Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all East Coast Canada Experts

Calling all East Coast Canada Experts

Old Dec 8th 2015, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all East Coast Canada Experts

Originally Posted by Fortune500
We have toyed with it Moses2013. All of our Irish expat friends are moving back (things seem to be picking up) and we find most of you to be great craic ... sorry. True about the direct flights. Cost of living still seems much lower in Panama and Portugal though. Panama wins over most due to the tax-free option. We are non-residents for tax purposes at the moment, so obviously staying offshore in a place like Panama that offers the Friendly Nations visa is very tempting longer term as Canadian passport holders.
Yes a lot of people have come back, or are moving here. Economy is picking up, pretty safe environment for kids and quality of life is good. Dublin is certainly just as pricey when it comes to property, but plenty of cheap properties around the country, if you like it more rural. You're still never too far from places with employment and in Galway we're only 2 hours drive from Dublin. Of course Panama is a complete different environment, but poverty is a big problem outside the capital. Portugal is certainly cheaper when it comes eating out, buying alcohol, but not really a huge difference when it comes to the general living costs. At the end of the day, you can live cheap anywhere if you have a bit of land to grow your own food.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 1:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Our other options are currently Panama, Portugal, or rural Ontario ... Might need to look harder at these.
We live in rural(ish) Ontario and were in Annapolis in the summer. Admittedly it was summer but Annapolis seemed to me to be more densely populated than where we are. You couldn't commute to Halifax but we met a man in a hot tub in Halifax who had come for the weekend, that's certainly feasible. I wouldn't say that it looked remote by Canadian standards.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 1:29 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a thought and as another parent, you might want your children to become entrepreneurs rather than taking an academic route but I consider our job as parents to be to equip them with the skills and knowledge to become whatever they want to be.. A lack of quality education would be a real problem for me. I'm unaware of education in NS so not sure if it's as bad as Alex states it is.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 5:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I'm unaware of education in NS so not sure if it's as bad as Alex states it is.
This is probably one of those things where what happens in some places isn't enough to judge Canada while something that happens in part of a province isn't enough to judge the whole province.

My two stepkids had a far better experience of school here than they did back in the Montreal area.

The 60% level of functional illiteracy that Alex mentions is high.
But on literacy.ca it gives 55% for Canada, so maybe that's not hugely different. Literacy.ca goes on to say "Shockingly, 88% of adults over the age of 65 appear to be in this situation" so when you factor in NB's greater than any other province share of over 65s there may be very little difference when it comes to younger folk of NB compared to others.

I don't mention this to defend the province as there are certainly some attitudes and practices where things are, shall we say, outdated.

But several cities in Atlantic Canada have traditionally shown up in those Macleans Canada's smartest city things so we're not all country bumpkins.

There are differences comparing cities and rural here, and no doubt the same is true in other provinces.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 5:57 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Think long and hard about moving here.

The houses are cheap yes. Mostly made of matchsticks and plastic.

Cost of everything else is not cheap. Choice and availability of a lot of things is limited to say the least.

Weather is crap.

You mention that you have children. The school system here is dire. Over 60% of adults in NB are functionally illiterate. NS and PEI are not far behind.

People are mostly backward and uneducated. Famous East Coast friendly people? They are lying to themselves. Rude, racist, redneck, clicky and ignorant.
So not a fan then ? lol
Old Dec 8th 2015, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Tangram
So not a fan then ? lol
Its more a complete indifference than anything. I am bored of living here. It has been nearly 6 years and it feels like a few years too long.

I have the fortunate problem of having a good job and my fiancees family and friends are here.

My fiancee was born and bred here. She has lived in other parts of the country and in Mexico and shares my opinion of the people here. Despite making the effort over the years I have got to the point where I just cant be bothered with most of the locals. I cant put up with the mindless small talk.

We have talked about moving to Southern Ontario but it would not be sensible right now due to careers and mortgage term.

As for the education of course there is going to be a spectrum of good and bad everywhere but the average seems to be lower here. As Bristol points out there is a difference between the young and old. This is could be part of the brain drain effect.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 11:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
We have talked about moving to Southern Ontario but it would not be sensible right now due to careers and mortgage term.
The snow here is the main reason I'd move elsewhere in Canada. Oakville looks good. Cobourg has been recommended to me and that seems a bit more affordable property wise.

I still quite fancy Kelowna Bigger time difference there though. Don't fancy getting up so early for the footie.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 12:52 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We live in rural(ish) Ontario and were in Annapolis in the summer. Admittedly it was summer but Annapolis seemed to me to be more densely populated than where we are. You couldn't commute to Halifax but we met a man in a hot tub in Halifax who had come for the weekend, that's certainly feasible. I wouldn't say that it looked remote by Canadian standards.
Must of drove right past(ish) and didn't pop in for a beer
Old Dec 9th 2015, 1:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Must of drove right past(ish) and didn't pop in for a beer
Well, since you offer, we'll be back next year ...
Old Dec 10th 2015, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The snow here is the main reason I'd move elsewhere in Canada.
Don't fancy getting up so early for the footie.
Agree with that

Thurs and Fri night Super League is also a good time here
Old Dec 11th 2015, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Does anyone have school-age children in these areas? How do you find the education and extracurricular options?

Sorry for not being more specific, but really we are looking for a knowledgeable sounding board really. Some helpful insights. Cheers!
We moved to the Annapolis Valley ten years ago and have two children, 9 and 7. So far we've been very happy with the schooling and in this part of the Valley at least there is no shortage of extracurricular activities.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Fortune500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Deva. Sent you a PM
Old Dec 16th 2015, 8:59 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Well, since you offer, we'll be back next year ...
Most definitely. Let us know around the time.

Your daughter wasn't at university at Arcadia was she? I know it was somewhere in NS, just wondering what first brought you vacationing there
Old Dec 17th 2015, 12:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Flogger
Most definitely. Let us know around the time.

Your daughter wasn't at university at Arcadia was she? I know it was somewhere in NS, just wondering what first brought you vacationing there
She was at King's in Halifax, a Dal affiliate, and wound up at UBC. But for the lure of the sea, I suppose she'd have gone to McGill with the rest of her cohort and things would have turned out quite differently.

I'd been to the east coast long before that. When we arrived in Canada we were struck by the ugliness of Toronto and the flatness of the surrounding area. We took every chance to drive to nearby States and Provinces in search of scenery. Luckily, we had a 73 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham, a car so long that, as the boot crossed Yonge St. someone on the bonnet could already see Port aux Basques. We went to NYC, Montreal, Quebec City, Cape Cod, Nag's Head, NS, the UP, Chicago and other places I've forgotten.

I don't remember much of that first trip to NS except for being shocked that everything was closed on Sundays. I know we went back in the minivan years as I recall cleaning a spectacular mess of body fluids out of the van while overlooking the sea on Cape Breton. There's a reason that daughter went ten years in farmer pants with the back straps clamped so she couldn't undo them.

Subsequently I lived with a Newfie for seven years or so, she had seven siblings still living in NF (and another six in Ontario) so there very many trips for domestic matters as well as for holidays. We usually drove so I saw Truro, New Glasgow and Sydney quite often. Despite visiting those places, I've been going to various parts of NS from time to time since then.

I think Ax's "Disney version of Newfoundland" is fair but we're not all hairy chested enough to want to get up and battle a force 10 on the way to a breakfast of cod tongues each holiday morning. NS offers a gentler vacation, something in the manner of Ireland, riding on the beach, brew pubs, squiddly diddly music, nautical excursions, what's not to like?
Old Dec 18th 2015, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

She was at King's in Halifax, a Dal affiliate, and wound up at UBC. But for the lure of the sea, I suppose she'd have gone to McGill with the rest of her cohort and things would have turned out quite differently. I'd been to the east coast long before that. When we arrived in Canada we were struck by the ugliness of Toronto and the flatness of the surrounding area. We took every chance to drive to nearby States and Provinces in search of scenery. Luckily, we had a 73 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham, a car so long that, as the boot crossed Yonge St. someone on the bonnet could already see Port aux Basques. We went to NYC, Montreal, Quebec City, Cape Cod, Nag's Head, NS, the UP, Chicago and other places I've forgotten. I don't remember much of that first trip to NS except for being shocked that everything was closed on Sundays. I know we went back in the minivan years as I recall cleaning a spectacular mess of body fluids out of the van while overlooking the sea on Cape Breton. There's a reason that daughter went ten years in farmer pants with the back straps clamped so she couldn't undo them. Subsequently I lived with a Newfie for seven years or so, she had seven siblings still living in NF (and another six in Ontario) so there very many trips for domestic matters as well as for holidays. We usually drove so I saw Truro, New Glasgow and Sydney quite often. Despite visiting those places, I've been going to various parts of NS from time to time since then. I think Ax's "Disney version of Newfoundland" is fair but we're not all hairy chested enough to want to get up and battle a force 10 on the way to a breakfast of cod tongues each holiday morning. NS offers a gentler vacation, something in the manner of Ireland, riding on the beach, brew pubs, squiddly diddly music, nautical excursions, what's not to like?
Never been to NS, but from what I've seen (street view, pictures, reports,) Halifax looks like a great city and the surrounding areas seem affordable enough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.