Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Old Aug 16th 2015, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Originally Posted by mjsmith83
Has anyone been successful with their application? Can you please share your story.

I've made a few inquiries to Alberta (CARNA) a really lovely lady gave me some great info: she also said it may be possible if you need just maternity/paeds to get a restricted/temporary license while you do the courses. Some modules are online so can be done from home. I think it sounds like a long hard road but if you willing to start from the bottom it can be achieved
Old Aug 16th 2015, 12:33 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
I've made a few inquiries to Alberta (CARNA) a really lovely lady gave me some great info: she also said it may be possible if you need just maternity/paeds to get a restricted/temporary license while you do the courses. Some modules are online so can be done from home. I think it sounds like a long hard road but if you willing to start from the bottom it can be achieved
I think that's the answer- choose your province wisely. Have you looked into BC? We chose Ontario because of my husband's job but it definitely wasn't the best choice for me as a nurse.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I think that's the answer- choose your province wisely. Have you looked into BC? We chose Ontario because of my husband's job but it definitely wasn't the best choice for me as a nurse.
Yes I have contacted BC but they kind of referred me to NNAS, but this time I have reworded my question in hope of getting a better response. However I have found the link to the two colleges sites who provide the modules and it tells you what is online and what needs practice hours. For everywhere I have looked at these two seem to have the best outlook.
The lady from CARNA said their is an 18 month wait currently
Old Aug 16th 2015, 12:50 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have contacted BC but they kind of referred me to NNAS, but this time I have reworded my question in hope of getting a better response. However I have found the link to the two colleges sites who provide the modules and it tells you what is online and what needs practice hours. For everywhere I have looked at these two seem to have the best outlook.
The lady from CARNA said their is an 18 month wait currently
18 month wait for?
Old Aug 16th 2015, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

18 month wait for?
Sorry, Mount Royal university which is the only program they send candidates to for their modules
Old Aug 16th 2015, 3:06 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Sorry, Mount Royal university which is the only program they send candidates to for their modules

Honestly is their training that much better than ours? I know that when I was at our local hospital infection control was years behind what we practiced back home. The clinic my husband works in and the one I'm a patient at makes me wince every time I look at the floors
Old Aug 16th 2015, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Honestly is their training that much better than ours? I know that when I was at our local hospital infection control was years behind what we practiced back home. The clinic my husband works in and the one I'm a patient at makes me wince every time I look at the floors
Oh no really? It's crazy isn't it? I think our training is really good and continuously improving with each cohort.
I suppose if we covered everything we would find it easier to get in. That appears to be the only hold back
Old Aug 16th 2015, 3:14 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Oh no really? It's crazy isn't it? I think our training is really good and continuously improving with each cohort.
I suppose if we covered everything we would find it easier to get in. That appears to be the only hold back
Yes I suspect you're right.. My paeds hours were spent mostly in a school
But I never needed them back home and doubt I will need them here..
Old Aug 16th 2015, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I suspect you're right.. My paeds hours were spent mostly in a school
But I never needed them back home and doubt I will need them here..
I'm seriously considering the LPN route just to get out there! The cost of flying my whole family over for 3 weeks to do assessments and then 4 weeks to do modules just seems crazy!
Old Aug 16th 2015, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm seriously considering the LPN route just to get out there! The cost of flying my whole family over for 3 weeks to do assessments and then 4 weeks to do modules just seems crazy!

Well why don't you? You too Tirytory?

If UK trained nurse's skills/qualifications are more than adequate for the role of HCA + LPN then why aren't nurses going out to do that?
Is it only thinking that role is taking a step 'back'?
Is it that simple or is there any further obstacles to overcome?
Are the wages not enough to live on?

Just curious
Old Aug 16th 2015, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Roberto1980

If UK trained nurse's skills/qualifications are more than adequate for the role of HCA + LPN then why aren't nurses going out to do that?

Just curious
The vacancies I have seen for an LPN in Vancouver are around $24 an hour. Which is double what a UK Hca would earn. It's hard to say without actually living there and experiencing the cost of living rather than reading about it online. But for me I would say it's worth doing! It would much more affordable to do the required modules and working over there with my family already there and settled than it would be to fly four of us over for 3 weeks as a holiday x2!
I do wonder though why others don't do that and is there an issue with this.....
You can apply through NNAS as an LPN and an RN so it must be possible
Old Aug 16th 2015, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Double the national min wage is it not? Seems a simple solution to me. Maybe everyone only talks of how hard it can be to discourage the 'competition' lol.

The vacancies I have seen for an LPN in Vancouver are around $24 an hour. Which is double what a UK Hca would earn. It's hard to say without actually living there and experiencing the cost of living rather than reading about it online. But for me I would say it's worth doing! It would much more affordable to do the required modules and working over there with my family already there and settled than it would be to fly four of us over for 3 weeks as a holiday x2!
I do wonder though why others don't do that and is there an issue with this.....
You can apply through NNAS as an LPN and an RN so it must be possible
Old Aug 16th 2015, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah. Double the national min wage is it not? Seems a simple solution to me. Maybe everyone only talks of how hard it can be to discourage the 'competition' lol.
Good point! Perhaps I need to look into this route some more, however it's only NOC - B so would def need a job offer. I've already been emailing lots of places. Fingers crossed
Old Aug 16th 2015, 4:54 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Just curious
I am/I have ... 14 months in and still waiting to be put forward for the RPN exam (called LPN in other provinces). It's not about taking a step back, it's about not being able to work to the capacity that you are trained for in the UK, but regardless of this I did opt for the RPN route thinking it would be quicker and I could get started. Sadly for me this is not the case.

Last edited by Tirytory; Aug 16th 2015 at 4:57 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

I am/I have ... 14 months in and still waiting to be put forward for the RPN exam (called LPN in other provinces). It's not about taking a step back, it's about not being able to work to the capacity that you are trained for in the UK, but regardless of this I did opt for the RPN route thinking it would be quicker and I could get started. Sadly for me this is not the case.
Do you think that's because you have started the process over there? Is there a reason why your not doing RN over there now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.