Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all East Coast Canada Experts

Calling all East Coast Canada Experts

Old Dec 18th 2015, 12:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all East Coast Canada Experts

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Never been to NS, but from what I've seen (street view, pictures, reports,) Halifax looks like a great city and the surrounding areas seem affordable enough?
From my visits I have the impression of a small city with an attractive and reasonably historic core, some rough bits (English sink estate rough, not Buffalo/Detroit/Baghdad rough), some good restaurants (this time we liked the Five Fishermen and the Costal Café), lots of bars with music; a place that's studenty but not childish, affluent inner suburbs, dreadful outer suburbs of griege siding like the RoC. I was inclined to go and gawk at Fall River just so I could be bitchy about the place however the view that, if I wanted to be in Mississauga I could be in the actual Mississauga without wasting holiday time, prevailed.

My child, who actually lived in Halifax, found it far too white bread and needed food parcels of things with spices sent to her. I suppose there's some merit to that view, Halifax is a port but it doesn't have a huge population so there won't be the diversity of population and food one finds in big cities such as London or NYC or even in Toronto. That said, she's in Vancouver now so that's a bit frying pan and fire.

The surrounding areas do seem reasonably priced but, compared with here, NS seems densely populated, like, say, Cornwall. You may have a sea view but, if you look to the side, you'll see another house.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 1:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all East Coast Canada Experts

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think Ax's "Disney version of Newfoundland" is fair but we're not all hairy chested enough to want to get up and battle a force 10 on the way to a breakfast of cod tongues each holiday morning. NS offers a gentler vacation, something in the manner of Ireland, riding on the beach, brew pubs, squiddly diddly music, nautical excursions, what's not to like?
Wimp.

It is windy here though. All. The. Time.

I haven't spent time in Halifax in the past few years but I'd say that St John's could probably give it a run for it's money on restaurants (variety of, quality of) and bars theses days. Halifax and Nova Scotia, do of course have the huge advantage of being part of the Mainland of Canada rather than an Island stuck out in the Gulf Stream. I've lived here 11 years and never taken the Marine Atlantic ferry yet but the 12 hour drive + 6 hour crossing just to get to Sydney, NS, doesn't encourage me to do so.