Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary Suburbs/Living

Calgary Suburbs/Living

Old Jul 17th 2017, 3:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Suburbs/Living

Originally Posted by h35j34
I love when I holiday in Europe, went away start of June and not a drop of rain the whole time I was there 14 days, one overcast morning, just brilliant. I lived aboard for a year or so when I was younger (well early 20s) and loved the warm weather
This doesn't suggest that Canada would suit you. Have you looked at Australia?
Old Jul 17th 2017, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that Calgary gets "4 proper seasons" as those in eastern Canada seem to get.

It starts to get cold in October and remains so until March. It then warms up and has rain in June or July. It is then usually dry until the snow falls.

The temperatures are similar to what most experience in southern England in the summer but with much less precipitation. After the rain in June and July the grass dies a slow death until it turns yellow, where it remains until it turns green again in Spring. While there are definite Winter and Summer periods, where Spring and Autumn start and end is not easy to determine.

For example, we have lots of trees on our property, some of which are deciduous. One minute the leaves are "alive" and over a period of about 4 days they discolour and fall. Blink, and it is easy to miss it.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I don't believe that Calgary gets "4 proper seasons" as those in eastern Canada seem to get.
Only three seasons here, no Spring, just a short period of meltwater flooding with much mud, then very hot. Maybe farther east?
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h35j34
I love when I holiday in Europe, went away start of June and not a drop of rain the whole time I was there 14 days, one overcast morning, just brilliant.
Sounds like you just need to move south a bit then! I'm in southern England and we're desperate for rain here, fed up of watering my garden and still not a drop forecast all week.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:56 pm
Banned

h35j34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I had read that Calgary was a more 3 season place, well 3 moths summer, 1month autumn and a long winter.

I would rather a place with more sunshine, but the costs involved in somewhere like Australia is just too much, and process also. Canada is straight forward and not going to break the bank in the process and if we decided it wasn't for us, then no great loss.

Ive considered the south west of England as the summer is at least more justified as a summer than what I get now, however Manchester is a better option for work and house prices, but although better weather than central Scotland, its not much of an improvement

Last edited by h35j34; Jul 17th 2017 at 5:58 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 3:42 pm
Banned

I think Calgary or Toronto will be an improvement on where I am weather wise anyway, and gives me the benefit of living, working etc in another country for a change. Able to visit some places in the states while we are there and see that side of the world for a while anyway.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 7:42 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Only three seasons here, no Spring, just a short period of meltwater flooding with much mud, then very hot. Maybe farther east?
Interestingly it has been hotter in Alberta this summer than Ontario so far.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 1:06 pm
Banned

Well its got to be a better summer than where I am, last 2 days of heavy rain, overcast, mist...and this is summer, was really nice last Tuesday then that was it!!