Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary to USA road trip, any suggestions

Wikiposts

Calgary to USA road trip, any suggestions

Old Feb 14th 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calgary to USA road trip, any suggestions

Due to change of plan have found myself with two weeks off this weekend so looking to hit the road to the USA from Calgary.

Have an 18 month old so dont want to go to the extremes, but are looking at possibly Calgary, Surrey BC, Seattle, Portland Oregan etc and a loop back up to Calgary.

Any one done it, any tips ideas or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Also what do I need for crossing the border, i am a Brit but my wife and child are Canucks?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 2:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary to USA road trip, any suggestions

Originally Posted by Lamin
Also what do I need for crossing the border, i am a Brit but my wife and child are Canucks?
You : British passport and PR Card. Wife/children : Canadian passports, normally.

Do you have all these? And are you sure you're admissible to the United States?
Old Feb 14th 2010, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

i once did a trip like yours starting and ending in Seattle

crossed into Vancouver area, up to the mountains as far as Columbia Icefield and then headed down through the Kootenays, acroos to the Okanagan, and eventually croosed back into USA at Osoyoos

beautiful countryside all the way

stayed in a lot of lovely B&Bs

in winter? maybe not so much fun

suggest you are ready for snow driving
Old Feb 14th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

not a great time of year for a road trip, i'd be inclined to jump on a plane to cuba
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lamin
Have an 18 month old so dont want to go to the extremes, but are looking at possibly Calgary, Surrey BC, Seattle, Portland Oregan etc and a loop back up to Calgary.
I don't doubt the route would be nice - but nicer in the summer - but that is a lot of hours and mileage in a car.

We headed south into Idaho and Montana last summer (which was gorgeous and too hot!) but my kids complained about the amount of driving then.

I guess an 18 month old can't complain too much, and might still enjoy sleeping in the car, so you could get away with it!

Depending on finances available, at this time of year I might try for a flight further south into the US.

Regardless, have fun!