Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary Experiences Pls

Wikiposts

Calgary Experiences Pls

Old Oct 8th 2012, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Experiences Pls

Originally Posted by Steve_
Regular posters should be aware that Steve_ hasn't developed the psychological condition that most people who live here seem to suffer from where they manage to con themselves into thinking it isn't as cold as it actually is.

I've lost count of the number of times I've encountered that phenomenon. It appears to be a coping mechanism a lot of people here develop.

Shall we share stories?

So one day I was driving down 22X, I think in March and the temperature dropped from 9C to -2C in about a minute and there was a loud BANG and a crack appeared across the windshield of my car. Caused by the rapid change in temperature, apparently it happens all the time according to the place I went to to have it replaced.

Or driving along and the drink in the centre console turns into a slushy.

Or going to collect the mail and it's so cold I can feel the inside of my lungs.
You get different opinions on this because some people are really keen on winter sports and are willing to put up with how cold it is in order to do it, but if you're the typical casual skier I think not.

There'd be more visitors during the winter if it wasn't so cold.
Oh yes and I had to "embrace" an equipment cabinet which had just been brought in from standing outside in -20 once and that led to my hand freezing to said cabinet.

This is another thing I hear, "embrace" winter. Yes, I remember thinking that to myself once when I was downtown and stepped out into the street, my foot went through a sheet of ice and my shoe filled up with freezing water. Embracing winter I was.
None of what I said was intended to be critical of your dislike of the winter. But, as I am confident you will admit, you do not like the winter in Calgary.

I suggest you attend Banff or Lake Louise in winter to see how many visitors there are.

I am confident that you will agree that there are a number of ways of ensuring that one's hands do not freeze to items picked up in freezing temperatures: the wearing of gloves is the best one

As my training corporal during basic training used to repeat: "Any fool can be cold, wet and hungry; it takes skill to be warm, dry and fed"
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

sriraksha is an unknown quantity at this point

HI

So apart from the cold weather and other stuff, which jobs are in demand at Calgary ?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 5:18 am
Just Joined

bluesteele is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sriraksha
HI

So apart from the cold weather and other stuff, which jobs are in demand at Calgary ?

Perhaps it's better to begin a new thread with this topic rather than adding to this one which isn't relevant to your particular query.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

HI

You are likely to receive a shorter list if you ask which jobs are not in demand in Calgary
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You are likely to receive a shorter list if you ask which jobs are not in demand in Calgary
cool,so what would be your TOP 5 picks which are in Demand and which are not in Demand ?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

cool,so what would be your TOP 5 picks which are in Demand and which are not in Demand ?
Bluesteele has already requested that you do not hijack her thread with your own questions - please start your own, thx.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Bluesteele has already requested that you do not hijack her thread with your own questions - please start your own, thx.
Hi
SORRY, I just thought it would be more appropriate to use the same thread as its named CALGARY EXPERIENCES. Ill wait until almost Canadian replies an then ill add this in a new thread
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:35 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Hi
SORRY, I just thought it would be more appropriate to use the same thread as its named CALGARY EXPERIENCES. Ill wait until almost Canadian replies an then ill add this in a new thread
notice you were applying for NZ immigration also
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
notice you were applying for NZ immigration also
YEP I'm, Is there any RULE that I shouldn't apply ? ? ?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Let's please get this thread back on track for the OP, thx.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 9:57 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bluesteele
Can't thank you guys enough for sharing your opinions and experiences of Calgary. It's really been helpful :-)
also first real dump of snow this week ; traffic chaos

winter city , of course ; but always someone else to blame

good ol boys blae the asians

the more liberal ol boys blame the folks from out east

the fast drivers blame the slow drivers

the slow drivers blame the city for not clearing the roads

lemming syndrome
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:57 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
None of what I said was intended to be critical of your dislike of the winter. But, as I am confident you will admit, you do not like the winter in Calgary.
Based on the last few days, very few if any people like winter in Calgary! I know people who've lived here all their lives who moan about it.

As my training corporal during basic training used to repeat: "Any fool can be cold, wet and hungry; it takes skill to be warm, dry and fed"
Imx it required wearing my poncho or whatever that plastic thing was called under my field jacket, which was about as waterproof as a towel, because the slightest bit of dampness in the jacket nearly caused you to freeze to death.

As my training corporal during basic training used to say: "Sod this, it's too cold, I'm going to the guardhouse for a cuppa."
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

OK I'm going to chime in as I hated the winters in Calgary. Although I agree with a previous poster, -9 in Calgary is better than +3 in the UK.

Most Canadians deal with it as they don't know any different and for immigrants so many other boxes have been ticked that the weather isn't a big deal.

Visiting in the winter will give you an idea but until you live through a winter with a commute and other aspects of daily life, you won't really know if the weather will wear you down or just be part of life.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

The govt. is actually targetting South African doctors I remember reading somewhere, they want them to move to Fort MacLeod, Pincher Creek, etc. Lot of South African dentists as well.
Were there any GPs not from South Africa? The two I had both started off in Fort Mac and then made the move to Calgary.