British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Calgary or Winnipeg (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/calgary-winnipeg-911414/)

gibjam Apr 7th 2018 6:58 pm

Calgary or Winnipeg

I am looking for opinions of those that really know both cities well. I moved to Winnipeg 4 years ago, but an opportunity has been presented to me to relocate to Calgary. My family and I love Winnipeg (well Manitoba to be exact), but I also like Calgary.

I work in Construction (Estimator), and my employer has offered me the opportunity to work in bigger markets which is attractive to me. Winnipeg’s market is never going to be the big booming market, and career means a lot to me and is really the driving force behind a move.

I am looking for peoples thoughts that have lived in both Winnipeg and Calgary. When I say Calgary, I’ll probably head for Okotoks.

I have a good secure job, so really looking for lifestyle. Like i said before career is important, but I have a wife (that’s never seen anything other than the Peg), and 4 young children, so family is very my important to me. We like doing things together and the one thing that I would miss is the beaches (lots of them).

Any thoughts appreciated.

neilcumming Apr 8th 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Calgary or Winnipeg

I lived in Winnipeg for 5yrs and now live in Calgary.I have been here 2yrs and it has been great.My wife and I love the city and Rockies only 1hr drive away.We dont have children,my son is grown so cant give info on that but one of the big differences for me between the Peg and Calgary is the downtown is alot more safer here than in Wpeg and alot more nicer.I stayed in Okotoks for 3 weeks ,in a caravan and its nice wee town .I suppose good for families but as I said no idea about things to do for children or schools.

gibjam Apr 14th 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 12477946)
I lived in Winnipeg for 5yrs and now live in Calgary.I have been here 2yrs and it has been great.My wife and I love the city and Rockies only 1hr drive away.We dont have children,my son is grown so cant give info on that but one of the big differences for me between the Peg and Calgary is the downtown is alot more safer here than in Wpeg and alot more nicer.I stayed in Okotoks for 3 weeks ,in a caravan and its nice wee town .I suppose good for families but as I said no idea about things to do for children or schools.

Thanks Neil.

Shakyuk Apr 16th 2018 6:16 pm

I have a friends who live in Okotoks and i've been down there. It's a very nice town and growing fast. They moved there so when their kids are school age they can both walk to elementary and high school.

Myself and my girlfriend are considering it amongst others as it is really nice.

Having a job before coming here is great, the economy is hard. I arrived in January, I have got lucky and got a job but after a hell of a lot of work. When I speak to people it's not uncommon for people to not have a job in their profession for a year or more.

Almost Canadian Apr 16th 2018 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12482820)
I have a friends who live in Okotoks and i've been down there. It's a very nice town and growing fast. They moved there so when their kids are school age they can both walk to elementary and high school.

Myself and my girlfriend are considering it amongst others as it is really nice.

Having a job before coming here is great, the economy is hard. I arrived in January, I have got lucky and got a job but after a hell of a lot of work. When I speak to people it's not uncommon for people to not have a job in their profession for a year or more.

Glad to hear things are working out. :thumbsup:

Shakyuk Apr 16th 2018 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12482837)
Glad to hear things are working out. :thumbsup:

Thank you man! Over 100 applications but only 1 call and that was purely because I had two recommendations! Tough market!

Got a job now doing something I think I'll really enjoy too so hopefully onwards and upwards!

Almost Canadian Apr 17th 2018 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12482960)
Thank you man! Over 100 applications but only 1 call and that was purely because I had two recommendations! Tough market!

Got a job now doing something I think I'll really enjoy too so hopefully onwards and upwards!

You've passed the first hurdle: a foot in the door. I have no doubt you will move onwards and upwards very quickly.

dbd33 Apr 17th 2018 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12482960)

Congratulations. Getting a job when you don't already have one is always the hardest.

Shakyuk Apr 17th 2018 9:17 pm

Thank you guys, I can't wait to start now. I'm not used to all this free time!

Almost Canadian Apr 18th 2018 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12483724)
Thank you guys, I can't wait to start now. I'm not used to all this free time!

I have a couple of fences at my place that need fixing!

steve of 5-0 Apr 18th 2018 4:56 pm

If ya like to help down and outs...Winnipeg is for you! If ya a right wing looney than it's Calgary...hands down! lol

Steve_ Apr 18th 2018 9:31 pm

Only have a passing familiarity with Winnipeg but it did strike me as being more rundown compared to Calgary.

JamesM Apr 19th 2018 12:51 am

I'd take Calgary every time.