is that correct?

I was under the impression, and I'm glad I've finally made sense of some of the negativity, that working as a nurse, even if it not the full duties of a RN, IS possible.
Whether that is as a HCA, RPN or PSW..

Can someone confirm that after being assessed by NNAS, and being deemed NOT required to sit further modules/training, and waiting to sit exam, (is that called NCLEX?) you CAN work on a temporary registration in ontario?

Ta

Last edited by Roberto1980; Aug 16th 2015 at 7:47 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
So it's basically just a time thing then for you and any other nurses (my wife included)? Even if it is 12+ months processing..
And to confirm you are getting processed through the 'old system' and not NNAS is that correct?

I was under the impression, and I'm glad I've finally made sense of some of the negativity, that working as a nurse, even if it not the full duties of a RN, IS possible.
Whether that is as a HCA, RPN or PSW..

Can someone confirm that after being assessed by NNAS, and being deemed NOT required to sit further modules/training, and waiting to sit exam, (is that called NCLEX?) you CAN work on a temporary registration in ontario?

Ta
If you read CNo site, yes you can get temp licence while waiting to sit NCLEX - whether you can find a job with a temp licence would be more of the issue, and that you would not know until you applied for jobs with the temp licence. The NCLEX exam is far more accessible than the old exam. Check Pearson Vue for exam locations - somewhere on their site there is info regarding how often exams take place. Toronto and other larger cities the exams are regular, whereas some other places still only 3 or 4 times a year. Once you have the go ahead to sit the NCLEX, it takes a few weeks to book a date for NCLEX and is not a long wait.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone confirm then, that a uk trained nurse with a degree, will more than likely NOT be required to sit further training/modules when applying to register as a RPN? (In ontario)

And in the unlikely event of being asked to sit further training,
- are these courses college based?
- how much do they cost?
- how long in duration?
Old Aug 16th 2015, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

I think I will do the bridging from RPN to RN course rather than all the hassle of OSCE's, modules and NCLEX. There is also the issue that if you work as an RPN by the time you complete all the above, you will have not done enough recent RN practice hours and RPN hours don't count I think. A friend of Caleo's is facing this issue now. Not sure if/how it's being resolved?

Caleo????
Still waiting to hear the outcome of the practice hours - it all seems a bit of a grey area and once again something that has not been planned properly by CNO. Nurses in Ontario are still trying to find courses which will be appropriate for CNO to see that they have met the criteria.

One of the main problems with immigration as a nurse now, is that there is not a huge shortage of nurses, so unless you have extremely specific skills that may be required by a specific employer, it is going to be tough. There are sufficient Canadian nurses and nurses with their visas and registration.

Themproblem with nursing here is that they have had an influx of nurses from many different countries. Nurse training and skills and knowledge required is very different in some countries and the BSc nurses from some countries is deemed to be not equivalent to a BSC in Canada. Unfortunately British trained nurses have fallen into the same pot and classed as an IEN and have to go through the same rigorous assessments.

There have been many posts on here about nursing, especially in Ontario as there are several of us all in a similar place. We have written reems of info for people.

It seems that ALL nurses who applied through CNO for RN have been sent for OSCE. OSCE in ontario is one day - multi choice exam and also 12 OSCE scenarios. It is different in each province so mak sure you know what assessments you will have for each province.

To work as a PSW/HCA in a hospital or LTC in Ontario you will require a certificate. You can work as a community support worker which is a zero hour contract and you do not get paid mileage - I never earned enough after childcare and mileage to actually come out with a positive income. A PSW friend currently works every other weekend and 3-4 days in the week and rarely takes home more than $600 every two weeks after deductions. Then she has to take her petrol and fuel expenses off that.

Many of the jobs advertised for PSW, RPN and RN are casual or part time jobs. Many RPNs working in LTC regularly work 2 jobs - meaning working almost every weekend. There are no medical benefits either when you work part time or casual.

RPN jobs in the community where I am are around $24 and in hospital $28-$29. RN jobs in community around $25-$27 and $$32 in hospital.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
Can someone confirm then, that a uk trained nurse with a degree, will more than likely NOT be required to sit further training/modules when applying to register as a RPN? (In ontario)

And in the unlikely event of being asked to sit further training,
- are these courses college based?
- how much do they cost?
- how long in duration?
I am RPN - didn't need further training - BUT I am old school training prior to project 2000 - so did paeds, maternity, psychiatry and midwifery and have a top up BSc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.