British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Calgary to Vancouver road trip (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/calgary-vancouver-road-trip-705632/)

Jerv73 Feb 16th 2011 7:09 am

Calgary to Vancouver road trip

Greetings to you all,

I have been visiting this forum for some time and have found the information people have given very informative and invaluable on several occasions when I have encountered problems.

My wife, nine month old son and I have just received our passports back from the Canadian embassy and have arranged a trip over to Canada to activate are PR status at the end of April, albeit we will initially be returning to the UK to get everything here sorted out and return late summer.

This time we are going to arrive in Calgary and take a road trip to Vancouver and visit a few towns and cities to see what they have both for work and recreational activities. A few of the places we are planning to visit on route are Cranbrook (Fernie/Kimberley), Nelson, Vernon, Burnaby and finally Vancouver as we hope to see what each place would have to offer and whether we could find suitable employment.

Although this trip is not primarily a holiday I was hoping the forum members would be able to suggest some fun activities or places to visit for the family and any recommendations on where to stay and eat while on our travels (these do not necessarily have to be in the places mentioned above).

Many thanks in advance for you help.

MegaJamie Feb 16th 2011 2:22 pm

Re: Calgary to Vancouver road trip

In the summer gone I did Vancouver to Jasper alla the Rocky Mountaineer and then rented a car from there to Calgary.

It looks like a few of your destinations hug the border, so going all up to Jasper would probably be a waste considering the direction But the Icefields Parkway is the most picturesque road I have ever driven on, so if you can be convinced to go to Banff > Lake Louise > Jasper I would definately consider that.

Up there you can go bear watching to white water rafting, Lake Lousie can be a day trip rather than spending the night really, but you can go hiking and kayaking there on the lake, Don't fall in though, its freezing!

At the very least, do Banff with a day trip to lake Louise, looking at the map its barely out of the way than driving straight to Nelson, 618km vs 635kms according to google.

Vancouver has Whale Watching activites and things like that once your there, and even paragliding too. However all these activites with a small child in the mix are gonna be a bit tougher to fit in!

hellcats Feb 16th 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Calgary to Vancouver road trip

My husband, myself and 3 year old son did the Calgary to Vancouver route and loved it. We went a different route to you, we did the high road as opposed to your low road. We went from Calgary yo head smashed in buffalo jump, then up to Banff, Lake Louise, up the Icefields parkway to the Athabasca glacier, Then Golden, over to Revelstoke, Salmon Arm, Kamloops, Cache creek, Chilliwack, Cultus lake then into Vancouver. We took our time and did it in 9 days with plenty of stops for our 3 year old.

Are you driving and staying in accommodation or are you hiring an RV?

What ever you do you will have a great time.:thumbup: