Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Old Aug 2nd 2015, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Originally Posted by nicobenn
You apply to what ever province you want to go the assessment is done before as you are unable to get to sit the exam with out it unless you are going to move before then you can do it whist there often there are bits of training UK nurses don't have or maternity so you have to do some practical work as well the asent costs about $1700 to do obviously flights etc on top of this that's is you need to do it x
Thank you so much. I am prepared to do what it takes! I'm a newly qualified adult nurse, I did 60 hours mental health placement and we done a maternity work book but that is all. So I imagine I need to do it all. Do you have any recommendations on where to live in Canada? We have been looking at Alberta, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal etc. They all seem very nice, just not sure where is best for nurses in regards to finding a job.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry and how long do they assessments go on for? Is it dependant on how many modules you need to qualify ? X thanks again!
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

nicobenn is an unknown quantity at this point

I did more hours think about 150 hrs for paeds mental health and mat but need to do assessment and likey you will need to do further training in Canada also before you can get a license so would be costly as you do have to pay for each think some can be done on line and in UK I think you just need to see where would best suit your to live probably more going on in bigger cities is Vancouver , Toronto etc xx
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

The main assessment is 5 days then depends what you need to do after that's assessment you have 12 months to complete all the extra hours x
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nicobenn
The main assessment is 5 days then depends what you need to do after that's assessment you have 12 months to complete all the extra hours x
Are the extra hours to be completed during you working there? Or do you have to fly over to complete the hours? Thanks again x
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

i can imagine it's going to cost a small fortune if you need to keep flying over xx
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
Are the extra hours to be completed during you working there? Or do you have to fly over to complete the hours? Thanks again x
In my experience you have to do all this before as you cannot get a license to work you may be able to get a temporary licence but I'm not 100% sure it's a long process x
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Yep will be expensive x
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

So really it is best to go through the processes and see what they say then. Fingers crossed! Thank you for all of your info!

Kerry xx
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
Thank you so much. I am prepared to do what it takes! I'm a newly qualified adult nurse, I did 60 hours mental health placement and we done a maternity work book but that is all. So I imagine I need to do it all. Do you have any recommendations on where to live in Canada? We have been looking at Alberta, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal etc. They all seem very nice, just not sure where is best for nurses in regards to finding a job.
For Montreal/Quebec, realistically you will need French. And the immigration path is a bit different. Qc used to fast-track nurses, but I think that's no longer the case. We had an influx of Francophone nurses a few years back, most of whom seem to have either gone home or moved West.

Otherwise, the whole subject of registering/qualifying/finding a job etc in Canada for UK nurses has been covered extensively on the board. I suggest a search for posts by Tirytory (many others too, but Tt is the most recent poster I think of off the top of my head).
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
For Montreal/Quebec, realistically you will need French. And the immigration path is a bit different. Qc used to fast-track nurses, but I think that's no longer the case. We had an influx of Francophone nurses a few years back, most of whom seem to have either gone home or moved West.

Otherwise, the whole subject of registering/qualifying/finding a job etc in Canada for UK nurses has been covered extensively on the board. I suggest a search for posts by Tirytory (many others too, but Tt is the most recent poster I think of off the top of my head).
Thank you very much for that info. Yes I've done quite a bit of reading now and we kind of ruled QUEBEC out as I think it would be hard to settle down there. We speak very little French so that on top of a complete relocation may be too much. My husband is a plumber and previously a floor covering installer so it may be worth getting a visa via him and then doing the bridging to Canadian nursing program while we are there already saving us lots of money. Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Your first step
Is to apply to NNAS - they assess everything and then send everything to the board of nursing for the province you are looking at going to. It used to be expensive to apply to more than one province, but now NNAS is the major cost and then the boards have a fee too.
If your husband can get visa that would probably be the best route to go - but apply to NNAS sooner rather than later - because it is all a long drawn out process.
All the provinces are different with their requirements- I am in Ontario and applied under the old system. Here you have to do a one day OSCE assessment and then after that find out if you have to do anything before being able to write the NCLEX. It is a long drawn out process - I have not heard from anyone so far who applied through NNAS - it is supposed to be a better system but it has been operating for almost a year - so maybe it is not any quicker!!
If you are planning on moving to Canada I would get the wheels
In motion as soon as you can with NNAS
Good luck
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caleo
Your first step
Is to apply to NNAS - they assess everything and then send everything to the board of nursing for the province you are looking at going to. It used to be expensive to apply to more than one province, but now NNAS is the major cost and then the boards have a fee too.
If your husband can get visa that would probably be the best route to go - but apply to NNAS sooner rather than later - because it is all a long drawn out process.
All the provinces are different with their requirements- I am in Ontario and applied under the old system. Here you have to do a one day OSCE assessment and then after that find out if you have to do anything before being able to write the NCLEX. It is a long drawn out process - I have not heard from anyone so far who applied through NNAS - it is supposed to be a better system but it has been operating for almost a year - so maybe it is not any quicker!!
If you are planning on moving to Canada I would get the wheels
In motion as soon as you can with NNAS
Good luck
Thank you for the Info!
I think we will try to apply through the express entry with my husband being the main applicant but as you say apply NNAS route for myself as well. It can't hurt to get things moving can it. Now we have made a definite decision to move to Canada I cannot wait to get things started! We have booked up for an Expo in London in October with the hopes it might give us some options! Thanks again
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

All IEN (International Educated Nurses) must go through NNAS before submitting application to the provincial college who then will review NNAS and your application and make a decision on what you need to do next
Old Aug 11th 2015, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

George_K is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad I located this thread to see how difficult the process can be. I was looking to make the move in the next 10 months - 1 year and was nervy about applying too early!

All this information seems to run contrary to that view. I started the NNAS process today (hoping I've completed it all as accurately as I can), but then came to $650 payment which made me pause a little. That's one hell of a lot of money to shell out in one go. Payday beckons.

Also concerned by the difficulty people have had finding jobs once the red tape is out of the way as well as bad experiences when they do find work.

I'm excited about moving to Canada (thinking Vancouver, I'm mental health trained), but I just hope I can make it a positive career move! Judging by what people are saying so far it's a pretty frustrating journey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.