Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary grocery price comparison for July is out

Calgary grocery price comparison for July is out

Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Calgary grocery price comparison for July is out

Superstore came out on top in CTV Calgary's price comparison of grocery items on Sunday, July 13th, giving shoppers the best buying power for their money.

The prices are a snapshot on the given day.

CTV grocery price comparison for July

Cheers
Steve
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:55 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary grocery price comparison for July is out

Got a weird diet the people who do them shops! Why would you need three different types of syrup Also, how is it maple syrup is cheaper in the UK than it is in Canada where it's produced?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by G77
Got a weird diet the people who do them shops! Why would you need three different types of syrup Also, how is it maple syrup is cheaper in the UK than it is in Canada where it's produced?
Why wouldn't you want/need three types of syrup?

Some like maple syrup some don't, I personally don't.

Some prefer Aunt Jemima pancake syrup.

Corn syrup would not be used on pancakes.

Can't answer you last question.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:31 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by G77
Also, how is it maple syrup is cheaper in the UK than it is in Canada where it's produced?

I can not work out that fresh canadian lamb is not found in the safeways/ superstore. I found it once at christmas and a barrell of oil was cheaper!!

But I can buy frozen new zealand lamb.

I can see canadian sheep in the fields, where do they go? who eats them? Do they go to New Zealand and sold really cheap and frozen
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
I can not work out that fresh canadian lamb is not found in the safeways/ superstore. I found it once at christmas and a barrell of oil was cheaper!!

But I can buy frozen new zealand lamb.

I can see canadian sheep in the fields, where do they go? who eats them? Do they go to New Zealand and sold really cheap and frozen
I have no idea where it comes from but Costco has great lamb chops that appear to be fresh.

I shall look closer next time I visit the local store.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

is there a site for nova scotia
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I have no idea where it comes from but Costco has great lamb chops that appear to be fresh.

I shall look closer next time I visit the local store.
For the record Costco are king where fresh meat and value are concerned
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

does anyone know if they use clubcards etc in these price comparisons?

as im sure you know a club card in safeway, or the co op card can mean big savings.. so do these get taken into account or is everything jsut at the full non clubcard price?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Gcauseway has a spectacular aura aboutGcauseway has a spectacular aura aboutGcauseway has a spectacular aura about

Superstore (or Stupid-store as we call it ) may be cheaper overall BUTTTTT their meat is cr*p. Prefer Sobeys and Safeway even if the price is a wee bit higher.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:49 am
ARH
Forum Regular

ARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gcauseway
Superstore (or Stupid-store as we call it ) may be cheaper overall BUTTTTT their meat is cr*p. Prefer Sobeys and Safeway even if the price is a wee bit higher.
Also the service is cr*p in Superstore. Spend ages trying to find anything, then when you get to the checkout, they throw your food down at you at such a pace, you can't keep up with the packing - not fun if you have kids with you.

I refuse to shop at Superstore, would much rather spend extra $20 - $30 in Safeway, get the Air Miles and have your bags packed for you.

Also it's rather ironic that Co-op is the most expensive - it also has the worst quality fresh fruit and veg of any of the other supermarkets. More mould than fruit sometimes!

Last edited by ARH; Jul 17th 2008 at 2:52 am.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

The Hampsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
does anyone know if they use clubcards etc in these price comparisons?

as im sure you know a club card in safeway, or the co op card can mean big savings.. so do these get taken into account or is everything jsut at the full non clubcard price?
According to the blurb just above the comparison tables; "All coupons and membership programs are included and some chains vary prices from store to store. "
So I guess they do.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:58 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

I just think that you are brills steve p for doing this every month, I'm sure it helps new peeps a lot.

Mrs M x