Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary pushes past Vancouver

Wikiposts

Calgary pushes past Vancouver

Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:28 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary pushes past Vancouver

Article in today's Calgary Herald written by Don Cayo a columnist with the Vancouver Sun.

http://digital.calgaryherald.com/epa...d=HU3W1CLL2FQ4

According to the article Calgary now has more head offices (109) than any other city in Canada. Vancouver has 80 which apparently is still more than either Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal.

Those two figures were a huge surprise to me.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:57 am

Default Re: Calgary pushes past Vancouver

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Article in today's Calgary Herald written by Don Cayo a columnist with the Vancouver Sun.

http://digital.calgaryherald.com/epa...d=HU3W1CLL2FQ4

According to the article Calgary now has more head offices (109) than any other city in Canada. Vancouver has 80 which apparently is still more than either Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal.

Those two figures were a huge surprise to me.

Hmmmmm...92 views and no comments.

That says a lot in itself.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I karma-ed you yesterday for the interesting link, have a look
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I karma-ed you yesterday for the interesting link, have a look
I saw that and thank you, I guess I should have said only one comment but I really meant replies.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:12 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Hmmmmm...92 views and no comments.

That says a lot in itself.
It's a subject that people on this forum don't know much, if anything, about and wouldn't be able to comment on without looking into it further. I'm a researcher by trade and naturally curious. Even I can't be bothered to go digging. I think that's why there are no replies.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It's a subject that people on this forum don't know much, if anything, about and wouldn't be able to comment on without looking into it further. I'm a researcher by trade and naturally curious. Even I can't be bothered to go digging. I think that's why there are no replies.
I started framing a reply, suggesting small short lived companies in boom-bust economy vs. large stable companies in staid cities, but dozed off in the middle of writing it.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I started framing a reply, suggesting small short lived companies in boom-bust economy vs. large stable companies in staid cities, but dozed off in the middle of writing it.
Now that's more what I was expecting.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:18 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'll reply to you Steve...

Interesting article, but it would be more interesting to see how many of those 109 companies are pan-Canadian companies, compared to how many are centred on the oil & gas industry, or indeed companies whose business is mainly in Alberta/Western Canada. Take out oil & gas related service companies, and the number probably falls somewhat.

The article is not entirely accurate... for example Fluor is not headquarted in Calgary - its' HQ is in Irving, Texas. There are probably other examples where Calgary is wrongly credited with the HQ.

True enough though about the short-sightedness of the changes at the "EnCana Banana".
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Oh, I'll reply to you Steve...

Interesting article, but it would be more interesting to see how many of those 109 companies are pan-Canadian companies, compared to how many are centred on the oil & gas industry, or indeed companies whose business is mainly in Alberta/Western Canada. Take out oil & gas related service companies, and the number probably falls somewhat.

The article is not entirely accurate... for example Fluor is not headquarted in Calgary - its' HQ is in Irving, Texas. There are probably other examples where Calgary is wrongly credited with the HQ.

True enough though about the short-sightedness of the changes at the "EnCana Banana".
I think that you'll find Fluor Canada is considered a different company. Just as Shell Canada is considered separate from Shell in the Hague.

I thought it interesting that it was not written by a Calgarian.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:56 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I had to check that it was the Calgary Herald, and not a Vancouver paper!

Being pedantic (sorry!) ... Fluor Canada is, and always has been, a totally-owned subsidiary of Fluor Corporation. The Calgary office is, in effect, a "local" Head Office, not the corporate HQ.

Shell Canada (until last year) was an effectively independent separate company, not a subsidiary of Royal Dutch/Shell. But in 2006/7 RDS bought out the shares in Shell Canada, and only now is it actually part of the global Shell group, under direct control of the RDS board. The independence is why Shell Canada do things differently to the "rest of Shell."
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:07 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Yes, I had to check that it was the Calgary Herald, and not a Vancouver paper!

Being pedantic (sorry!) ... Fluor Canada is, and always has been, a totally-owned subsidiary of Fluor Corporation. The Calgary office is, in effect, a "local" Head Office, not the corporate HQ.

Shell Canada (until last year) was an effectively independent separate company, not a subsidiary of Royal Dutch/Shell. But in 2006/7 RDS bought out the shares in Shell Canada, and only now is it actually part of the global Shell group, under direct control of the RDS board. The independence is why Shell Canada do things differently to the "rest of Shell."
Is this what we call a shell company?