Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all Kamloopians....

Calling all Kamloopians....

Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Calling all Kamloopians....

Hi,
Anyone in Kamloops that can give me an idea of the best places to live?? I have heard that the North Shore is not so nice and that the further away from the Pulp mill the better so that it doesn't smell?! We are a family of 3 and so will be looking for a 3 bedroom house, close to schools etc.
Also, when we first move we will be looking to rent short term - does anyone know of any people that rent out their basements etc on a temp basis?
We will be hoping to come over for a reccie in the next year but won't actually be moving for a couple of years yet but want an idea of the cost of living etc...
Any thoughts on Housing, Cost of living etc would be appreciated...

Many thanks
Old Jul 16th 2009, 3:18 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all Kamloopians....

Originally Posted by linz3112
Hi,
Anyone in Kamloops that can give me an idea of the best places to live?? I have heard that the North Shore is not so nice and that the further away from the Pulp mill the better so that it doesn't smell?! We are a family of 3 and so will be looking for a 3 bedroom house, close to schools etc.
Also, when we first move we will be looking to rent short term - does anyone know of any people that rent out their basements etc on a temp basis?
We will be hoping to come over for a reccie in the next year but won't actually be moving for a couple of years yet but want an idea of the cost of living etc...

Many thanks
Best is going to be determined by your desired lifestyle, income and what you're willing to spend on rent or mortgage. Some areas of the N.Shore are perfectly OK (eg Westsyde and Batchelor Heights), others not quite so nice, but it's not exactly a ghetto, just a little scruffy in parts with lower cost housing.

Popular family suburbs are Sahali, Juniper, Aberdeen, Valleyview and Dallas, to name a few. If you want a larger plot or acreage, look at Barnhartvale.

Some of the priciest homes are in Rose Hill, though $1m + homes can be found scattered around most of the better areas, if that's your definition of 'best'.

Many folk rent out basements, the local classifieds and Craigs List are your point of reference for what's available. There's not a great deal of rental property in general, but look hard enough something will crop up. I rent out a 3 bed property for $1,250 p/mth (everything included except 'phone and cable), to give you an idea of costs.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by linz3112
Hi,

Many thanks
I live in Kamloops, moved here in OCtober with my husband and two young boys (7 and 5). We did a recee of all areas, Sahali, Aberdeen, Juniper, Barnhartvale. I didn't like the North Shore at all so ruled that out straight away. Barnhartvale is nice but I find it a little too far out of town. Parts of Upper Sahali is lovely (by the school). I personally thought Aberdeen was a little too built up. We loved Juniper Ridge it is like a community of its own (one road in and one road out Everyone up there is so friendly and it is very family orientated. The school is amazing but if you want your kids to go to the school you best get them signed up. If you want to chat or pop over to see what Juniper is like then give me a call. you can pm me and I will give you my contact details.

With regards renting we found our house through the kamloopsdailynews website. We actually found it whilst still in the UK. Rental properties don't come up much in Juniper. We our renting our 4 bedroom house for $1700 plus utilities so it is a little pricier than some areas but the area is well worth the money especially if you are a family.

Hope this helps
Tracy
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

all of the above are nice plus pineview valley.

i've lived in Upper Sahali (near the school) and now aberdeen and they are both nice places to live, but i agree aberdeen is more built up than most, but its close to the mall and supermarkets etc..

i prefer the view from this side so won't be living on the north shore, but there are definatly some nice areas over the river.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys!!!
When i say nice i mean, family orientated, quiet, friendly, low crime, near rec facilities and schools if poss - Juniper Heights sounds like the kind of place i am thinking of but it may be a bit pricy to start with. I guess it will depend on wages etc more than anything!!
My OH is a Plumber - is there much call for them in Kamloops??
Thanks again for your help.
Linz