Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary or New York City?

Calgary or New York City?

Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary or New York City?

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Have you visited either of the two places? I can't help but feel like it's kind of comparing apples and oranges.
Or Big Apples to a little nuts.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on how keen you are to make your gf your wife, as that seems a requirement of NY. I think it also depends on whether your gf gets a work visa in those places as well
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:02 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Huh? I've never heard anyone ever compare Calgary to NYC!
Well obviously, you don't live here.

Calgary is 280 sq miles - but that area is actually bigger than the city proper. NYC is 468 sq miles and is surrounded by dense suburbs (e.g. in NJ, Long Island, etc) outside the city boundary. In reality, there's quite a difference in size between the 2 cities and an enormous difference in size between the metro areas.
In terms of land area they're very similar, NYC includes a lot of water remember. They're both around 800 sq. km of land. Looking it up the city of Calgary is 825 sq. km and NYC is 784 sq. km (of land).

The comparison is made to show the difference in population density, it's something people are always blathering on about in Calgary because of urban sprawl, oh NYC is the same size and has ten times the population, blah blah we should build more condos, blah blah.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:04 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dwight-van-man
Stay in Perth. Its a way better option than either of those two locations.
I was going to say, Perth and Calgary are probably quite similar, except Perth has a beach and every time you say it's warm in Perth you say it's chilly in Calgary and whenever you say it's hot today in Perth you say it's cold today in Calgary.

So replace the beach with mountains and that's pretty much the comparison.

Calgary though I suppose is less isolated but it's still pretty isolated.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary drawn on top of NYC:

http://mapfrappe.com/?show=17523
Old Apr 12th 2014, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

Thank you everyone for your advice.

The lifestyle question is one we're considering, but it's not relevant if we won't be able to afford to live there!

I guess what I'd really like to know is whether CAD$90,000 + a realistic bonus of $50-80k is enough to live in Calgary, and how 'good' an income that is, relative to the cost of living.

My partner would also work, and I understand would get around $65k.

Thanks again,

Saintstu
Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

MovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by saintstu

The lifestyle question is one we're considering, but it's not relevant if we won't be able to afford to live there!

I guess what I'd really like to know is whether CAD$90,000 + a realistic bonus of $50-80k is enough to live in Calgary, and how 'good' an income that is, relative to the cost of living.

Thanks again,

Saintstu
Saintstu seems like you are in the same boat as myself, living in Perth and preparing for a life up North, with a huge query on salary v cost of living. I asked the same questions as yourself and looking at your renumeration possibly similar fears. I am on considerably more money here in Perth but after much deliberation accepted a role in Calgary with approx 30% drop in salary - however looking at Numbeo it looks like Calgary is on the whole 25-30% cheaper! rentals hard to find (but so was Perth for years)!

Good luck with your final choice USA v Canada, what a fantastic position to be in to have choices like these.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:27 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MovALot
Saintstu seems like you are in the same boat as myself, living in Perth and preparing for a life up North, with a huge query on salary v cost of living. I asked the same questions as yourself and looking at your renumeration possibly similar fears. I am on considerably more money here in Perth but after much deliberation accepted a role in Calgary with approx 30% drop in salary - however looking at Numbeo it looks like Calgary is on the whole 25-30% cheaper! rentals hard to find (but so was Perth for years)!

Good luck with your final choice USA v Canada, what a fantastic position to be in to have choices like these.
I agree. When my OH was considering a short term move from Calgary to Perth (2009), We found the estimated costs in Perth higher than Calgary.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:39 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Partner and no kids.................. NYC every time ..... when you are fed up with enjoying yourself you could always relocate to Calgary at a later date
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:05 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Calgary drawn on top of NYC:

http://mapfrappe.com/?show=17523
That includes a lot of water though. I'm not the one who came up with this comparison, it's the one that's always trotted out by the Mayor or whoever to compare population densities. And it is correct in terms of land area: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City

But anyway the entire metro area has a larger population than Australia!
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:08 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

By province: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...il108a-eng.htm

By city: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...il107a-eng.htm

In other words you would be way above the median household income.

I find it interesting that Ottawa comes first and Calgary comes second, because Ottawa is the only other place in Canada I've ever really fancied living in.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 2:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again,

Saintstu
Somebody upthread asked an important question to which you haven't responded.

Do you have valid means of immigrating to either Canada or the US?

Unless you're very special, I'd doubt that: and given the rather paltry potential incomes you've mentioned, I don't think you're very special at all.

How old are you?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again,

Saintstu
I would think in NYC your life would be more congested with a commute if you are working in Manhattan as rent/property there is expensive. That being said clothing and food would be cheaper down there.

In Calgary with you and your gf working you'd have a decent lifestyle although you ask the question about what lifestyle you'd have with out actually telling us what your lifestyle currently involves or if investing money or saving for your future is important.

In my opinion a couple with a combined income of $155k and no children that aren't happy have problems outside of money.

$90k is a well above average salary in Canada, in most professions, but with no idea of your industry it's difficult to validate if you are getting what you are worth.

Last edited by JamesM; Apr 13th 2014 at 5:23 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Somebody upthread asked an important question to which you haven't responded.

Do you have valid means of immigrating to either Canada or the US?

Unless you're very special, I'd doubt that: and given the rather paltry potential incomes you've mentioned, I don't think you're very special at all.

How old are you?
Interesting tone to your message. Having a good day?

I must be special as I have migration covered for either location, via company transfer.

The 'paltry' incomes seem to be viewed as above average for either location, so not sure where you're going with that, but what I'm trying to understand is the relative value of the offers.

I'm 37. How old are you?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JamesM
I would think in NYC your life would be more congested with a commute if you are working in Manhattan as rent/property there is expensive. That being said clothing and food would be cheaper down there.

In Calgary with you and your gf working you'd have a decent lifestyle although you ask the question about what lifestyle you'd have with out actually telling us what your lifestyle currently involves or if investing money or saving for your future is important.

In my opinion a couple with a combined income of $155k and no children that aren't happy have problems outside of money.

$90k is a well above average salary in Canada, in most professions, but with no idea of your industry it's difficult to validate if you are getting what you are worth.
Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.