Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary Experiences Pls

Calgary Experiences Pls

Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:05 am
Just Joined

bluesteele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary Experiences Pls

Thank-you for the detailed info Steve. Good to have a month by month guideline. 190 days hitting below freezing?! That's not sitting well with me right now!

I'm not too concerned about whether there are South Africans in Calgary or not but thanks for mentioning it.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluesteele
Thank-you for the detailed info Steve. Good to have a month by month guideline. 190 days hitting below freezing?! That's not sitting well with me right now!

I'm not too concerned about whether there are South Africans in Calgary or not but thanks for mentioning it.
It is "officially" below freezing right now, so today, and yesterday, will be days when it is below freezing. I came to work today and yesterday in jeans and a t-shirt (I arrived in the office at 6:45 a.m. so well before the sun rose).

IMO, most people care little about how cold it is when the temperatures are around -9, it's only when it gets below -20 that most have concerns.

Regular posters realize that Steve_ hates winter. Those that ski regularly would not necessarily be put off with skiing at -20 (I prefer it as the hills are less crowded than they are when the temperature is +3).

I don't understand why anyone that doesn't embrace the cold lives in Canada. To me, it is the same as moving to Africa and complaining about the heat.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I don't understand why anyone that doesn't embrace the cold lives in Canada. To me, it is the same as moving to Africa and complaining about the heat.
Couldn't agree more. Why would you do it to yourself?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:42 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It is "officially" below freezing right now, so today, and yesterday, will be days when it is below freezing. I came to work today and yesterday in jeans and a t-shirt (I arrived in the office at 6:45 a.m. so well before the sun rose).

IMO, most people care little about how cold it is when the temperatures are around -9, it's only when it gets below -20 that most have concerns.

Regular posters realize that Steve_ hates winter. Those that ski regularly would not necessarily be put off with skiing at -20 (I prefer it as the hills are less crowded than they are when the temperature is +3).

You could move to the nice part if you get yourself a decent job.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:03 pm
FSH
Just Joined

FSH is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess there are other things to consider besides temperature.
I know quite a few people from south africa. One friend of us has parents who still live in the country on a farm...in south africa. She just bought them a house in a city there because she fears for their lives.
Crime has always been a bigger problem in warm climates...
how many choices does someone have these days if he has to find a job as well?
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

I have been working in IT in Calgary for 12 years. In my experience, Calgary has plenty of choice for IT jobs. I don't know how it compares to Vancouver etc, but I wouldn't have any worries about finding an IT job here.

'Cold' is such a personal judgement. After spending a month in Saskatoon one January, I am much less bothered by winters in Calgary. I'm not sure how cold it was in Saskatoon, because my thermometer stopped at -30C. I just remember my dog looking at me as if she was asking why we were outside when everybody else was indoors.

I find -10C here in Calgary can feel a lot less chilly than a wet and windy day in England at, say, +3C.

When it is nippy in Calgary (say, below -20C), it's usually just for a few days before it warms up. That makes a big difference compared to places like Saskatoon where it seems to get cold and stay cold. By 'warms up' I mean it's comfortable with hat, gloves and scarf on, and I don't mind if I am standing around outdoors waiting for my dog during her morning walk.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

headingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to all

As long as you have 3 winter sports to enjoy Cal-gree is a very nice place to live a raise a family. I much prefer it to SE England at this stage of our lives. Very good skooling for our munchkins

Wages are very high (as long as you do something oil/gas related) relative to living costs. Once you get older and knees or hips get a bit knackered I would suspect winters can be long and not so much fun. Hence the number or wrinklies on Van Island.

I do lots of sports and outdoorsie stuff with saffers, seem to be a happy lot as long as they are active. There can't be any doctors or dentists left in SA much us the same way every other pub in London seems to have a token Auzzie. Ok maybe an exageration but you get the point.
But then again my paradise may be your hell.

Last edited by headingwest; Oct 5th 2012 at 6:23 am.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

I lived in Vancouver for one year, and have now lived in/near Calgary for four years.

I had the pretty typical experience of finding it hard to find decent work in Vancouver while finding the cost of living there very oppressive. Calgary the complete opposite, great job, good cost of living etc.

I would be far less concerned about weather then I would be about going where you are most likely to find good work and living costs. "Weather" is something we very briefly experience while traveling between buildings all day regardless!

Personally between the two I love Calgary weather over Vancouver, the constant overcast weather the drizzle (excepting summer of course) got us down in Vancouver after moving from sunny Australia. Give me cold and sunny any day thanks very much!

Last edited by Budgie1; Oct 6th 2012 at 10:59 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 3:10 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

i'd take the 'we love skiing' bit with a pinch of salt
yes we love skiing too, but quite an effort to get there
very expensive, usually crowded - at weekends when majority of mere mortals go - did i mention the line up 10kms from sunshine on a good day
- we cross country ski/toboggan/walk the dog in fish creek in the snow/hot chocolate etc
but the reality is that for most 5 days out of 7 , in the depths of winter it is a bleak existence ; some never really step outdoors - car-heated parkade-etc

tbh if i'd known what the winters were actually like before i moved here, then i would have re-thought the move

a good comment someone i met re the -20s temps "it's only numbers" until you experience it

and yes, i do dress for winter
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:30 am
Just Joined

bluesteele is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't thank you guys enough for sharing your opinions and experiences of Calgary. It's really been helpful :-)
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:21 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Regular posters realize that Steve_ hates winter.
Regular posters should be aware that Steve_ hasn't developed the psychological condition that most people who live here seem to suffer from where they manage to con themselves into thinking it isn't as cold as it actually is.

I've lost count of the number of times I've encountered that phenomenon. It appears to be a coping mechanism a lot of people here develop.

Shall we share stories?

So one day I was driving down 22X, I think in March and the temperature dropped from 9C to -2C in about a minute and there was a loud BANG and a crack appeared across the windshield of my car. Caused by the rapid change in temperature, apparently it happens all the time according to the place I went to to have it replaced.

Or driving along and the drink in the centre console turns into a slushy.

Or going to collect the mail and it's so cold I can feel the inside of my lungs.

Last edited by Steve_; Oct 8th 2012 at 12:25 am.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:27 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
i'd take the 'we love skiing' bit with a pinch of salt
You get different opinions on this because some people are really keen on winter sports and are willing to put up with how cold it is in order to do it, but if you're the typical casual skier I think not.

There'd be more visitors during the winter if it wasn't so cold.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:33 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Budgie1
Personally between the two I love Calgary weather over Vancouver, the constant overcast weather the drizzle (excepting summer of course) got us down in Vancouver after moving from sunny Australia. Give me cold and sunny any day thanks very much!
My sentiments also. I disagree with JohnBoyE as well about the cost of living, it's not just the difference in sales tax, for example gas usually costs about 20 cents more a litre in lower mainland BC I find.

Also having been into various supermarkets in the Vancouver area, prices were definitely higher. My biggest laugh was "Thrifty" Foods which was about the most expensive supermarket I've ever been in in Canada.

You do have the option of going to the US to go shopping if you want though, which we can't easily do.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:40 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Oh yes and I had to "embrace" an equipment cabinet which had just been brought in from standing outside in -20 once and that led to my hand freezing to said cabinet.

This is another thing I hear, "embrace" winter. Yes, I remember thinking that to myself once when I was downtown and stepped out into the street, my foot went through a sheet of ice and my shoe filled up with freezing water. Embracing winter I was.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
Oh yes and I had to "embrace" an equipment cabinet which had just been brought in from standing outside in -20 once and that led to my hand freezing to said cabinet.

This is another thing I hear, "embrace" winter. Yes, I remember thinking that to myself once when I was downtown and stepped out into the street, my foot went through a sheet of ice and my shoe filled up with freezing water. Embracing winter I was.

Where abouts in Calgary are you Steve, just out of interest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.