Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Old Aug 14th 2015, 3:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Seems medical skills don't transfer well country to country, well not so much the skills don't just the red tape putting up barriers and making things difficult.

I wonder how difficult it is for a doctor trained in the UK to come over and work here, imagine some red tape involved there as well.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

It can be extremely difficult to move across as a doctor.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
It can be extremely difficult to move across as a doctor.
In a way it's good and comforting that people are going through rigorous assessment to ensure they are capable, but at the same time a nightmare for people making the transition!
Old Aug 14th 2015, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

But the chances are you do have to do the extra modules if lucky if not then the full on bridging course...and yes it can be done in Canada but you will not be allowed to work as a RN during the process. Our uk qualifications are usually ok for a LPN registration...well it is enough to let uk nurses sit a LPN exam

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
All IEN's (Internationally Trained Nurses) have to go through NNAS before submitting application to the provincial college of nurses whether RN or LPN. They basically review your transcripts and send a report to the college you have chosen but it is the college that makes the decision on whether you need to bridge or be assessed
Old Aug 15th 2015, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

mjsmith83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
I applied to CNO as RN under the old system and finally after well over a year of waiting they have said my next step is to complete an OSCE, has anyone else completed this day?? Did you complete the prep course prior?
Old Aug 15th 2015, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

I did OSCE last April it is like as scenario based assessment where one has got a role to play ie there was a woman that was pretending to be my patient and then the assessor was providing me with step by step information to build up the full scenario I was to act upon the findings
QUOTE=mjsmith83;11724565]Hi ,
I applied to CNO as RN under the old system and finally after well over a year of waiting they have said my next step is to complete an OSCE, has anyone else completed this day?? Did you complete the prep course prior? [/QUOTE]
Old Aug 15th 2015, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
I did OSCE last April it is like as scenario based assessment where one has got a role to play ie there was a woman that was pretending to be my patient and then the assessor was providing me with step by step information to build up the full scenario I was to act upon the findings
QUOTE=mjsmith83;11724565]Hi ,
I applied to CNO as RN under the old system and finally after well over a year of waiting they have said my next step is to complete an OSCE, has anyone else completed this day?? Did you complete the prep course prior?
[/QUOTE]

Great, Did you do the prep course? Do you have to do physical examinations on the patients?? Was it at the touchstone institution? Sorry but got so many questions!
Old Aug 15th 2015, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Not sure if my previous reply sent...yes I did physical examination which is not something I do normally but hey ho...i applied to nova scotia board as this is where we were thinking of going
QUOTE=mjsmith83;11724575][/QUOTE]

Great, Did you do the prep course? Do you have to do physical examinations on the patients?? Was it at the touchstone institution? Sorry but got so many questions![/QUOTE]
Old Aug 15th 2015, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Not sure if my previous reply sent...yes I did physical examination which is not something I do normally but hey ho...i applied to nova scotia board as this is where we were thinking of going
QUOTE=mjsmith83;11724575]
Great, Did you do the prep course? Do you have to do physical examinations on the patients?? Was it at the touchstone institute? Sorry but got so many questions![/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I applied to Ontario and think it sounds similar to you. I don't normally have to physically examine patients at work but will look into it. Are you close to doing the NCLEX-RN?
Old Aug 15th 2015, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

No I took all my assessments at Halifax in nova scotia...you are not allowed anywhere near real patient it is all done with an actor in a skills lab, I am a sister here in uk and they wanted me to do extra modules within mother and child modules plus few more and practice hours for mother and child (I am an adult nurse) so I have decided it is not worth it...it's been s year so far and after the OSCE I was given a long list if extra things to do before I would be eligible to sit the exam...and then to start from scratch...not for me
QUOTE=mjsmith83;11724642]Great, Did you do the prep course? Do you have to do physical examinations on the patients?? Was it at the touchstone institute? Sorry but got so many questions![/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I applied to Ontario and think it sounds similar to you. I don't normally have to physically examine patients at work but will look into it. Are you close to doing the NCLEX-RN?[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 15th 2015, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=kasiadoran;11724645]No I took all my assessments at Halifax in nova scotia...you are not allowed anywhere near real patient it is all done with an actor in a skills lab, I am a sister here in uk and they wanted me to do extra modules within mother and child modules plus few more and practice hours for mother and child (I am an adult nurse) so I have decided it is not worth it...it's been s year so far and after the OSCE I was given a long list if extra things to do before I would be eligible to sit the exam...and then to start from scratch...not for me

Its a complete nightmare - don't think they want British nurses at all!!! Thats a shame you didn't continue but can see your point. Thanks for your help though
Old Aug 15th 2015, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck!
QUOTE=mjsmith83;11724661]
No I took all my assessments at Halifax in nova scotia...you are not allowed anywhere near real patient it is all done with an actor in a skills lab, I am a sister here in uk and they wanted me to do extra modules within mother and child modules plus few more and practice hours for mother and child (I am an adult nurse) so I have decided it is not worth it...it's been s year so far and after the OSCE I was given a long list if extra things to do before I would be eligible to sit the exam...and then to start from scratch...not for me

Its a complete nightmare - don't think they want British nurses at all!!! Thats a shame you didn't continue but can see your point. Thanks for your help though
Old Aug 15th 2015, 8:20 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mjsmith83;11724661]

No...I don't think they do.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Has anyone been successful with their application? Can you please share your story.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

People are successful but it's taking ages to get through everything...when I was sending my paperwork lady working in the assessment department said that as a minimum you are looking at one year of hassle etc...and she said in last 5 years or so not even one UK qualified nurse was allowed to sit the exam straight away everyone have to do some form of extra modules/courses etc and this is because the programm differences are too great...but people do it...very often uk nurses are working as a hca or LPN in nursing homes over there and doing all the extra courses at the same time...but for example with me it would just not work...one thing that I am very sure of is that I do not want to go to work in a nursing home, I am not prepared to sacrifice my current position within the hospital to start from scratch...but I heard of quite few people who did it and it all worked out ok
QUOTE=mjsmith83;11724949]Has anyone been successful with their application? Can you please share your story.[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.