Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Originally Posted by Steve_
I've never understood why a "dry cold" is a good thing. I assume it means it doesn't feel as bad when it's windy but low humidity is a problem for me.
I do better in areas where there is low humidity - cold and damp makes my joints ache something rotten.

I guess that is part of the reason why people say a dry cold is better.

Also, damp and cold really seeps into you and makes you feel chilled to the bone. At least when it is really dry but very cold you can put on a couple more layers to keep the cold out. It is almost impossible to keep the damp out.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:46 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Where was it -41...oh you're on about windchill. Not the same thing but you already know that.
minus 30 not much better either
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:33 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dboy
minus 30 not much better either
No it's not I'll agree but it is not -40.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Alanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant future

I guess the inverse applies in summer, as you would feel 'cooler' at 25 degrees in Calgary than you would in say, Toronto.

I prefer the 'dry' climate but my skin, does not.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alanandson
I guess the inverse applies in summer, as you would feel 'cooler' at 25 degrees in Calgary than you would in say, Toronto.
Correct, less sweating and sweating achieves its purpose more easily.

We could also take into account altitude which, in Calgary`s case, makes the summer temperatures feel even warmer
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Correct, less sweating and sweating achieves its purpose more easily.

We could also take into account altitude which, in Calgary`s case, makes the summer temperatures feel even warmer
In addition Calgary's altitude also leads to cooler evenings.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:45 pm

No it's not I'll agree but it is not -40.
well i dont care what they call it or what caused it, it was minus 41 the other day, apparently the second coldest place on the planet. I know I was there, it was f-----g cold! Not to mention how dry my skin was and it was painful to breath. Not normal if you ask me.....I'll stick with the rain thanks very much....
Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:52 pm

well i dont care what they call it or what caused it, it was minus 41 the other day, apparently the second coldest place on the planet. I know I was there, it was f-----g cold! Not to mention how dry my skin was and it was painful to breath. Not normal if you ask me.....I'll stick with the rain thanks very much....
Believe what you want but it was not -41. It was also proven later in the day that the second coldest place on the planet thing was bullshit.

By the way it's warmer right now in Calgary than it is in Vancouver go figure. What a difference a couple of days make.

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 25th 2010 at 10:08 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:25 am

Belie8 dve what you want but it was not -41. It was also proven later in the day that the second coldest place on the planet thing was bullshit.

By the way it's warmer right now in Calgary than it is in Vancouver go figure. What a difference a couple of days make.
well i will take your word for it....still it was the coldest I have ever been and an experience I'd rather not experience again, especially as I was outside for some time. I spent a week in Grand Praire last Jan and it was like the tropics in comparison.

As for colder in Vancouver....hardly the norm is it? Minus anything here is very rare as is snow. the last time I remember having snow this early was 1996.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:43 am

well i will take your word for it....still it was the coldest I have ever been and an experience I'd rather not experience again, especially as I was outside for some time. I spent a week in Grand Praire last Jan and it was like the tropics in comparison.

As for colder in Vancouver....hardly the norm is it? Minus anything here is very rare as is snow. the last time I remember having snow this early was 1996.
FFS did you completely lose your sense of humour?
Old Nov 26th 2010, 5:59 am

FFS did you completely lose your sense of humour?
three days in calgary saw that off thanks very much

And i have 2-3 days every other week there or so to look forward to until mid february

It appears that the joke is on me
Old Nov 26th 2010, 2:17 pm

And i have 2-3 days every other week there or so to look forward to until mid february

Pansy-assed west coaster.

I thought they made RCMP much tougher than that.

We'll see if we can warm things up a little for your future visits diddums.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 2:56 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
Also, damp and cold really seeps into you and makes you feel chilled to the bone. At least when it is really dry but very cold you can put on a couple more layers to keep the cold out. It is almost impossible to keep the damp out.
I'm not talking about so humid that it's damp, but I am talking about some humidity. I find my skin just starts flaking off as soon as the first big cold hits.

On a side note I'm diabetic and one thing that I find drops your blood sugar very quickly is being in a strong, cold wind as I was recently reminded of when I was down in Waterton Lakes a few weeks ago and it was so windy I could barely stand up. Blood sugar dropped faster than I've ever seen happen before, your body really starts to pump up the metabolism when you're exposed to extreme cold. Bit more moisture in it makes you more aware of it, but I doubt the climate is going to change just to suit me!
Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

You've just been a bit unlucky. In future remember to bring your sunglasses and suncream with you and leave that oilskin sou'wester behind........
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Believe what you want but it was not -41. It was also proven later in the day that the second coldest place on the planet thing was bullshit.

Don't forget windchill, which essentially defines how cold it actually feels. So even if it only hit a mere -30C or so, -41C with a bit of windchill is quite reasonable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.