Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all BC bikers!!

Calling all BC bikers!!

Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Carly H will become famous soon enough
Talking Calling all BC bikers!!

I'm moving to BC this summer and need to ask people out there that know a little about bike driving licenses what i need to do.

I currently ride a 50cc scooter with a CBT which i renew every two years to accompany my provisional license. I've been doing this for the last 13 years!!! And yes I know I should just take my full license so please don't give me any grief

Can I get a learners permit and ride a 50cc moped??? Is this difficult to organise or as easy as it is in the UK?

Thank you, Carly
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:45 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all BC bikers!!

Originally Posted by Carly H
I'm moving to BC this summer and need to ask people out there that know a little about bike driving licenses what i need to do.

I currently ride a 50cc scooter with a CBT which i renew every two years to accompany my provisional license. I've been doing this for the last 13 years!!! And yes I know I should just take my full license so please don't give me any grief

Can I get a learners permit and ride a 50cc moped??? Is this difficult to organise or as easy as it is in the UK?

Thank you, Carly
It's not that easy to get here - you have to jump through a few hoops. You do not have a full license so you have to start from scratch.

http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_getlic_mbike-noDL.asp

Getting the fully licensed rider to accompany you as you ride (not as a pillion passenger, just within sight) is a pain if you don't know anyone. If you are planning on moving to the Fraser Valley, I might be able to help you out.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Calling all BC bikers!!

Hi Dingbat
Thank you for your reply.
There I was thinking that with the last of the immigration hoop's jumped through, I was home and dry!!!
I had a look at the web page you attached and it looks like the 'Skill test' and the 'class 8 road test' are not to far different from the CBT. I am a pro at the CBT now.
If I am understanding this it means I can get a licence, after 30 days of having someone ride around with me I can take the skill test and then I'm free to ride alone. Then I can take the class 8 road test with little pressure.
Is this as you understand it.
Thank you for your offer to ride around with me, it was very kind of you, however I'm moving to Kamloops. Its strange that they are happy for people to ride around like that as I don't know how that is gonna stop someone falling off or doing something daft.
I think I will have to look into a place in Kamloops to take these tests.
Thanks again
Carly

Originally Posted by dingbat
It's not that easy to get here - you have to jump through a few hoops. You do not have a full license so you have to start from scratch.

http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_getlic_mbike-noDL.asp

Getting the fully licensed rider to accompany you as you ride (not as a pillion passenger, just within sight) is a pain if you don't know anyone. If you are planning on moving to the Fraser Valley, I might be able to help you out.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:28 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dingbat
Thank you for your reply.
There I was thinking that with the last of the immigration hoop's jumped through, I was home and dry!!!
I had a look at the web page you attached and it looks like the 'Skill test' and the 'class 8 road test' are not to far different from the CBT. I am a pro at the CBT now.
If I am understanding this it means I can get a licence, after 30 days of having someone ride around with me I can take the skill test and then I'm free to ride alone. Then I can take the class 8 road test with little pressure.
Is this as you understand it.
Thank you for your offer to ride around with me, it was very kind of you, however I'm moving to Kamloops. Its strange that they are happy for people to ride around like that as I don't know how that is gonna stop someone falling off or doing something daft.
I think I will have to look into a place in Kamloops to take these tests.
Thanks again
Carly
good luck with the test carly.
I'm going to sask and I've heard I have to take the test there too, even though I've had a full bike licence since 1988.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Calling all BC bikers!!

Good luck to you too
If we are not dead after so many years on two wheels you would have thought that is all the information they need!
Carly

Originally Posted by koogar
I'm going to sask and I've heard I have to take the test there too, even though I've had a full bike licence since 1988.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:57 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you too
If we are not dead after so many years on two wheels you would have thought that is all the information they need!
Carly
maybe they think we'll struggle with left hand drive motorbikes
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

hehehe hehehe
I wish I thought of that one
hehehe

maybe they think we'll struggle with left hand drive motorbikes
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
yep, you think they would do some sort of exchange, I started on two wheels in 1975, ( with occasional four wheel holidays ).
eek thats over 30yrs .... :scared: must be time for a harley ....
cheers
Jerry
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:16 am
Whatacomplete Member

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi,
yep, you think they would do some sort of exchange, I started on two wheels in 1975, ( with occasional four wheel holidays ).
cheers
Jerry
pull yourself together now jerry.....no need for talk like that
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:48 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
Jerry
<cough..splutter> Harley? Wash your mouth out with soap....
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Now come on boys, we need to support Jerry.... Come on Jerry...its ok..come back from the dark side

Originally Posted by dingbat
<cough..splutter> Harley? Wash your mouth out with soap....
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:55 am
Whatacomplete Member

Now come on boys, we need to support Jerry.... Come on Jerry...its ok..come back from the dark side
is that dark side, or dork side carly?
only playin jerry
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:00 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
cheers
Jerry
Yeah, get a Harley! I'm a tree-hugger and I hate machismo but I've my contradictions - I do love Harleys, and muscle cars and dragsters! Get one and feel free to rumble by my front door... just don't be my neighbour!
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Whats a muscle car???

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Yeah, get a Harley! I'm a tree-hugger and I hate machismo but I've my contradictions - I do love Harleys, and muscle cars and dragsters! Get one and feel free to rumble by my front door... just don't be my neighbour!
Old Apr 21st 2006, 6:40 pm
Whatacomplete Member

Whats a muscle car???
old american cars with fuggin big engines carly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.