Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

calgary, vancouver or elsewhere?

calgary, vancouver or elsewhere?

Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

lauralil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: calgary, vancouver or elsewhere?

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Amazingly enough there are loads of children who live quite happily in Calgary!

Seriously though, the cold isn't THAT intense for most of the time. Today I went out, admittedly in a nice warm car, and didn't even put a sweater on, let alone a coat. It's about -7 outdoors, but I wasn't planning getting out of the car! It's a beautiful sunny day.... sunglasses are a must.

We live in Arbour Lake, NW. All winter there are kids out on the lake skating, playing hockey or ice-fishing, and COP is just across the valley (10 mins and you are on the slope if that's what you want) There are new schools now in the community, and the new extension of the C-train brings you right to Crowfoot, which is a plus.

The schools let kids play out to about -20 I think, so long as there's no wind and they have warm coats, hats and gloves it is not a problem. So if COLD is your main objection, I'm just saying: it need not be.
Well it WAS, but having read this it kind of changes my mind slightly! It may help if I can get to know some families with young children and get more clued up.

I guess that children are fine, just me being the protective mother type and worrying about them adjusting to such a change in weather!

thanks for that info
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You can still buy a livable single family home (detached house) in Metro Vancouver for under $400,000. Obviously, you have to make compromises: a less than great street, or on a strata lot. Push your budget up to $450,000 then you can start to look at better streets. Many people look for move-in ready properties so if you have a bit of imagination and are reasonably handy then there are bargains around at that price.
Fortunately other half is an electrician with a broad range of building skills....we have talked at much length about massive renovation though with 2 children I'm not entirely sure its possible. I know that we could cope with living on a building site but the children might not be so keen!

Haven't considered strata...I will have to check them out as I don't know much about them. There is such a huge difference in housing that in some respects I'm clueless....much research to take place!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralil
Fortunately other half is an electrician with a broad range of building skills....we have talked at much length about massive renovation ...
I wasn't thinking about a massive renovation. More a lick of paint. That said, a new kitchen, 2 bathrooms, paint and light fixtures could easily be done for $20,000 if you do the work yourselves, and within a couple of weeks. You would get your money back, and more, when you sell if you've selected a good location.

Haven't considered strata...I will have to check them out as I don't know much about them. There is such a huge difference in housing that in some respects I'm clueless....much research to take place!
Lots of useful information in the wiki ... http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Housing-Canada

Last edited by JonboyE; Dec 28th 2009 at 5:51 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

I wasn't thinking about a massive renovation. More a lick of paint. That said, a new kitchen, 2 bathrooms, paint and light fixtures could easily be done for $20,000 if you do the labour yourselves, and within a couple of weeks. You would get your money back, and more, when you sell if you've selected a good location.

Lots of useful information in the wiki ... http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Housing-Canada
Just trawling through it all!! Many thanks
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

That said, a new kitchen, 2 bathrooms, paint and light fixtures could easily be done for $20,000
It can? Just getting some prices in for a new kitchen and its looking like way more than that for nothing over the top. Looking like we're nearer $50k for the kitchen and appliances alone.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
It can? Just getting some prices in for a new kitchen and its looking like way more than that for nothing over the top. Looking like we're nearer $50k for the kitchen and appliances alone.
I wasn't including the appliances. Cases, doors, standard counter-top and hardware for a medium size kitchen from Ikea is less than $10,000.

Bath, sink, vanity and shower hardware can be had for $2,000 in Home Depot.

It is not high-end stuff but it is perfectly serviceable and will make a huge different to a tired 60s or 70s home.

Edit: Fridge, stove and dishwasher - a budget of $2,500 is sufficient for white goods. Easily double+ for brand name stainless steel ones.

Last edited by JonboyE; Dec 28th 2009 at 6:14 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:19 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

I wasn't including the appliances. Cases, doors, standard counter-top and hardware for a medium size kitchen from Ikea is less than $10,000.

Bath, sink, vanity and shower hardware can be had for $2,000 in Home Depot.

It is not high-end stuff but it is perfectly serviceable and will make a huge different to a tired 60s or 70s home.

Edit: Fridge, stove and dishwasher - a budget of $2,500 is sufficient for white goods. Easily double+ for brand name stainless steel ones.
why not have a look at Cochrane its about 20 mins outside Calgary and although its a growing town it still has the small town feel and friendly people that you need to help you settle in. There are also many Brits in Cochrane... i call it 'Little Britain'. lol. Here we are only 1 hours drive from Banff and sunshine but I recommend Lake Louise. My husband and i are skiers and we used to travel over Europe every year skiing and I can honestly say Lake Louise is equivalent to the Tignes area, albeit not as big, but for slopes and conditions its fab and its only just short of 2 hours drive from Cochrane! I love the fact of no rain here and yes the winters can be cold but its true you do get used to it and its not the same cold as the UK, we had -40 the other week but you just get your ski jacket on and your snow tyres and carry on. My kids don't complain either so its not that bad. Its true also we get so much sunshine, its so bright and sunny today it makes you want to sunbathe! Perfect skiing weather. I couldn't live in Calgary or the city limits but i love Cochrane and its housing prices have dropped alot this past 12 months. We have no crime here, well none that you hear of anyway and there are some great shops here too. Its only 15mins drive to the Malls which have everything you need. Check it out you won't be disappointed as we are surrounded by the Rockies with fab views which you don't really get closer to Calgary.
The downside is that we have no public transport other than the commuter bus to the city in a morning so driving is a must...a pain yes but you get used to it. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Would just like to add, DON'T expect COP to be anything more than a sledding hill with a chair lift (and EXCEPTIONALLY Icy).
Unless they are only interested in terrain parks, which the OP said she was. I can't imagine a better hill or place to be in Alberta, B.C. for evening access to such facilities within the City limits
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatcat65
I couldn't live in Calgary or the city limits but i love Cochrane
If you live on an acreage I apologise for what follows but, if you live in a cookie cutter house on a residential "community" in Cochrane, please explain to me how your life is different to those that live in such communities in Calgary (except the slightly shorter commute to the Rockies)
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:49 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If you live on an acreage I apologise for what follows but, if you live in a cookie cutter house on a residential "community" in Cochrane, please explain to me how your life is different to those that live in such communities in Calgary (except the slightly shorter commute to the Rockies)
ha ha, yes i do live on an acreage, but Cochrane does have a small town feel and you can walk down the street and know people!!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Unless they are only interested in terrain parks, which the OP said she was. I can't imagine a better hill or place to be in Alberta, B.C. for evening access to such facilities within the City limits
EXACTLY! haha

We're used to the icy slopes of UK domes....so ice on a hill with park features every night is our idea of heaven! That way we get to practise rails, boxes and kickers and head out of the city for loads of powder!

Just spent the last few hours researching calgary and its certainly looking a lot better and have read about the winters and they don't seem so bad either.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

It's the ten minute break in the views of all the other cookie cutter houses that makes all the difference!

Going up Highway 1A gives you time to take a breather, look to your left and absorb the views - and then open the door to your own cookie cutter house and feel somehow distanced from the city hub-bub.

But I totally get where you are coming from and agree for the most part. Access to public transport is the downside here. Otherwise, it's lovely! And maintains that oft-lamented "community" feel that we all seem to hanker for
Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:28 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralil
EXACTLY! haha

We're used to the icy slopes of UK domes....so ice on a hill with park features every night is our idea of heaven! That way we get to practise rails, boxes and kickers and head out of the city for loads of powder!

Just spent the last few hours researching calgary and its certainly looking a lot better and have read about the winters and they don't seem so bad either.
How long does it take to get from Calgary to the ski slopes of the Rockies?

Edited to add - Google maps are my friend. Cochrane to Canmore looks to be about an hour. I'd go with that choice for you, personally. House prices look ok for your budget too.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=8757488

Last edited by el_richo; Dec 29th 2009 at 10:34 am.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fatcat65
ha ha, yes i do live on an acreage, but Cochrane does have a small town feel and you can walk down the street and know people!!
I do envy you. Although, believe it or not, it is possible to know people living in communities within the City!

Originally Posted by ann m
It's the ten minute break in the views of all the other cookie cutter houses that makes all the difference!

Going up Highway 1A gives you time to take a breather, look to your left and absorb the views - and then open the door to your own cookie cutter house and feel somehow distanced from the city hub-bub.

But I totally get where you are coming from and agree for the most part. Access to public transport is the downside here. Otherwise, it's lovely! And maintains that oft-lamented "community" feel that we all seem to hanker for

I think Cochrane is great so I certainly wouldn't bad mouth it. As you know, we live in the south of the City, overlook Spruce Meadows and have an uninterrupted view of the Rockies that will never be obscured by new buildings (thanks to Spruce Meadows).
Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

twotoast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lychee
Major difference between the two is how the climate affects the cities. Calgary is typically brown for most of the year
Hmmmm. Calgary is certainly not 'typically brown for most of the year' at all. it is true that spring is very brief, but there is a terrific 6 month growing period where plants and trees grow very quickly - I am an avid gardener, and as long as I use plants suited to the climate/soil etc, I can easily get the same growth as in the UK. it is odd to see spring bulbs blooming in the summer though! Generally, I would say that the grass is very lush and green during the 6 months - and for the majority of the rest of the time, everywhere is covered in snow!

Does it really matter where you want to live at this stage? Why not get your application in and then spend some time coming over and visiting so that you can see for yourself?

Good luck with wherever you choose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.