Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary Police...Anyone applied, gone through Testing?

Calgary Police...Anyone applied, gone through Testing?

Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calgary Police...Anyone applied, gone through Testing?

Considering applying to Calgary Police under the Provincial Nominee Programme. I am aware that they are currently in London, had a nice chat to them at the Immigration Fair in Sandown on Friday. What I would really like to know is if anyone has sat the entrance test, either in London or in Calgary? What did it consist of and how long did the testing last? Are you given the results there and then or do you have to wait for them? :scared:

Also has anyone been to Calgary for the Physical / interview testing side of the process. What was the course like, and any pointers for improving fitness ? Where did you stay, or do they provide short term accommodation?

Any info would be very gratefully received.

Cheers

Stef
Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

The Welshman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary Police...Anyone applied, gone through Testing?

Hi

try this http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...aysprune=&f=79 as there is a section on Police.
Hope this help's.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Welshman
Hi

try this http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...aysprune=&f=79 as there is a section on Police.
Hope this help's.
Hi
Thanks for the link, trust me to post in the wrong place?
cheers Stef
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:56 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephanie McLachlan
Hi
Thanks for the link, trust me to post in the wrong place?
cheers Stef
not at all, but its easily missed on here as this site is so popular with so many threads, unless your thread is visited a lot it soon dissapears from the first few pages. send me a mail and i'll go through it with you or phone, i'm off to edmonton and have taken all the tests which are exactly the same.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rae
not at all, but its easily missed on here as this site is so popular with so many threads, unless your thread is visited a lot it soon dissapears from the first few pages. send me a mail and i'll go through it with you or phone, i'm off to edmonton and have taken all the tests which are exactly the same.
Hi Rae,

Thanks for that, can you pm me with your details. Have you found the whole process positive?

Cheers
Stef
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

ladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the rough

My hubby went to the seminar with me on Friday at the racecourse and up to the Embassy today, he retires July 07 so we thought lets see what they have to offer.

Anyway we are a long way off deciding although after 30 years with Surrey Police he knows nothing else

I know where he wants to go on holiday next year though thats a first
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ladysurrey
My hubby went to the seminar with me on Friday at the racecourse and up to the Embassy today, he retires July 07 so we thought lets see what they have to offer.

Anyway we are a long way off deciding although after 30 years with Surrey Police he knows nothing else

I know where he wants to go on holiday next year though thats a first
Hi,

You probably saw us at Sandown, we stopped behind for the personal audience with the decision makers re friends of ours in the job who were processed within 6 months without a job offer. Seemingly the person who was expediting those applications has since been moved from that job. The problem I have is that my hubby doesn't want to police in Canada....but knows nothing else. I have a certain need to maintain my lifestyle in my new life??
Regards
Stef
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Martin S is an unknown quantity at this point

Considering applying to Calgary Police under the Provincial Nominee Programme. I am aware that they are currently in London, had a nice chat to them at the Immigration Fair in Sandown on Friday. What I would really like to know is if anyone has sat the entrance test, either in London or in Calgary? What did it consist of and how long did the testing last? Are you given the results there and then or do you have to wait for them? :scared:

Also has anyone been to Calgary for the Physical / interview testing side of the process. What was the course like, and any pointers for improving fitness ? Where did you stay, or do they provide short term accommodation?

Any info would be very gratefully received.

Cheers

Stef
HI Stef, I sat all the tests in Calgary in July spread over about 7 days. Its very intensive and thorough, certainly more than UK police forces. Tests consist of a fitness test, written multiple choice tests, phsycometric tests, interview panel and lie detector! Key is to be open and TOTALLY honest with regards to your answers on the application forms (PDF - personal Disclosure Form) and be physically fit (fitness levels/requirements are the same whatever sex you are). Luckily we have family in Calgary so stayed with them for the duration. I was given the results as I completed the test, to enable me to progress to the next one. Feel free to PM me for any further info. I start in Calgary Police on January 8th, having just resigned from Humberside Police and we fly out on November 18th and I can't wait!!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Martin S
HI Stef, I sat all the tests in Calgary in July spread over about 7 days. Its very intensive and thorough, certainly more than UK police forces. Tests consist of a fitness test, written multiple choice tests, phsycometric tests, interview panel and lie detector! Key is to be open and TOTALLY honest with regards to your answers on the application forms (PDF - personal Disclosure Form) and be physically fit (fitness levels/requirements are the same whatever sex you are). Luckily we have family in Calgary so stayed with them for the duration. I was given the results as I completed the test, to enable me to progress to the next one. Feel free to PM me for any further info. I start in Calgary Police on January 8th, having just resigned from Humberside Police and we fly out on November 18th and I can't wait!!
Hi Martin,
Thanks for the info, just need to persuade hubby that he can still do the testing even at 41.....Do you know what percentage of people you tested with failed badly, if so what on?
stef
Old Oct 14th 2006, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Scotty1972 will become famous soon enoughScotty1972 will become famous soon enough

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the info, just need to persuade hubby that he can still do the testing even at 41.....Do you know what percentage of people you tested with failed badly, if so what on?
stef

From what I have heard, the training for the calgary police is fairly full on. You get to experience pepper spray in the face and tazering (if thats spelt correctly) all in one day.

But apparently at least they let you go home early on that day

Rgds Scotty 1972
Old Oct 14th 2006, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

ladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the rough

Hubby will be 49 when he retires and is still not too old, although I wonder if like the UK he is given extra time for his age. He has to submit a form from our GP to say that he is well enough to carry out the test.

One stumbling block we encountered was he retires as I said Jul 07 and therefore would not be a serving Officer after that date, they were unsure if he could be included if he was not currently serving, as clearly were not willing to walk away from his pension until he is 55. They are currently looking into the situation for him, and given the speed they applications are going through advised him not to stick the form in until November when they should have an answer either.

I would imagine that it would be fine though, as in other jobs when they want experience they dont stipulate you must be employed as just how much is the minimum experience they will accept.

I want to see what he writes down on the lie detector I can feel a bad case of police brutality coming up.

Last edited by ladysurrey; Oct 14th 2006 at 3:22 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scotty1972
From what I have heard, the training for the calgary police is fairly full on. You get to experience pepper spray in the face and tazering (if thats spelt correctly) all in one day.

But apparently at least they let you go home early on that day

Rgds Scotty 1972
Hi Scotty,

Thanks for that. It's pretty much the same here though, you have to have a dose of CS, be beaten with a baton, Handcuffed etc, someone probably gets a kick out of testing these things out on the uninitiated........The Taszar would be 'shocking' pardon the pun, but at least they can't use you as target practice and SHOOT you. :scared: .....Yet..... :scared: .Ha ! Ha !

Regards
Stef