Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:21 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Originally Posted by Steve_
Alberta generally has better shopping because (a) no PST so people come here to shop and (b) main thing to do during the winter.
That has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of shopping.

The quality of shopping in Calgary has improved immensely lately due to the amount of disposable income available to retailers in this city. More big name U.S. or international stores have decided to make the move here.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of shopping.

The quality of shopping in Calgary has improved immensely lately due to the amount of disposable income available to retailers in this city. More big name U.S. or international stores have decided to make the move here.
I was talking about Alberta generally, the WEM wouldn't exist if not for all the shoppers coming in from other provinces. Like I said, during the winter, shopping is the main thing to do, which is why the shops are pretty good in Calgary.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:44 pm

I was talking about Alberta generally, the WEM wouldn't exist if not for all the shoppers coming in from other provinces. Like I said, during the winter, shopping is the main thing to do, which is why the shops are pretty good in Calgary.
You really need to get out more if you seriously believe that in winter shopping is the main thing to do either in Calgary or Alberta as a whole.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

You'll notice if you visit that there are lot more fat people than in Vancouver, because they sit inside watching the TV all winter. You ain't going skiing in -25.
I disagree, I'm fat and used to going skiing in -25. Drew the line sub -30 though.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup. Like others have said, you're full of BS.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know about living there but, this weekend, I'm in Sault St. Marie Ontario. As a place to visit it reminds me so much of Calgary. There's no reason to visit Calgary except that the train to the Rockies goes from there, the hotels are just racks for the Asians, off to the Rockies, three shifts a day. It's an ugly place, but it's in Canada, what they value there is warmth and iced hockey. It might work if you came from Birmingham.
Do I correctly infer that you guys are going to the Agawa Canyon today then?

If so, I hope the sun shines for you up there.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Do I correctly infer that you guys are going to the Agawa Canyon today then?

If so, I hope the sun shines for you up there.
Not sure if it was "today" but, yes, we were in the canyon, then riding on Mackinaw Island, then, to bring the weekend to a climax, we went to Flint MI. Flint isn't much of a place, it's what Calgary will be when the oil runs out, but it does have one compelling attraction for people from Toronto.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Ok not read all the replies yet, but I quite like Calgary.

Yes it is boring, dull and predicable, but it is a "nice" city to live in (am speaking as a mother of 4 kids here).

We live in the 'burbs in the far NW, and it is GREAT for kids... there are loads in our block alone - I regularly "loose" my kids because they are at someone elses house (about 12 possible kids or the "field" (ie the playing field just down the road)).. only downside is that I regularly have a back garden/house full of OPK's (Other Peoples Kids)

I do like Calgary - after where we used to live in the UK (Leeds, Sheffield and Nottingham) it seems a fairly safe city - far less violent crime for starters, the transit from where we are is good (we are just off Center Street/Harvest Hills Boulevard so there is the BRT bus downtown) Schooling for the kids is better than in the UK (my kids are part of the arts based program - nothing like this existed in the UK - they are thriving and loving it) - all in all I am happy

I cannot compare to other canadian cities because I have not lived in any of them and have only have brief visits to a couple, but I would say it is better than most UK ones if that helps
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:08 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

What's Calgary like?

Depends what you're looking for. For me, it's been absolutely fine for a few years. The oil industry means well-paid work for me, which means a comfortable life for my wife and family, and the mountains mean excellent hiking, camping and skiing. So that's the not-inconsiderable plus-side.

But, there's an undoubted shallowness to life here too, though I'm certain that that is not an issue exclusive to Calgary. I think it's more that a typical suburban "middle-class" existence anywhere in Canada is pretty vacuous to the point of being soul-destroying. Having said that, I'm sure there are lots of people who are perfectly happy living in similar identikit estates on the edges of unremarkable towns all over the UK.

Calgary's fine for a stint, but personally, I am glad at the thought that it's not forever.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
But, there's an undoubted shallowness to life here too, though I'm certain that that is not an issue exclusive to Calgary. I think it's more that a typical suburban "middle-class" existence anywhere in Canada is pretty vacuous to the point of being soul-destroying. Having said that, I'm sure there are lots of people who are perfectly happy living in similar identikit estates on the edges of unremarkable towns all over the UK.

Calgary's fine for a stint, but personally, I am glad at the thought that it's not forever.
Perhaps you should have tried living in an older non-identikit neighborhood.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:24 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you should have tried living in an older non-identikit neighborhood.
I have no problem with where I live - it's a genuinely nice area.

I've never lived for more than 3 years anywhere in my adult life, so, as I enter my 4th year in Calgary, it's only natural that small things are beginning to irritate me more and more. To be fair to Calgary, they're not specifically to do with Calgary, but are more 'general irritations of Canada as a whole'.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I have no problem with where I live - it's a genuinely nice area.

I've never lived for more than 3 years anywhere in my adult life, so, as I enter my 4th year in Calgary, it's only natural that small things are beginning to irritate me more and more. To be fair to Calgary, they're not specifically to do with Calgary, but are more 'general irritations of Canada as a whole'.
Just pointing out that not all neighborhoods are identikit, just those built after the mid-seventies.

That likely also applies to Canada as a whole.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Just pointing out that not all neighborhoods are identikit, just those built after the mid-seventies.
Not unlike many cities in the UK, although that dates back in some areas to late 19th century and on.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:53 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Not unlike many cities in the UK, although that dates back in some areas to late 19th century and on.
i hear you, much of manchester's inner city areas look like the street. Other than that, its horrific 1950s council houses and 1970 developments with endless housing estates identical in nature. Now that's soul destroying. I was also hoffified to see that manchester has discovered the north american strip mall:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/superio...7620336175045/

what was more disconcerting, was the fact that the family were banging on about it as though it was some modern, urban marvell to be beholden by all.

Then there was Ashton Moss lesiure Park that was somehow transported from North American Surburbia, consiting of a cinema, fake pub, nandos, bowling alley etc and commerical:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...:0&tx=76&ty=73

Last edited by dboy; Oct 12th 2010 at 4:11 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

andrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Chookie
Ok not read all the replies yet, but I quite like Calgary.

Yes it is boring, dull and predicable, but it is a "nice" city to live in (am speaking as a mother of 4 kids here).

We live in the 'burbs in the far NW, and it is GREAT for kids... there are loads in our block alone - I regularly "loose" my kids because they are at someone elses house (about 12 possible kids or the "field" (ie the playing field just down the road)).. only downside is that I regularly have a back garden/house full of OPK's (Other Peoples Kids)

I do like Calgary - after where we used to live in the UK (Leeds, Sheffield and Nottingham) it seems a fairly safe city - far less violent crime for starters, the transit from where we are is good (we are just off Center Street/Harvest Hills Boulevard so there is the BRT bus downtown) Schooling for the kids is better than in the UK (my kids are part of the arts based program - nothing like this existed in the UK - they are thriving and loving it) - all in all I am happy

I cannot compare to other canadian cities because I have not lived in any of them and have only have brief visits to a couple, but I would say it is better than most UK ones if that helps
Hi chookie,
Your street sounds just the place for us, as myself, my wife and 4 kids(age 13,7,5,4) will be on route to calgary in feb/march(LMO PENDING). We have been looking at NW/SW areas.I fancy nw but my oh wants closer to her new place of work in town (around foothills area). I fancy harbour lake or hamptons area, Oh would like closer to her work,maybe somewhere older in se/sw.Where would you advice us to look at we would love it to be very kids related ie open areas,parks,otherkids,swimming,schooling ext.A newish house to rent for a year or two would be my choice but we are open to ideas. My wife will be flying in around the 8th dec for a week so weather permiting will have a look around then.
Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.